Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
On my second battery flight the left aileron locked full down. I unplugged it and replugged it and it was OK. On the 3rd battery the left aileron did it again and then again even after switching the right and left aileron channel on the JR 921 receiver. I will call Tower and see if I can get a replacement servo.

I should call Tower, and see if I can get a replacement plane (for my son)
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2008
9 Posts
320pilot-
Great video... you're right- your son was doing a great job of piloting the plane.
I loved the music behind your video- can you tell me who the artist is/what the song is??? Thanks in advance!
Wes
MarTay6 is offline Find More Posts by MarTay6
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,386 Posts
MarTay6
"Death and all his friends" from Koldplay's Viva La Vida. I mixed in some of another song at the end....Life in Technicolor

check out my son again (age 15) flying a Kyosho Ducted Fan A-6 intruder. No music on this video, just the EDF jet engine

A-6 Kyosho EDF maiden (4 min 1 sec)
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
That thing is moving! Congratulations Dad and awesome flying from your son. [insert applause smiley] I bet you both feel great and this more than makes up for the DG-1000 maiden adventure.

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:56 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
The Big Brown Truck'll be dropping mine off tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be having some fun with it this weekend.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:37 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
my friend here in the uk bought one of these dg1000s.
i had the pleasure of its first flight as he didnt have much if any fixed wing experience.
i found it flew really well and even coped with some friuty aerobatics.
several flights down the line and he was piloting it on our local beach when he lost all contact with the glider.
it flew off on its own, no power but a smoke trail as if it were doing a red arrows display.
it flew over the beach, over the water befor circling into a spiral dive into the sea.
luckily there were some canoeists that retrieved the model for us and on inspection the speed controler had fried. (now we should have looked into the motor varying its speed on its own more but put it down to the battery, so the battery was changed for a new one.)
we took the plane back to the shop and had it completely replaced there and then.
so now he has a brand new glider just sitting around.
i need to get him out and flying it!
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:04 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,534 Posts
I put mine together yesterday. The elevator isn't even close to straight. I will have to address that before flying it. Flimsy looking compared to the Radian. But I'll see how it holds up over time.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:39 PM
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
UPS dropped off a big box with a glider in it!! Opened it up, and all is good, but this thing weighs a lot more than I expected for a glider. I guess sometime this weekend I'll find out what it can do.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
MarTay6
"Death and all his friends" from Koldplay's Viva La Vida. I mixed in some of another song at the end....Life in Technicolor

check out my son again (age 15) flying a Kyosho Ducted Fan A-6 intruder. No music on this video, just the EDF jet engine

http://www.vimeo.com/13830868
Scared my donkey!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:16 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,613 Posts
I just called Tower and they are sending me a new servo for the left wing. Great customer service.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
Just got back from my first flights with the DG-1000, and WOW, great glider!! It's my first, and I'll admit it's going to take time for me to learn thermaling, but what a great plane!! Launched it half throttle, and once both hands are on the sticks, open her up to full. It nose dived at full throttle when launched the first time, so the second time was at half, and all was good. Looking forward to getting back out tomorrow see what I can do!! Best $129 I've spent in awhile!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
Chicago Mayor: A Terrorist
USA, CA, SoCal
Joined Sep 2002
400 Posts
I've finally been able to fly mine a few times. Totally agree with southernmd man. The money I've spent on this plane was the best I've spent on any airplane, and I've had and still have quite a few, including a few big scale sailplanes. There's simply nothing better you can buy at this price.
The DG thermals well, and it can turn on a dime. The only sailplane I can fly at the local park. For landing you can either raise the motor for added drag or just fly circles with low bank angle and just level the wings before getting to close to the ground.
My wings had the same damage but it's foam so it's easily repaired.
I am VERY happy with this airplane
I've ordered a tiny retract but it will require some rearranging inside the fuse to accomodate it. I'll report if I get it done
pilotfrank is offline Find More Posts by pilotfrank
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Can you advise which retract?

I'm guessing you will use it for takeoff?

I'd love to do the same-thanks!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotfrank View Post
I've ordered a tiny retract but it will require some rearranging inside the fuse to accomodate it. I'll report if I get it done
It's going to be a tight fit! I'm using an AR500 and a 1300 in mine, and it's cramped in there. Not to say anything of the rats nest of wires. Keep us posted how it goes if you wheel. And don't forget a pair wing skids!!

P.S.
I found a some thermals today for the first time....WOW!! After launching and about 40 seconds with the motor on to get me up to about 300ft, I was up for 30 minutes!! I had to bring it down due to my neck starting to give out on me, lol!! But what a great plane for a first glider.
Last edited by southernmd_man; Aug 28, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:14 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
As stated in the review I bought a DG-1000 and then got assigned one for the review. The picture with the non Futaba receiver also shows a repaired crack in the trailing edge of the wing near the fuselage. That was the one I bought. I was anxious to get it in the air and flew it with radio gear I had on hand. If I had looked closer I wouldn't have posted that picture. My bad. The newer "review" sailplane has only flown using Futaba radio gear. I purchased the Futaba receiver for the saiplane. No attempt to mislead. I am pretty sure it would fly nicely with the Multiplex and Airtronics radios I have reviewed in the past. Mike H
Great review Michael and thanks for all your credits!

Got a Minimoa from HobbyKing HK the other day.....but alongside the DG1000 in performance it is no match!

cheers

Louis
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet