HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:24 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
the motor is in the back because instead of just polishing the guy's head you'd be prying it open with a block of solid metal there

better spend some time to get the CG right than to fiddle with long shafts. but it's certainly possible.

by the way, I'm not sure who had a bigger scare ... that guy or me. he just popped out of nowhere
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:36 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Trappy,

Fantastic man, Fantastic. And here I am stuck in Perth . I really want to get up onto the Darling Scarp and do some "Trappy style" flying .

One day..... One day

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:46 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
Trappy,

Fantastic man, Fantastic. And here I am stuck in Perth . I really want to get up onto the Darling Scarp and do some "Trappy style" flying .

One day..... One day

Regards

Doug
Perth's nice!
You've got the sea and stuff to fly around. It's not the mountain but it's still cool.

Here it's flat and city buildings over 50 kilometers all around Eventually some trees to crash in too of course =)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:54 AM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliteRysk View Post
If that's no good, how about mounting the motor further forward and driving the pusher with a longer shaft (I know balancing it will be tricky, but don't think it's impossible...)?

Cheers!
Multiplex Xeno uses this idea.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 9CHPS
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:59 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I was talking to Chris about my forthcoming Zeph lite build and he gave me lots of great hints and referred me to his U tube vids which are really good. One thing he mentioned that I didn't quite understand was the main spar location. If I got this right, there are three holes, and usually 2 spars, and I think Chris said on the lite build you put them in the forward and middle holes and a heavy build in the rear and middle holes, though I might have mixed this up. What is the reason why the hole location is different for lite vs heavy? You can tell I am new to wings! Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:59 AM
Joined Dec 2007
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
there's some proximity flying towards the end of the vid
Trappy, you have inspired me to try this FPV thing. I already have a few ritewings, and prior to getting into flyingwings i used to do proximity flying in my V1 wingsuit. Family commitments now prevent such debauchery.

Check out this little proxy trailer the Phoenix - fly guys are doing... very much like your downhill flights.

Phoenix-Fly Wingsuit Flying: The Need 4 Speed (1 min 39 sec)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15192383" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/15192383">Phoenix-Fly: The Need 4 Speed</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/phoenixfly">Phoenix Fly</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
wingsuitdude is offline Find More Posts by wingsuitdude
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:04 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
wingsuitdude: I have that thing on continuous replay since a few days already rest assured my gray braincells are working full speed to duplicate their efforts. my new zephyr should be able to come close to their speed at full power. we'll see how it goes
Last edited by trappy; Oct 06, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:12 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,331 Posts
Hello Trappy, very nice wing you got there.

I was looking for a new platform for FPV, I am currently using the Skywalker, it flies well but I would like to be able to do more stunts So my first question is what are the pros and cons of using a "wing" type of plane for FPV? I see that in almost all your videos you are using wings. Is it only because they are agile and fast? but also a stable platform? What kind of flight time you are averaging with what lipos?

Thanks
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:26 AM
Australia. Just like Austria, only hotter and without all the pretty mountains. And a lot further south. And bigger. With Kangaroos...
Joined Oct 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
better spend some time to get the CG right than to fiddle with long shafts. but it's certainly possible...
Thanks!

Um -- no point in sticking motor on front with 'normal' tractor prop?

Cheers!
FliteRysk is offline Find More Posts by FliteRysk
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:34 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
well, like I said, it would definitely work ... but for FPV you're better off with a pusher and the people you fly into will appreciate a pusher much more too
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:39 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
well, like I said, it would definitely work ... but for FPV you're better off with a pusher and the people you fly into will appreciate a pusher much more too
/signed

and we also appreciate no parts of the plane in the HD Video is there any way to fix this trappy ?
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:41 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
yeah. I've got a few ideas lined up. most probably the easiest will be to put the camera right into the center and get rid of the FPV camera. for the kind of flying we do this will require a set of RF-noise tests and heavy modification to the GoPro camera. We've already started work on this, but haven't made much progress so far.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:07 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
If you do that, it would be cool to have the FPV view in the videos sometimes. I like to see the GPS ground speed and altitude/distance like in old videos
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:07 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I don't have a ground recorder anymore it has become useless. might make me a new ground-station someday though, especially now that the powerbox has been released! I'm a sucker for redundancy and low voltage buzzers, video splitters and all that jazz all in one box! ...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318707
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:36 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,331 Posts
Trappy did you miss my post or you are simply ignoring me?
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred