HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:54 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,995 Posts
Ken:
I for one would love a thread started by Steve Neu telling us the best motor for the Dynamax on 10S, 12S, 14S and 16S.

Yeah Steve......I use your motors....love them but you need to post the info up here for us to read. On the other hand if Jim is burning up certain motors I would like for Jim to list the info on these motors as I will use the new XPS packs......as with Steve's motors I really like the XPS lipos.

Throwing out quotes does nothing for us peons........how about you vendors listing the info..........save us problems and money. I must say Jim is doing the best which I can see on these threads. I have no dog in this hunt....just want good products.
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 09:20 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Really! I love it, in a vendor thread you have to throw in your pot shot, just an FYI for all of you, I attended the AMA expo last year and neumotors was the only booth that treated people like crap, blew up a motor and just plain sucked. XPS is doing their homework they had a supplier drop the ball and they are doing their due diligence. Go away!
Really!
FYI--One of guys at Castle made a error and hooked up the battery wrong and cooked the connectors on the battery--the controller/motor were not involved.

Not sure what you mean by "treating people like crap" we were busy answering questions and trying to get people what the wanted.

I would be happy to "go away" from this thread and not comment if Mr. Drew would be so kind to leave my name out of his comments given the fact that we have not worked with XPS in the past or present to supply motors their version of the fan in question.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:06 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,496 Posts
Guys you are going to be shocked at what I'm about to say here but here it goes

Steve gives specs for his motors more complete than any other manufacturer I know. Its not his responsibility to test every prop and every gearbox and every fan to spoon feed us spec info. If he was selling ready to run fan systems, then yes. But he is only the motor maker. Its up to us to pick from his wide variety of motor options within a certain motor category or family to get the right motor for our application. Sorry guys its just not up to Steve to get us the info.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:40 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,250 Posts
Sorry Bob but I have to disagree! If a motor company wants to sell motors they should step up to the plate and test! If there are some common popular fans on the market it would be wise for them to do a little R and R and pass on the data! It is a big difference maker for a consumer hunting for a motor! This is just good buisness 101, identify a trend and position your product to sell in that market. Jim is just making the point that he has tested other motors, I wouldnt doubt that he was testing these to see if there was a good option for him use with the fan system and the new battery tech if he finds a good match he contacts that company and then identifies if its a good fit business wise.
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Last edited by bri6672; May 23, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2005
77 Posts
I take Jim's comments as a caution about the new packs, not a comment on anyone's motor.
lt40 Flier is offline Find More Posts by lt40 Flier
Old Oct 03, 2010, 09:35 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,496 Posts
That's correct. Jim is trying to tell us that last years great set ups are vulnerable now

Bri,
As for testing, its a little hard to do when Jim is the only one with these packs. Point is things change so rapidly that by the time an independant manufacturer does testing complete enough to post, they are already obsolete! At the time were testing our set up it was the only one capable of safely running 10kw on those packs. Now with newer packs it will be common place and that is what Jim is warning about. Smaller motors that were 5kw before will now be 7kw and can't handle it.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 06:01 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,211 Posts
Steve Neu has two options, test his motors himself and publish the data, or sit back and let others do it.

If he picks the second option then he shouldn't whine and complain about someone else testing his motors.

The only thing Jim said was that smaller motors of all types would have issues with the higher voltage and power.

Bob, anyone can test these motors without the actuall 65C packs in hand, its called a DC power supply. I would think that a motor company would have a decent DC power supply around to test things. Just turn the dial to 11

I find it interesting that Steve reads these threads and has the time to bicker with Jim and others but does not appear to have time to post valuable information.
I haved read many posts where people have asked Steve for info, and those posts just get ignored.
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:43 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,995 Posts
Ken:
The only thing Jim said was that smaller motors of all types would have issues with the higher voltage and power.

I for one am glad Jim gave us a heads up on the problems he had on some motors using the new XPS packs. I think as things change in the E-power field the vendors should guide us in the use of their products. Now if I could only aquire some of the new packs I could get back to flying my EDF.
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Oct 04, 2010, 09:35 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe View Post
Not if you use a motor with the right Kv to keep the current within safe limits.

As I said before--I don't have any wish to be involved in discussions in Jim's fan thread as long as my motors are not the topic of discussion.

So have fun guys!

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Oct 04, 2010, 09:46 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,250 Posts
Please delete
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Last edited by bri6672; May 23, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 10:22 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe View Post
Steve Neu has two options, test his motors himself and publish the data, or sit back and let others do it.

If he picks the second option then he shouldn't whine and complain about someone else testing his motors.

Bob, anyone can test these motors without the actuall 65C packs in hand, its called a DC power supply. I would think that a motor company would have a decent DC power supply around to test things. Just turn the dial to 11

I find it interesting that Steve reads these threads and has the time to bicker with Jim and others but does not appear to have time to post valuable information.
I haved read many posts where people have asked Steve for info, and those posts just get ignored.

Hi Ken,
Do you have a DC power supply that can do 50v's and 150 amps? You have any idea what one of those costs?
Old Oct 04, 2010, 10:37 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Quote:
As I said before--I don't have any wish to be involved in discussions in Jim's fan thread as long as my motors are not the topic of discussion.
Your motors was not THE topic of discussion until YOU made it so. Jim just mentioned a few names that he already tested in quest for the right motor for the fan for a required performance. Do you expect him to lie and only mention others that did not work? Nothing is perfect and never will be, we all know that, but people can work together to improve what we have.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:52 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
Your problem is that you have not done the homework to select the right motors. Please just leave us out of your discussion please.

Steve Neu
Steve, you did not read what I wrote... to simplify this let me just say that what use to work on 45C batteries now burns up on 65C batteries. It's not a dig at any motor company - we have burned up a lot from various manufacturers that have no problems with the lower C rated cells.

The reality is that these cells are coming from all manufacturers. We just so happen to be the first kid on the block with them. People won't go out of their way to change their motor setups, but they can reduce the cell count easy enough. I guess I could have mentioned every motor company except yours and let people burn up your motors and you deal with the technical support. Some thanks we get for the heads up, eh?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Oct 04, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:37 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,324 Posts
The mixture of kv, voltage and load determines the current. Too high current burns up a motor. If you change one of the three, you may have to adjust at least one of the others to save a motor.
If one follows the max current rating for any given motor, it will not burn.

I thought these fans were built around a specific motor? Why would a motor manufacturer pull one apart to test it with their motors?
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:49 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,496 Posts
Jim you did exactly right! Warning us all of what WILL happen if we just change packs and fly could be extremely costly!! Most of us would not think to recheck with a watt meter or better a clamp on to see the difference with new packs.