Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:35 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,543 Posts
so are we to assume this one has found a new home already?
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
so are we to assume this one has found a new home already?
Yes Keith it's done, she is no longer mine. I remember having a tough time figuring her out so the assemble instructions was for the new owner. This was my last post as her owner but I am hopeful the new owner will have progress reports on her.

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
Hi Bob,

During her repaint be sure to do her bottom in green and not red.

Here is an old video with Matsonia in it.

Aboard the S.S Lurline 1959and vacation in Hawaii pt. 2 with S.S. Matsonia (9 min 2 sec)

-Rich.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:52 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,398 Posts
Matsonia

Rich
I'm not sure the stripe is not green also Hard to tell with the pictures I have seen.
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
Hi Bob,

Looking at them again closely, dark blue seems to be the answer on the stripe.

Here is a link with Elvis Presley on Matsonia.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...1&FORM=IDFRIR#

-Rich.
Last edited by RICH404; Mar 04, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
Hi Bob,

These are photos from my collection. I thought that many were already posted but apparently they weren't.

Notice that in a set there is both a static model of Matsonia as well as Lurline. These pictures should serve as a template on what you can do with model.

Also are many photos from various years as Matsonia, Lurline, Britannis and finally Belofin1.

Regards,

-Rich.
Last edited by RICH404; Mar 04, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:01 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,398 Posts
Last picture of her before she slipped under the water

Rich
Thanks for all those pictures. I have seen many of them but not all. I ran across this artical by one of the crew of the tug that was towing her to the ship breakers. At the bottom it shows what maybe the last picture of her sinking.
http://www.rhmsamerikanis.co.uk/mywe...s%20Salute.pdf
Bob
Nice write up also.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
Wow that is a great article!!

Here is a continuum of the link that I posted with Elvis.

Below is a link with him on the Matsonia and his time in Honolulu. Great details of Matsonia's aft deck in here..

http://scottymoore.net/honolulu.html

In this link shows an advertisement that says: "Coming in June 1957" Here it shows a blue stripe and a green bottom paint..The blue stripe matched the top of the funnels.

-Rich.
Last edited by RICH404; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:26 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,398 Posts
I give you My Matsonia 1956-1963 Rebuild

Well folks she is here. It arrived this morning with none of the grandeur, fanfare, or applause a ship of its history deserves. No fireboats spraying fountains of water welcoming her into the bay. No large lot of small boats scurrying about her as if in a feeding frenzy, No crowds of spectators lining the Golden Gate Bridge, no crowds lining the docks to welcome her beautiful lines back. I hope that I can bring this beauty back to the condition she deserves to be in. I give you Matsonia! (1956 -1963) I will try to cover all aspects of her rebuild here on RC Groups as I am able to complete them. I have gotten her unpacked and my mess cleaned up and will assess what it is exactly, that I have taken on here. I would like to, first of all, thank RICH404 for giving me the opportunity to purchase this magnificent ship and all of his help in assuring she got here safely.
In inspecting the hull, it looks as if I will have to completely strip the hull. All of the port holes have epoxy or plastic in them allowing for the ship to be completely lighted. I’m not sure if I am going to be able to save them or not. The hull appears to be covered with something maybe given her age, like the stuff they used to cover airplane wings with. It has a rough texture to it like cloth. The paint looks to be epoxy that has aged. I'll be doing a lead test on it to be safe. I like the lighting for the stacks, I think I’ll make that work. Looking at the decks I may completely rebuild them as the fit leaves a bit to be desired. I still think it is something that I am going to be able to do. It will take some time but I think she deserves the restoration. I think it is ironic that I first put the e-bay add on RC Groups back here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=matsonia
I really wanted her then but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money. Well anyway Here we go.
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Mar 06, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
Hi Bob,

I'm so glad that she arrived there safely. I'll be sure to tune in as the restoration begins.

I totally agree with you, definitely do a lead test on her. She has been around for a long time and that finish is likely original.

I forgot that there was a thread going on this ship when she was on e-Bay. She caused quite a stir within the community. I'm very glad that she is back in the limelight and not tucked away The Matsonia deserves to be documented and discussed in our hobby. She is a grand old lady.

WOW!!! Very nice!!! I never seen those lights on!!! I can't wait to see the deck and bridge lit up!!

-Rich.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:10 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH404 View Post
Hi Bob,

These are photos from my collection. I thought that many were already posted but apparently they weren't.

Notice that in a set there is both a static model of Matsonia as well as Lurline. These pictures should serve as a template on what you can do with model.

Also are many photos from various years as Matsonia, Lurline, Britannis and finally Belofin1.

Regards,

-Rich.
outstanding collection of photos! Much appreciated!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:54 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
Quote:
It arrived this morning with none of the grander, fanfare, or applause a ship of its history deserves. No fireboats spraying fountains of water welcoming her into the bay.
You could have had one of the neighborhood kids spray you with the garden hose...

Looking forward to the continued restoration.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:42 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,398 Posts
Maybe Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
You could have had one of the neighborhood kids spray you with the garden hose...

Looking forward to the continued restoration.

Little chilly this morning
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined May 2007
1,537 Posts
I love the last picture of her lit up! This is a great glimpse of what is to come!!

Congrats Bob!! You've awakened a sleeping giant!!

-Rich.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:35 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
3,948 Posts
She looks great with the lights!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris