HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Honda, where did you get that fantastic mid-fuse wheel?

I gotta have one, and the wing skids!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:38 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,560 Posts
Nice review and its my favorite model. Here is an onboard video I took soon after getting mine last year:

DG1000 with keychain cam (5 min 22 sec)
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:36 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Just got back from maidening the DG-1000 while my son had soccer practice. The jury's still out. It wasn't perfect out of the box. Power was reasonable and climbouts were comfortably 30 degrees or so. With the high thrust line full throttle gives a considerable downward pitch moment on launch and really tames the climbing under throttle you'd expect from a powered glider. It needs a good shove with a decent up angle on launch to avoid pitching into the deck before you can get your fingers on the the elevator stick. I needed a couple of clicks of left rudder and a couple left aileron for straight flight. I also had to put in 6-7 clicks of up elevator on the maiden, but subsequently was able to take that out again after removing the last of the stock nose weights.

Set up according to the manual I found the model very sluggish in the roll axis, bordering on unresponsive actually (and, no, I wasn't trying to do aileron rolls). A couple of times I was giving it full aileron and it continued with wings level for several seconds as if to say "hold yer horses, Dude. I'll get to it in little bit". It really needs rudder and aileron to turn. I found it helpful to think somewhat backwards--turn with the rudder and coordinate with the ailerons. There were a couple buzzards circling overhead at one point and I got a little help from some light lift off and on. It indicated the lift well but was a bit of a hog to control in a thermal turn. It got up as high as I was comfortable with (parkflyer receiver, close to the airport, a nearby club field flying slimers half a mile away) then I was a little nervous about exiting the thermal too aggressively with the model's thin wings. It's certainly not one I would want bail out of lift in a hotliner-style dive from altitude. Turns out the pylon works great as a airbrake in the up position. Ditching the stock aileron y-harness and playing with spoilerons might be helpful there too.

The retracting pylon function was less than perfect too. Even after waiting several seconds after shutting the motor down about half the time the prop didn't stop in the proper position and the pylon failed to fully retract. Sometimes it was impossible to see the failure from the ground unless the prop was completely sideways across the fuse...which happened twice. Now I can see where some of the BEC failures may have come from. That's a full size retract servo operating the pylon. Having that puppy stalled on a failed retraction could really stress the linear BEC.

With the help of the available lift I flew for 30+ minutes from a total of five ~400ft climbouts on a single 1300mAh pack which came back down at 11.56V. There were also several minutes of low power-on cruising during the initial maiden flight. I think I just need to work with it some more. One battery is hardly enough to wring out the plane.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 06, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Kendall, your summary matches my experience of several flights except for one thing: my prop appears to center just fine if I remove all throttle for a few (2?) seconds, and then, the stop catches it and the pod retracts fully. Maybe a better way to say it is that the prop appears to windmill lightly, and is then caught properly by the stop before the pod stows.

Have you tried the "auto" function on the ground to see if the stop is working?

Just a thought.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
And, maybe use a keychain cam as did the pilot, above, to monitor the pod stowing.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:48 AM
Beaufort,SC
Joined Dec 2002
19 Posts
Flew mine at the beach the last couple of days, one battery pack (1100ma) gave me at least a half dozen climb outs and I must have had over a half hour of flying with just a touch of ridge soaring on a small bluff. This thing flew great even in 15 mph + winds.
She's an awesome little bird!
captsteve is offline Find More Posts by captsteve
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:51 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,366 Posts
I just joined the ST Models DG-1000 owners club - What a nice sailplane!

I haven't decided on my computer Tx yet and steering towards the Futaba 6EX 2.4gHz. While learning how to actually fly RC planes with my Radian RTF Dx5e (getting better!), I decided to dive right in on my DG-1000 (segelfliegen) sailplane build and start detailing this with a scale attitude in mind.

The German DG-Flugzeugbau.de website actually encourages RC enthusiasts to use their ref. materials, drawings etc. Great stuff!
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/rc-modellflieger-e.html

I've started a build thread on my blog.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=322490

My main focus was to upgrade the overall scale look of the entire plane with attention to the cockpit and design a sticker set with Suisse registration without compromising the flight characteristics too much and leaving the white foam finish as is.

Cockpit details
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Nice modifications.

May I suggest trying the Hitec Aurora 9?

I have a DX-7, JR X9303 and Aurora 9, and the latter is my hands on favorite.

And, for sailplanes, the programming is outstanding and you can MONITOR the battery on the transmitter display in flight!

That particular Futaba is very limiting and the receivers are quite expensive.

Just my two cents.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:17 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Nice modifications.

May I suggest trying the Hitec Aurora 9?

I have a DX-7, JR X9303 and Aurora 9, and the latter is my hands on favorite.

And, for sailplanes, the programming is outstanding and you can MONITOR the battery on the transmitter display in flight!

That particular Futaba is very limiting and the receivers are quite expensive.

Just my two cents.
My Tx / Rx search always leads me towards the HiTech Aurora 9 again. You can actually monitor the motor battery on the transmitter display while flying? Crazy kewl. I always think I can save some by getting into the an entry level sport Futaba but, really I just need to get the Aurora 9.

Thanks on the mods, wait until I get the stickers on it I've sized and drawn them up, just need to have them cut and printed. After I shoot photos and they are correct, I'll make any adjustments and have the PDF available.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:34 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,560 Posts
Great sticker scheme, Studio RS. From a practical and non scale point of view you need color to the underside of the wings as when thermalling the white becomes hard to see. The DG1000 thermals great.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:31 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Great sticker scheme, Studio RS. From a practical and non scale point of view you need color to the underside of the wings as when thermalling the white becomes hard to see. The DG1000 thermals great.
Thanks for kudos, waiting for my vinyl guru to get these DG-1000 graphics finished. He's always busy with the factory Subaru rallye cars. I could reverse the red registration numbers to show through as white and paint the underside of the wings ALL red like my Radian, my eyes aren't getting any younger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acbb3mSOxKU
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
That is JUST STUNNING: can others buy from your friend, and, if so, how much?
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:44 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
That is JUST STUNNING: can others buy from your friend, and, if so, how much?
Not sure how much, I've got some other cut vinyl mixed in with this order. I can get him to quote on this exact job. I'm sure that he can accommodate. I've sent him the file a few days ago, he just needs to cut and print mine first though! I''ll be uploading a PDF of the same exact file so you can take it your local vinyl cutter and printer or through me.
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 08, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:58 PM
N.W.
Joined Jun 2007
75 Posts
This plane is so cool!!! Just what I am looking for - except I want one I can fly in windy conditions. Wish I could get one just like this that's not a foamy, or at least stronger.

Chris.
happydog500 is offline Find More Posts by happydog500
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
They are sold out at Tower now. I'll be listing one for sale later today !
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83