SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:02 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
kyle, take it slow one step at a time. I know you're just as excited as I was to get this thing into the air, I've had to deal with a couple of very minor desing flaws for almost 1 year before I finally decided to get a 2nd zeph. take a look at my pictures before you do each step. even if you lose a day or two, it will make you enjoy your plane much more in the end if it performs perfectly.
really, I'm not rushing. . . I promise. I think the fact that I have had the zephyr for 3-4 weeks now proves that.

My mistakes are all because I am relatively new to building. . . let along RC airplanes. I just started flying RC over a year ago and haven't even flown FPV for 1 year yet. The only "building" that I have done before this was a few mods to my EZ Star for FPV purposes.

But I'm learning. That's a plus.
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
after a while?! I've maxed out the range in the 5th flight
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:43 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Australia, VIC, Balnarring
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
trappy: are you still using the same ground station as you had in that video you made a while back? i have been basing mine on that so is there any better arangement you have discovered since then?
thanks
fpvme is offline Find More Posts by fpvme
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:56 AM
Joined May 2009
380 Posts
Help please. I've been reading several Zephyr build threads to get ideas on how to build my 54" Zephyr. The most basic info is what i can't really find. Where do I want the CG? Without knowing where to balance the wing I have no idea of where to put the battery or batteries. I'm thinking of using two smaller batteries since they llok like they will fit better in the wing.

Trappy put his batteries along the leading edge. Is that going to be a good idea for me? For the initial power I'm planning on using a generic 2830 motor at 1150 kv on 3S. If that's not enough power I'll step it up later. I'm not into speed but rather slow comfortable flying, so lighter is going to be better for me.

And for the final question does anyone ever put landing gear on a Zephyr? I would much rather ROG than hand launch and we have a great runway that was once a runway I can do a 200ft takeoff run if necessary.
davidgp is offline Find More Posts by davidgp
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:08 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
fpvme: I'm back to the tripod, if that's what you mean? the little box I have is still on hold while my Duo is being repaired. I'll be adding a fan to it though, the box caused the duo to overheat.

davidgp: I wouldn't add landing gear, too much fuss and it will probably break. you will need to put batteries close to the front to get the CG right, any way is fine. CG is at 10.5" from the tip
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:24 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
well other than the heating issue i was just wondering if having all the different wires together like you have would causes any interference with the video but i dont notice any affect like that on your earlier non hd movies so there dosnet seem to be a problem with it..
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:28 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
the Duo is shielded quality gear allows cutting a few corners.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:20 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCow007 View Post
lol your battery bay lid is on backwards. you really have issues with orientation dont you? :P
On maiden flight, also make sure you don't have the ailerons reversed. That tends to ruin your day.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Man, this has all convinced me to get my 60" IYF back in the air. Yep, 60", Chris only made a couple of them he said. I never did get the correct power setup for it though. Any suggestions for a 3 and 4s setup (KV, Prop size)? Not looking for a speed demon.

Thanks
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2009
380 Posts
I did some more reading today and I think my motor choice is a little light. The consensus seems to be 400-500watts with a higher Kv using a smaller prop. Like maybe 2000kv with a 7 inch prop instead of 9x6 or 10x6. Am I on the right track? Can you suggest a motor available in the US so I can get it quickly?

I will be using 3S Lipos because I have a whole lot of these.

Many of the motors I've looked at also show a projected thrust. What kind of thrust does a 54" Zephyr like for moderate sport flying or long slow flights?
Last edited by davidgp; Oct 14, 2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:35 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Dave this motor mounts rite up to my u mount.
For lite flying you can go 3s or 4 dep on the prop.

Here is the motor.http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ef=MD2510-1300

Here is the mount.http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...=MDRITEWINGMNT

chris
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:45 AM
Joined May 2009
380 Posts
What size ESC do you recommend for 3S with the Microdan motor? I've got a new 32amp ESC but I think it's right on the edge. Should I go up to a 40 or 50? The Microdan motor and mount should be in the mail soon

Also, do the really flexible "bumpy" rods included in the kit add much strength? I'll use two of them along the leading edge but where do the other 2 go?

I was planning on using two 5000mah 3S batteries. After looking around some more that seems like more than others are using. Should I just use 5000 mah? I'll probably never fly more than 45 minutes or so.

I'm determined to have landing gear. Does anyone have examples of what you have done? There is another Zephyr build thread where the gear is in the picture but no details are given.
Last edited by davidgp; Oct 15, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more questions
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:49 PM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
this is what i have come up with for the ground station:

just got to mount the transmitting gear on the trainer plane now and then the zephyr when i get it going and learn to fpv a wing.

for power im planning on using 2X2350mah rhino's combined with a filter for the transmitter to stop interderence from the esc.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:28 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
looking good. keep the receivers in fresh air or they'll be hot enough to fry an egg and some bacon after a 1h flight.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:41 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
thanks, in that case i may just mount them to the outside of the tripod. my first aircraft fpv will be tomorow if the wheather is not as bad as at was today. so excited