6,411 Posts
what's after 8km?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:19 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
You being the all around no rules or restrictions long range record holder for fpv. But you need to do it all in one trip. Not that it matters for you but engaging a rth or autopilot device voids the attempt as well.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:29 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
ok ... fine. how about I add one more challenge to the mix ... I'll do it with the Supra with 2.200mAh
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:37 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
what's after 8km?
it would be 25km, i haven't seen videos going further
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:40 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
not to be anal or anything, but according to my calculations 18 + 8 equals 26
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:41 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
Quote:
not to be anal or anything, but according to my calculations 18 + 8 equals 26
Sorry I meant to say it would beat the 25km (25+1)
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:47 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
hehe ok. 25km would be mike's flight. it's gas powered and while I find it brave of him to do this flight, it just doesn't fit into what I would consider a worthwile risk for the sole return of going that distance. I'll do the 25km flight if the conditions are good and the flight is as fun as the one was today. if for sole purpose of proving it works out that far I probably wouldn't even bother with doing the return trip. let alone for breaking records ... I don't really see the "kick" in going further than someone else. FPV is more about being creative and finding new challenging routes or tasks. going out in a straight line and coming back in a straight line is probably the last thing I'll ever do in FPV.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:53 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
I suppose it's the same as having the fastest car, climbing highest, etc hehe. Always interesting to push further.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:20 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
hehe ok. let me put it this way. I like making the best fpv flights. I know my setup works out to more than 30km given the right conditions (thermals). I enjoy making long range flights not for the fact that they are long range but because I can see a lot of different things (mountains, buildings, people, vehicles, glaciers, etc) in one go.

just to prove my point, here are a few screenshots from today's flight. I sat at the same place the whole time and saw all that. how can "hey I flew out 1km more than you in a straight line" be even close to as rewarding as having witnessed all this first hand?

So yes, the flight was out to 18km. For some this may be a cool number. I could have probably flown out this far in a straight line a long time ago. But what's the point?!
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:25 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
No problem
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:27 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
nice trappy, nice distance. 500mW, thats awesome.
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:33 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Quote:
hehe ok. let me put it this way. I like making the best fpv flights. I know my setup works out to more than 30km given the right conditions (thermals). I enjoy making long range flights not for the fact that they are long range but because I can see a lot of different things (mountains, buildings, people, vehicles, glaciers, etc) in one go.

just to prove my point, here are a few screenshots from today's flight. I sat at the same place the whole time and saw all that. how can "hey I flew out 1km more than you in a straight line" be even close to as rewarding as having witnessed all this first hand?

So yes, the flight was out to 18km. For some this may be a cool number. I could have probably flown out this far in a straight line a long time ago. But what's the point?!
awesome. simply awesome. would you ever post raw gopro of a whole flight? Or would that reveal too much top secret trappy information?
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:55 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
there's not much top secret trappy information that hasn't been posted. the only thing we did differently in this flight is see how far the battery takes us, then land, call up a friend who was on hold with the batteries. he switched batteries on the ground and gave the Zeph a gentle throw and off we were again to new "heights". all while we sat at the face of a mountain enjoying a sandwich

the gopro footage is more than 1h 15min ... you'll get to see the 5min cut as usual. but if you want to build a plane like mine, the build information is here for everyone to see ... no magic at all!

To be honest, this is what has been puzzling me all this time. The setup I use is stock, completely "out of the box". I don't do any modifications at all. I just put it together and go flying. Others build their own TX antennas, spend weeks or months getting a diversity setup, antenna tracking or RTH to work, modify their RC Tx to an extent it probably will cause them testicular cancer at some point of their career. All while we just take a lawmate 500mW, a standard receiver taped to a tripod with a good receiver antenna, the ImmersionRC products and the L1D vario ... and just go out and fly

of course, when I mention that "this product sucks" or "don't use this it's crap" all of a sudden it gets political. money and jobs are at stake and people's decisions and spent dollars are up for ridicule. "prove me you can fly out this far" or "just a competitor trying to win us over to his side" or "you live in a RF clean environment while I'm surrounded by transmission towers" or "your picture probably looks just as crap as mine". No, no, no and no. I'm just here to show you what I do and tell you what I think. Seems to work well for me, and it will work just as well for everyone else (RiSCyD comes to mind)

/rant end ... maybe I should have posted this in the ET threads, though ... :P
Last edited by trappy; Oct 09, 2010 at 11:19 AM.