HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
klique, do I need to? My target weight is 1.9kg, which means I've got 50g margin to play with, and that does not include all the wires, camera, vtx, etc. My weight budget is pretty slim.

If you say she needs the weave I'll add it, but otherwise I'd like to keep it off this time. She's already pretty stiff with just the internal spars and wing spars. If I add the lam foil I'm sure I'll be back to the old strength, which is what I'm after.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:56 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post

from what I see you will be using "riteweave" and some 3M90 for strenght. for a UAV, I suggest to cover the underside completely, but glass only 2 parts of the top of the wing: above the internal spars and along the wing spars. this will keep her light without sacrificing durability.
Yeah, that was the plan. Full strength on the bottom, light on top. Unless something goes terribly wrong, it wont be flying inverted and will need more strength on the bottom than the top.
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Only the very minimal weave if any trappy,not much at all,the lam will add tons of strength.
Do add a good layer of the 90 prior to the lam and let dry for an hr or so.A strip of riteweave over all sparring atleast for torsional and anti flap strength.

The lam will stick to strait epp,but once it disconnects in a crash or bump it wont go back down,the 90' is a very nice renewable medium between the lam and the epp that will add strength and re attachment with an iron with no problems.

Taper the inboard side of the elevons of the zeph in the pick below it flys much better this way.

Quote:
klique, do I need to? My target weight is 1.9kg, which means I've got 50g margin to play with, and that includes all the wires, camera, vtx, etc. So my weight budget is pretty slim. If you say she needs the weave I'll add it, but otherwise I'd like to keep it off this time.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Jul 24, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
ok. I will do a minimal weave across the spars at the bottom. this plane won't be getting to feel the "crazy" side of me, this is more for regular speed (max 100mph) long duration flights. the low tree-top or low mountain dashes will be done with the other Zephyr. so no need for much strength.

by the way, I've been meaning to ask ... what was the AUW of that customer zephyr build you showed us the pics of? and is that the hacker A30 I'll be using? did you use the standard motor mount for it?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Ya thats the same motor, I am looking into a new motor mount that will mount to my plate.
I dont know the AUW ,he still had gear to install in it when it got to him.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:47 AM
3rd crashed thing on the left
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
Hi guys, please pick up your tape measure
I'd like to know the average chord length and the wing area of the baby, if possible.
Thank you
bolshoy75 is offline Find More Posts by bolshoy75
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
3rd crashed thing on the left
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
for thoses who wondered how to safely launch their wings, here is the perfect solution
(safe at least for the pilot)

Kick launching a Flying Wing (0 min 41 sec)
bolshoy75 is offline Find More Posts by bolshoy75
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,652 Posts
rofl!

I dont know why but i find that video hilarious!

Seems to be effective thou...

:-)
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Trappy, in your video are you saying to use CA kicker or not. I didn't really understand that part about the CA Kicker.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:08 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
man2000me: it's your choice you will need more CA if you don't use the kicker, and you'll need to do some cutting to make the surface smooth again.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:13 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Trappy, in your video are you saying to use CA kicker or not. I didn't really understand that part about the CA Kicker.
I'd do it differently anyway, and I have built a very large amount of (EPP) foamies by now.

- Cut slots using a Stanley knife/blade and a steel/alu ruler
- Roughen up spar with some sandpaper, clean with aceton
- Insert spar into slot, make sure wing is straight and not curved
- ***Leave spar in slot***
- Use thin CA (the runny kind!) to glue the spar into the slot, by dripping CA on top of the spar
- Have the thin CA wick in between the spar and foam
- Rock the wing to spread the thin CA out evenly
- Wipe off excess thin CA with a cloth soaked in acetone
- Use kicker to speed up curing the thin CA (leaves white residu, do no use on colored EPP!!!)

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Last edited by ssassen; Jul 25, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
no need to roughen up the spars, they are pre-roughed some other steps in there that I didn't do, though ... but I'm lazy
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
no need to roughen up the spars, they are pre-roughed some other steps in there that I didn't do, though ... but I'm lazy
You know me, I never leave anything to chance

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:25 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
One thing that's important in my procedure though is to *NOT* put the CA in first, but leave the spar in the slot and have the CA wick between the spar and the foam. If you do it the other way around and the CA settles too fast you either have a warped/curved wing, or you'll have to cut the spar out and cut a new slot.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:26 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
I don't use any CA or kicker on the internal spars, I use expanding poly glue like gorilla glue,this will add strength to the foam that surrounds the spar and help the spar be stronger by having a stiffer medium of foam surrounding .As a system of expanded foam around the spar it is super strong.
This is the main reason I drill the spar holes a little oversized, CA will not fill these gaps and the spars will work but will not be as strong with CA alone.

We all have our different methods.