HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
Wow, but that's for a minty mint ones right?

No, mint motors that are unused would typically go for well over $300 now. Used motors in good shape are $200 up.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:21 AM
SKPERFRANK
mmoraine Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH404 View Post
Hi Woody Bob,

Yeah, I agree the damage was very minimal considering she went from South Florida to NY State via Fed Ex Ground. The huge box was completely full of packing peanuts. The hull and even the cabins were completely full of packing peanuts too. It took over 2 hours to get them all out and get the ship unpacked. The cabins, radio and ship was wrapped in bubble wrap as well.

Thanks for the info on the Krokerís! These motors now seem so mystical.. Very cool!

Hmm, should I sail them or just put them on velvet Rolex pillows and display them in a glass case with lights?
Hi Olmod,

The transmission is a type of belt called Twin Core Posi Belt. It is a synthetic type material with a strong metal rope type lining inside it. The cross bars on the belt currently in the ship has no metal in the cross bars whereas the replacement belt that I ordered comes with the metal lined bars for added strength.

I want to see how the ship ran originally so I ordered a pair. Who knows, they might be reliable. If I donít like them, I will look to replace the drive by taking up one of the suggestions mentioned by our fellow modelers.

-Rich.
Rich404
very nice looking model she is very clean looking, I have one also I am building her sister ship LURILINE 10ft. I been working on her for almost a year now this is the first time I been back here on this forum. dont have time to check out the internet, Been to busy working on this. Yours is modernized after the war. The LURILINE I am modeling is 1932 after her launch .My camera broke I be getting another I will post some pictures of her You have a one of a kind a show stopper.
skipperfrank is offline Find More Posts by skipperfrank
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:21 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,542 Posts
Hi Captains,

Thank you all for the info on the Kroker's!!

Hi SkipperFrank,

As you progress on Lurline, post info on your build! It is great to see someone else working on a "White Ship". 10' is huge! This one is big at 6 1/2'. It is going to take lots of ballast to weigh her down. I look forward to your progress!

Speaking of the Kroker motors, the other day I received the new posi belts for the drive in the mail. I removed the prop shafts to replace the old belts, but decided it was a good time to re grease the shafts. Then, I put the belts in & found that the length was a little shorter than the ones originally on the ship. So, rather than lose a few days in returning them, I removed the Kroker's and reworked the motor mounts.

After the motor mounts were installed, I spent some time and thoroughly cleaned the Kroker's. This included the commutaters and now they are as clean as can be.

I went to install the motors and found that there was a bit of slack in the belt so I used some thick felt to go between the the mount and the Kroker. It worked perfectly!

After I assembled everything, I turned on the TX and made fine adjustments. Then, I moved the two sticks on the TX forward and the Krokers ran beautifully!! With the new Posi belts and the Krokers, this ship purred like a kitten at full thottle and was smoother than a swiss watch!! I'm really happy at the way she runs.

This ship is huge and I cannot just float her in my tub so I made up a float tank for her in my yard using cinder blocks, wood and a tarp.

Her hull floats high on the water even though she is heavy so I will have to make up the ballast for the ship. I could not put her tops on because she would list too hard on starboard and she would roll over if I were to let her go. So, I have pics of her hull floating.

While she was in the water, I checked for leaks. I discovered 3 ver slow leaks in her hull. Each part of her hull is sectioned off by bulkheads and the keel so it is simple to find out where the water is coming from and contain it. When she is sanded down, those areas will be resined and fixed before painting.

Here are those pictures!
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Last edited by RICH404; Jul 29, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,253 Posts
Rich. your motors look clean as a whistle!

Be sure to install new water cooling lines to those Krokers.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,292 Posts
Cool...
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:13 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,570 Posts
Very nice.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:08 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Man, that's a large boat ...ship!
Difficult to move around/lift?
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined May 2007
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Rich. your motors look clean as a whistle!

Be sure to install new water cooling lines to those Krokers.
Hi Tom,

Thanks!! I agree, new water lines are going to be installed in the ship. Oddly enough, even though these motors are set up for motor cooling, the ship does not have any pick up or outlet tubes installed for water cooling. It is easy enough to do so I plan on doing it around the time the ship is prepped for paint.

-Rich.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:10 PM
Joined May 2007
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
Man, that's a large boat ...ship!
Difficult to move around/lift?
Hi Russell,

The ship is heavy. Without any ballasting, she comes in at 29 LBS. When she is ballasted she will be 50+ LBS on the water. At this point, it takes me and my wife to move it from one room to another because she is so long.

I am going to make up a large rectangle case for her that opens up. It will resemble a semi trailer with hinged sides that fold down for easy access. It will have wheels in the back and I can pull it sort of like a long suitcase. It is going to be padded on the inside and will enable me to load it from its display area and transport it to my car and the lake without getting damaged.

The case will be strong enough to ride on the roof racks of my car.

I will post the case when I start that build. It will also show that you don't need a big car to have a big model...Just the right transport case..

-Rich.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Man what a cool project/boat. You certainly got alot for the money, bought the motors, the well built model boat came with them free. Out of the hundreds of crappy, slapped together project boats you see online, there are a precious few of these golden nuggets. Seems like she's in good hands. Im having alot of fun living vicariously(sp) thru you!!
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:22 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,078 Posts
Awesome!
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 03, 2010, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2007
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
Man what a cool project/boat. You certainly got alot for the money, bought the motors, the well built model boat came with them free. Out of the hundreds of crappy, slapped together project boats you see online, there are a precious few of these golden nuggets. Seems like she's in good hands. Im having alot of fun living vicariously(sp) thru you!!
Thanks Predreadnut,

I agree, this is one of those rare gems!! It's going to be a pleasure to bring this grand old lady back to her former glory.

-Rich.
Last edited by RICH404; Aug 03, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,871 Posts
This thread makes me very very VERY sad...

Sad...

Sad....

Why can't I be around when something like this is for sale?!

(you guys are laughing at me right now)

Seriously, congrats on the purchase. FINALLY a liner not named Titanic. I am gonna enjoy this, my new favorite thread on RCGroups!
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:16 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Any progress pic's of Her Rich??

Cheers N Happy New Year

Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined May 2007
1,542 Posts
Matsonia update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
Any progress pic's of Her Rich??

Cheers N Happy New Year

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Happy new year!

She is relaxing right now while I focus my attention on finishing up Dauntless. Once Dauntless is complete i'm going to then give Matsonia all the attention she needs to be complete. I work on one project at a time due limited time I have each week to work on boats..

When I begin work on Matsonia I will document everything on this thread. I'm working on Dauntless on another scale boat site so there isn't too much about her posted on RCGroups.

Matsonia will have her day & she will have all the bells & whistles when she is done..

-Rich.