HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
I don't use any CA or kicker on the internal spars, I use expanding poly glue like gorilla glue,this will add strength to the foam that surrounds the spar and help the spar be stronger by having a stiffer medium of foam surrounding .As a system it is super strong.

We all have our different methods.
I've seen folks use that method before, that works fine too. Problem is though it stains horribly on the EPP. With the CA it'll stain white when using kicker (without kicker usually no staining occurs) which doesn't show at all on white EPP. On colored EPP this of course is different. The white stain can (somewhat) be removed with either alcohol or thinner depending on the additives used in the CA.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
---
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:32 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Dont use too much

Not if you use the white quick cure gorilla, and if you dont put too much it wont at all.

Ck


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
I've seen folks use that method before, that works fine too. Problem is though it stains horribly on the EPP. With the CA it'll stain white when using kicker (without kicker usually no staining occurs) which doesn't show at all on white EPP. On colored EPP this of course is different. The white stain can (somewhat) be removed with either alcohol or thinner depending on the additives used in the CA.

Cheers,

Sander.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Not if you use the white quick cure gorilla, and if you dont put too much it wont at all.

Ck
I'm only familiar with the light brown/beige type really, didn't know they had a white type as well. As an aside Gorilla glue isn't readily available in the EU, or at least not at any of the LHSs I frequent, nor online.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:35 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
I do the same method now but use hot glue instead of CA most of the time.
I use thick CA sometimes for the external glass wing rod spars on the top and bottom of ea wing 1/2.

Ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCow007 View Post
I really like CK's gluing technique where you use CA + accelerator to spot glue while your goop/gorilla/etc dries. I used that and cut the slots with the edge of the heat gun cutter for the glass spars, no second tool required (12ga was perfect width).
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:41 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Sander the dark works great,the problem is people usually use ten time more than they need.
If I use the brown dark I will usually only use appx 1/2 teaspoon per wing 1/2 spar hole.
Put a few drops of water in the hole then slide the spar in each hole back and forth to kick it off.


If you guys need any glues I can send it with the kits, PU glue is best with epp only on the internal spar holes and nowhere else.
I use hot glue for the motor mounts and lids,pu glue aka gorilla for the internal spars ,3 m 90 to glue the root of the wings together.

ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
I'm only familiar with the light brown/beige type really, didn't know they had a white type as well. As an aside Gorilla glue isn't readily available in the EU, or at least not at any of the LHSs I frequent, nor online.

Cheers,

Sander.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
Crashomatic
CrashMeUp's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
You can import Gorilla Glue from UK, cheap and quick shipping, no taxes usually.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Sander the dark works great,the problem is people usually use ten time more than they need.
If I use the brown dark I will usually only use appx 1/2 teaspoon per wing 1/2 spar hole.
Put a few drops of water in the hole then slide the spar in each hole back and forth to kick it off.
Right, the 'if I use more glue it'll be stronger' approach

I guess it doesn't matter what color the glue is if you paint/cover/laminate the wing afterwards, which seems to be the norm with the Zephyr anyway. I usually don't do that with my builds, hence on white EPP I don't want anything to show, but that's just me, never mind.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Ps. this is the white Gorilla glue yes?

http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/fastcure/index.aspx

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:56 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
---
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:56 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Servos

Trappy ,I think you are a little shy on throw and torque with the 380 max digi servos.

I would get atleast somthing over 70 oz of torque especially with this newer faster motor.

Like these.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9439

Or even better since they will pull a little less current and are in a good torque range.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9442
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Jul 25, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
Registered User
pedrocca's Avatar
Pirassununga,SP-Brasil
Joined Sep 2009
83 Posts
Klique, I think you're being overkill with those servos...
I have a 2.5m 25% RCGuys Super Decathlon and the manufactor says it needs a minimum of 70oz.in on the surfaces.... But is a 7kg gas airplane!

However I have 10kg.cm MG on all surfaces because I don't want to loose an airplane because of servos.
pedrocca is offline Find More Posts by pedrocca
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:54 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Maybe on a standard plane with a tail,but when you are at 4 and 5 lbs at over 100 mph on a flying wing with 2'' long trailing edges there is nothing like having good solid strong serovos.

Regular tailed aircraft that has way less control surface area will usually need less torque.
Most likely you are not going over 100 mph like the zeph is.
Torque is needed exponentially more the faster you go.
I have had servo issues at high speed its not pretty.The servos I suggest are cheaper than the ones he was referring to.
It is also nice to have the stronger arms and longer throw of the larger servos,the weight of the larger servos usually helps with balance too.

Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocca View Post
Klique, I think you're being overkill with those servos...
I have a 2.5m 25% RCGuys Super Decathlon and the manufactor says it needs a minimum of 70oz.in on the surfaces.... But is a 7kg gas airplane!

However I have 10kg.cm MG on all surfaces because I don't want to loose an airplane because of servos.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:25 PM
Mums the word.
man2000me's Avatar
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Alrighty say I was going to make a 3s version...motor wise,

TGY AerodriveXp 25 SK Series 35-42 1000Kv / 605w http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1000Kv_/_605w

10x6 prop

Good?
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:30 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
70 inch oz should suffice.

ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Alrighty say I was going to make a 3s version...motor wise,

TGY AerodriveXp 25 SK Series 35-42 1000Kv / 605w http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1000Kv_/_605w

10x6 prop

Good?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Mats 54" Zephyr RiteWing Build matwelli Flying Wings 47 Nov 25, 2011 07:24 PM
Discussion Another Ritewing Zephyr build thread trappy FPV Talk 136 Jan 11, 2011 04:25 AM
Build Log My little folding Ritewing Zephyr jimbob00 Flying Wings 10 Sep 19, 2010 07:05 AM
Build Log Building the ultimate Ritewing Zephyr trappy FPV Talk 49 Jul 21, 2010 05:28 PM
Discussion Ritewing Zephyr 1st FPV flight Matt Gunn FPV Talk 13 Sep 18, 2009 09:25 PM