HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Very nice indeed!!!!
This where i got so far!!
I am on about to put the rib tapes and i had a strong argument with a friend about the fuselage rib tapes!!! We where just wondering how the tissue stays put without stitching....???????
pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
Aha! Is that the Flair kit? I can't remember what it looks like uncovered exactly now!!

All the technical manuals are with the aeroplane about 30 miles away but there is no procedure given for recovering anyway (that I can remember).

I think the secret is the longeron that runs along the centre of the fuselage sides, there is also one underneath. The side longerons are not structural, just thin strips of wood, the one underneath is a round section steel tube. The fabric is not attached to these longerons but doped to the top and bottom steel longerons, when it is shrunk, either by doping for linen or heat for a modern equivalent it slides over the strips and stays nice and tight.

The Piper PA-25 Pawnee is almost the same, I was involved in rebuilding one after an accident.

There are no lifting forces (suction) on the fuselage fabric, but there are on the wings and tail, it's just there to keep the wind out!!

Shout if you need any detail photos, I've got quite a few and can take more.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Hey you are almost right!!!hehehehehehehe
This is a Toni Clark kit 1:3.3.

Your description and explanations are very valuable to me.
Thanks very much!!!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
here are some more......
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
Ah, not heard of that one. 1/3 scale, great. Rib tapes look very good.

Is the rigging functional or just for display? The Flair Tiger uses silver soldered flat steel strip with clevises and it is functional, always worried about it when I pulled a loop!

I can post a lot more photos of the big one in here if you like (up to 150 with 'advanced upload', there's a challenge!).

GB
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:44 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Rigging is fully functional.
You are absolutely right about the wires but the problem is that when you have to transport the plane you have to undo somehow the wings and wires.
To use those flat wires then would be an additional problem to the transportation. There is a Guy in Switzerland that manufactures fantastic scale flat wires that are 100% identical to the Tiggy's with clevises at the end exactly like the real ones but price is like 280-300 euros for a 1/3 complete set (if not more). Besides as a very good friend of mine Heiko Preisler (http://www.heikoshomepage.mynetcologne.de/ ) said once...it is not easy when you have to be depended from something like the special made clevises or rigging wires and every time there is one gone bad to pay another 2-3 euros for a clevis or 28-35euros for a single flat wire!!
On the other hand steel wire 60lb strength is very easy to handle...costs pennies and do the job very very well!!!
And the most important...you can curve it in order to transport!!!

On the attached photo you can see how the plane can be transported with the interplane struts and rigging wires attached!!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:10 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
I transport my wings in rigged pairs with a wooden strut at the inboard end, takes some room up in the car but it's the only practical way.

I was just a bit worried when I saw the crimped end fitting, there is a big load on the flying wires and it might pull through. If you're happy with it though that's ok!!

Cheers

Gary
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Just another question before i start painting .....just to be sure....
Do you know if in the past (concerning the tiger moth of course!!) did they used to stitch the material on the fuselage or it was applied on, with dope since.....ever? You most probably have seen the overhaul TO and know the techniques applied!!!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:15 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, been away for a day.

I'm pretty sure that there was no fuselage stitching originally, the man to ask would be Mark Miller at de Havilland Support.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:58 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Thank you very much!!
I already send them my question!! I hope they will answer me soon!!!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:47 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Thanos

Responding to modeller is not our core business, but in simple terms there was no stitching on the fuselage, only on the fin. Dope was used not glue.

Regards

Bill Taylor
Chief Executive
de Havilland Support Ltd

Very Fast responce!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:55 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
A slightly cold response from Bill there but I'm sure he is right.

Will be working on the Tiger again today and will take some more photos, if I remember to take the camera!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
Getting there!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:04 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Amazing paint job!! We can se the checkers reflection of the fin on the elevator!!!
On my moth i prefered the silver mat paint since i wanted it to be as close to the reality as possible!!!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,801 Posts
Yes, the tail is much shinier than the rest of the aeroplane now!! The silver dulls down with the effect of ultra violet light, in a year or two it will match the wings!

Model is looking good Pappy.