Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
yikes, sorry, not much sleep these days

I'm getting 30min flight times with 6600mAh 4S, but could probably go a bit longer (45min to 1h) with a little tweaking. remember this is my 10th flight or so on that aircraft. it's not even 3 weeks old

wings are more reliable (less servos, less cables), more durable, faster and they fly where you point them.

by the way, about 50% of my time spent in the air is done with gliders. I'm not yet comfortable with posting videos of a 3.5m wingspan glass fiber torpedo shooting down mountain slopes low altitude and 150kph ... people give me enough crap for the stuff I post already maybe next year!
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:52 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,329 Posts
I'd love to see these videos Thanks for the answers!!
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:53 AM
Australia. Just like Austria, only hotter and without all the pretty mountains. And a lot further south. And bigger. With Kangaroos...
Joined Oct 2010
46 Posts
Video killed the radio star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
... and heavy modification to the GoPro camera...
I was quite excited to see the fairly recent announcement of new firmware that allows simultaneous record and video out, as this is the way I think I'll go.

Doesn't that help? What other mods required?
FliteRysk is offline Find More Posts by FliteRysk
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
330 Posts
Mictronics is offline Find More Posts by Mictronics
Last edited by Mictronics; Jul 01, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Tired of RCG - Quality can be found at FVLAB
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:57 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Mictronics, just post them here, it's very relevant

FliteRysk: yeah, that's what got the ball rolling ... there have been issues reported of noise when hooking the camera to the onboard electronics. obviously that isn't allowed to happen, so we'll need to do testing and possibly filtering there. and I hate having a separate battery for my "FPV camera", so we'll need to find a way to replace the battery with a switching power regulator that will drive the camera from the main battery. for now I'm pretty happy with how things are (gopro external, special FPV camera on the wing). but the gopro does deliver astonishing quality especially in terms of contrast and "backlight compensation" under good conditions. so that'll make things better for flying close to the ground.
Last edited by trappy; Oct 06, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
330 Posts
Mictronics is offline Find More Posts by Mictronics
Last edited by Mictronics; Jul 01, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Tired of RCG - Quality can be found at FVLAB
Old Oct 06, 2010, 02:10 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,088 Posts
Hey trappy, you said you made a flight 7km and landed at your dad's feet while you were on the mountain, and you didnt have to carry your plane back home...

Would it not be very cool to do a long range flight, land in a remote location (15+km), have a "team member" change your batteries, launch the plane and fly back? You'd be able to get more flying done at long ranges.

If you and RiScYd were to launch at opposite ends of the valley, have a dog fight in the middle, land at each others feet, change each others batteries and relaunch... That'd be a cool exchange, if you could do everything at once, that is!
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:49 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
aaron_gx: that is correct. unfortunately we lost the video because my dad pulled out the SDHC card by mistake. In reality the 2nd "low through town" flight did not end on the mountains, but it ended in the valley next to my dad's feet

I have a few more missions like that planned. the idea is to fly all the way to the other side of the valley, up a mountain, down again and land (~30km round trip). then have someone swap batteries and then fly back. we're still practicing launching the Zeph in FPV mode though ... it's not something I do on a regular basis.

There won't be any "dogfighting across the valley" video, though. At these distances, we'd crap into eachother's video signal on landing approach.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:38 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
There won't be any "dogfighting across the valley" video, though. At these distances, we'd crap into eachother's video signal on landing approach.
If you guys used different video systems (eg: 2.4Ghz and 900MHz), then it would be possible.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
nope, the one on 900MHz/1.2GHz wouldn't get that far and it doesn't really matter what frequency, at that distance and the kind of antennas used I'm sure the video signals would interfere.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:41 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Very true. Never even thought about that.

As far as launching FPV, I do this ALL the time with my skyfun. I know the plane is a lot smaller, but I find it MUCH easier to launch under the goggles, than to launch and switch afterwards. It would be tougher with someone launching the plane for you, since you dont know when they're going to throw it, especially at distance where you have no verbal communication.

Damn, I need to build a zephyr.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:45 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,088 Posts
One day I'm going to see trappy's zephyr buzz overhead long range from austria.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
nope, the one on 900MHz/1.2GHz wouldn't get that far and it doesn't really matter what frequency, at that distance and the kind of antennas used I'm sure the video signals would interfere.
Well, if you're using crappy components, then yeah, I agree. But out of band transmissions should not be a problem otherwise. Afterall, you're the one that said you can fly around transmission towers without any effects.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
twinturbostang: yeah, that's with the tower and the plane being at the same distance. I can't stand 15m from a transmission tower with my plane out 15km ... basic physics for a simple test take your plane out 3km and ask your buddy to turn on his plane. instant static-attack.

aaron_gx: it's very difficult to launch the zephyr, especially the one I have right now. I always go to an elevated place and usually I just barely make it off the ground with a running start. not sure why that is, my smaller zeph is much easier to launch. I'll need to practice the "ritelaunch method", and I'll need to get my friend to practice it too

anyways, let's see how the weather turns out this weekend
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:52 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,088 Posts
Quote:
I'll need to practice the "ritelaunch method", and I'll need to get my friend to practice it too
Is that the reverse launch over your head? That method looks like a recipe for louvered facial epidermis if you dont launch right Especially with you swinging that large of a prop!!!