SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Discussion
A Tiger's tail

Our 1:1 scale Tiger Moth is in for a three year birthday (Star Annual maintenance and Certificate of Airworthiness renewal).

Part of this process, the 'check flight' is done and passed. That involved a full power timed climb for five minutes (to check the engine is giving the right power), stalling, spinning (two turns, both left and right) and the best bit, a run to VNE (Velocity Never Exceed), makes your eyes water!!

It was recommended last year that we got the tail surfaces recovered in the winter, that slipped somewhat (oops!) and so I am doing it now.

The covering is still good but the problem with modern synthetic material is that it lasts so long that the internal wooden structure does not get inspected enough (they reckoned on seven years average for linen covering where the tail covering on the Tiger has been (cough!) on quite a while!!

Will post some photos, if anyone needs any more photos for detailing a model of a Tiger then just shout (I have lots!!).

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:36 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Wow looks like a lot of fun! I want to be an A&P after I finish school, it just seems like a lot of new interesting stuff to do. It was funny, I was talking to one of the local A&P's up at our airport and he said he loved his job except for last summer when he had to do all the rib stitching on a Grumman Duck! Talk about hours of mindless work. I agree, that Chippie looks really nice

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:06 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,463 Posts
The big rip is the easy fun bit......
Got a set of needles here if you want a hand on the rib-stitching?

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:14 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Go for it Hawker T, it's a good profession.

Reminds me of stripping wallpaper Gee! Have got a nice lady to do the sewing bit!!

Gary
Old Aug 05, 2010, 01:36 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Tail bits stripped

All the fabric has been removed from the tail surfaces now.

I spent today removing all the metal fittings, had to be careful removing tight bolts as the parts are quite fragile (just a small hammer then!!)

On first inspection there is some loose woodwork in the tailplane, a couple of broken ribs and the trailing edge of the rudder wasn't quite as the designer intended!

After a thorough inspection any repairs will be carried out, at the same time all the metal parts will get cleaned, checked, and painted.

Although I have the manuals the photos will help if there is any confusion on putting it all back together.

Cheers

Gary
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:50 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Looking good! My dad just got our blasting cabinet up and running again because I had some T-6 Texan parts to media blast (using glass powder), it is amazing how nice those metal parts will look after a little work. I love using the blasting cabinet, it is SO much better than chemical paint stripper.

Why is the wood all red and yellowish-green? Is it the sealer? How did you get the fabric off in one piece? Also, what do you have to do to the wood before you recover? Sorry, most of my VERY basic airplane mechanics work so far has been with aluminum.

HT
Old Aug 05, 2010, 03:19 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Yep, bead blasters are great things (until the window gets so bad that you can't see what you are doing!).

The different colours are just paint although the red on the rudder frame looks like 'Aerodux' glue to me, I have no idea how many times these have been re-covered.

There's no treatment in particular for the wood as it is already doped or painted, the metal fitting points are wrapped with thin tape (Egyptian mummy style) to reinforce them but that's about it.

To get the fabric off in one piece you just pull slowly and steadily!! Easier than trying to do the same with model covering film!

Cheers

Gary
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts
rc glider kema-s

gary binnie
have you built the kema.s glider( by keith humber)
if yes 1. eazy to build or hard
2. how does it fly
i got the plans. and would like to build it. so enaey tips would help me
thanks dave d
glider5 is offline Find More Posts by glider5
Old Oct 08, 2010, 04:21 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Hi Dave and welcome to RC Groups.

The Kema S (RM 249?) is not one that I've built. I've not built any of the Kema range and don't know a lot about them.

An old plans handbook I have gives the plan a 'two star' difficulty rating for 'someone with a little experience or the willingness to read up construction techniques'.

I can help if you'd like to start a build thread.

Attached a photo of a Kema taken recently, I was told that it was an 'S' but I think that design has a low wing?

Cheers

Gary
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:28 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Getting there

Been a while since I posted anything. The tailplane is finished, fin and rudder are not far behind.

Some piccies:

GB
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:25 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
That fuel tank is looking SWEET!

Masking off the checks for the tail looks like quite a bit of work though.

HT
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Even harder on a model!! A nice lady is doing the masking.

Most of the paintwork was needed after corrosion treatment, the Tiger 'sweats' a bit in winter at its home hangar, this one is heated so no winter corrosion problems.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:11 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Hi there!!
Wow!!! those photos are a treasure.
I don't think that there are no where else in the world pictures from \Tiger Moth been overhauled!!!
I am in the process o building a Tiger Moth as well and i would like to ask you a question since you have a personal experience with the plane and you are the only person who can answer to me.
I am imitating the stitches all around the surfaces and then cover them with rib tape. My question is this:
Are there any stitches on the fuselage holding the material in place or the rib tape that we can see running all across the sides in the photo is just as a double protection of the material to reinforce it as there is a spar under there? And generaly are there any stitches or just glue? if there are stitches are they similar to the stitches applied on the wings and tail?

I would appreciate a lot your answer as i couldn't find any photo from that close !!!

Once again congratulations for this wonderful thread!!

Pappy
pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,868 Posts
Hi Pappy,

I'm glad you are enjoying the posts, I thought the detail photos would help modellers.

There is no stitching at all on the fuselage, there is wide rib tape for reinforcement over the joining seams and at the lower longerons, you can just see it in the photo below. The edges of the rib tape are 'pinked', cut with special scissors in a diagonal 'saw tooth' pattern to prevent fraying.

I built a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth about 14 years ago, still have it and it might fly again this year. I replicated the rib stitching with small chordwise strips of masking tape with ripped Solartex ironed over them for rib tapes.

Cheers

Gary