to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:37 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
exactly. your best bet is always to call your airline a few days prior to travel and have the assistant give you her name, write down what she says and that'll be what you need to go by. I contacted 3 different airlines, 3 different policies, 3 different fees. Same departure and destination. In case you have to check in your bag, ask if they handle fragile items (!!!). The airline I flew with didn't, but it was too late by then. So I just bought a couple of fragile stickers at the airport and hoped for the best.
When I travel to Europe, I have to have the LIPO's ON THE PLANE. The idea is that if a lipo explodes or whatever, The stewardess will take the battery and throw it in her food cart thingy since you cant extinguish a metal fire. If it was inside the cargo hold and a fire broke out...well you can't extinguish that one.. I got some funny TSA looks, but it is more the smug sarcastic "look at the nerd" type of look. Not sure I would be treated the same if I had a turban on or something, but that's another issue.
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Dec 02, 2010, 05:31 AM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
Ok, just to add a bit more to the pool of knowledge, just called Ryanair which I'll be flying with and they said the frame is fine, petrol stuff obviously is a no no. When I asked about should I check in the batteries or bring them to the cabin (because I explained different airlines have different policies) then she asked if they were wet, dry or gel. So I guessed Lipos are dry (what about the NiMH in the 9C tho?) and she said dry bateries are fine to check in and I should just put them in the box with the plane.

Just need to get a lipo safe bag and put them in the box.

any thoughts on the NiMH?
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:09 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Trappy,

Nice latest vid from the Zemph, having never been there I found it very "WOW".

Pity about the thread .

Thanks

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:33 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
oh well, things always go down that direction when certain people can't handle not being the center of attention. this thread we're posting in had to be closed and re-opened too because of the very same people
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:58 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,788 Posts
New FPV'er

Trappy and all I have just read this entire thread. What a wealth of information. I am talking with Chris now to get a zeph. I have a few questions though.

1. I already bought a 900mhz system ( I am running 2.4 radio) What is the max distance I can expect safely? I will look for an FM radio for future upgrades. but for now 900mhz fpv / 2.4 radio is what I got.

2. I love speed on my current wing (Ele Bee with 6 series eflite 400 motor turning 6x5.5) I don't mind not having as long of a flight as long as I have some speed.. What is a good motor Combo. I have read so many different setups here. ( running 3 or 4s packs ) I have a lot of 3 s laying around, but I just ordered some 4s for a new plane I bought for my son. Also I am going to retire my Ele Bee (1month old) to my son when I get my new wing built.

3. I am also curious about Expo rates. one problem I have now with my Ele bee is the lower and faster I go it gets twitchy. How do you over come this issue. I know a bee is not a Ritewing. Just curious if I should add a gyro or something to help?

4. I was also curious why so people do not fly with a straight prop? I am not worried about noise in video, Like most my videos will be to music when posted anyway.

5. Blunt zeph or no blunt? I want to make sure I order the correct wing.

Thanks in advance for all the great answers.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:40 PM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post

1. I already bought a 900mhz system ( I am running 2.4 radio) What is the max distance I can expect safely? I will look for an FM radio for future upgrades. but for now 900mhz fpv / 2.4 radio is what I got.

not far, or on a spektrum you pushing your luck if you go over 800m , it locks out ... dont ask how , and its not a once off its often
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:18 PM
Time's fun when ya havin flies
Qld, AU
Joined Sep 2007
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
New FPV'er

Trappy and all I have just read this entire thread. What a wealth of information. I am talking with Chris now to get a zeph. I have a few questions though.

2. I love speed on my current wing (Ele Bee with 6 series eflite 400 motor turning 6x5.5) I don't mind not having as long of a flight as long as I have some speed.. What is a good motor Combo. I have read so many different setups here. ( running 3 or 4s packs ) I have a lot of 3 s laying around, but I just ordered some 4s for a new plane I bought for my son. Also I am going to retire my Ele Bee (1month old) to my son when I get my new wing built.

3. I am also curious about Expo rates. one problem I have now with my Ele bee is the lower and faster I go it gets twitchy. How do you over come this issue. I know a bee is not a Ritewing. Just curious if I should add a gyro or something to help?

4. I was also curious why so people do not fly with a straight prop? I am not worried about noise in video, Like most my videos will be to music when posted anyway.

5. Blunt zeph or no blunt? I want to make sure I order the correct wing.

Thanks in advance for all the great answers.
Your 900Mhz at 500mw with Inverted V TX and patch on the RX should get you 4Km in an ideal environment. Seems a good match with FM RC that will give you about the same or a bit more with extended RC RX antenna.
4Km is no record breaking distance but it's a good place to start.
cncoz is offline Find More Posts by cncoz
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:32 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
Hey Trappy,

Your video made the front page of the Make magazine blog. That should get you a couple thousand more fans who will sign up for RCgroups just to remind you how cool you are.

http://blog.makezine.com/

Keep up the good work!

(By the way, I'm still working on my Zeph... too many other things have gotten in the way)
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:47 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
haha cool. say thanks to Gary Evans for making me submit it there

Edit: it made Gizmodo too
Last edited by trappy; Dec 03, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:02 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
ok, looks like MSNBC might run the story. anyone care to record it?
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:10 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
I'll record it!
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:21 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
i'll let you know the time they run it. hahaha ... poor Gary ... he got just what he bargained for on this one

edit: looks like it's gonna be a web feature only on todayshow.com
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:42 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
sweet!! Have to stop and check it out.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:14 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,127 Posts
trappy - where can I get some of those cool TBS stickers?
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx