HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,552 Posts
If I wanted to put that much into it I might as well just get a turbine. I was thinking around 1k for fan, esc +/- change. Even the BVM 12S is $1500.
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,216 Posts
not needed for about 99.5 percent of the modelers out there.

Id be the 0.5% if I can ever run it and find out what it will do. The closer to the 20kW advertised the happier ill be.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
I think I was wrong about them actually being in stock. Wasn't apparent from the site but someone posted they weren't in stock. Tried adding to cart and sure enough it said no inventory.

Soo......

JD any timetable?
Huh? We have them in stock... I will have to check the shopping cart system!

Sure enough... the inventory was a ZERO!.. Ugh... hard to sell things when they can't be purchased... thanks for pointing this out!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,552 Posts
Glad to hear it!
I think then:
Dynamax Fan + Jeti 200 ought to get me too 12S or 14S.

Like I could fly it on 12S and as I get comfortable with it add another 2S if I desire.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:21 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
I am planning on using a 12,000 mAh battery, 50,000 would be a bit heavy. Is that how it was run at 20kW? Your spec list shows 16 cells @ 205 amps and then the jump to 18 cells is 300.

Picking up the controller after work today and almost finished with the test stand. (Update) (They sent the wrong controllers)

Thanks

Rick
We never ran our system at 20Kw. The factory tested our motors to 23Kw (without any cooling), so we know that the motor with 280+MPH air blowing through will handle 20Kw.

The most I have personally seen is a bit over 16Kw for a few seconds (before battery sag). It is frightening. When I did the 223.9MPH pass at the jolt I was using a setup with ~9Kw, and the batteries were just about dead! I have the 15Kw system in another Starfire that I will use to set the Guinness record later this year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear it!
I think then:
Dynamax Fan + Jeti 200 ought to get me too 12S or 14S.

Like I could fly it on 12S and as I get comfortable with it add another 2S if I desire.
I ran the JETI SPIN 200 on 15S in my Starfires (both of them). My new Starfire uses a custom made controller that handles 24S.

12S is the most common setup for this fan system. I know of only a few people that have run it on more than 12S, and only one that ran it on 15S besides us (Kenny's 195MPH - flat and level - 1.5M Skymaster Viperjet).
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I ran the JETI SPIN 200 on 15S in my Starfires (both of them). My new Starfire uses a custom made controller that handles 24S.
I thought spin 200 says 14S max on the specs. Are you just pushing the spec a bit or did I read somewhere wrong? Either way I've heard good things about it (Paul recommended to me).

So how do I get the $549 price on here:
http://xtremepowersystems.net/dynamax.php
instead of the $569 price you get when you add to cart?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,216 Posts
My new Starfire uses a custom made controller that handles 24S

Ok Jim

So we need a custom made speed controller to run this. You were having them made and available for us what happened?

Can you give some details on the setup?

Also looking for controller settings

I am wondering about the PWM (8 / 16 / 32) - and Motor Timing.

I took the Controller information as what would run the fan to the listed specification (20kW) - thinking that the 24 cell 250 amp would be the one.

14S / 175A - $199
18S / 200A - $249
24S / 250A - $299

Perhaps you should remove the 20 KW notation from the website.

I should have an 18 cell setup that will handle 300 amps so I should be close.
Last edited by Air Head; Sep 28, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
Quote:
I thought spin 200 says 14S max on the specs. Are you just pushing the spec a bit or did I read somewhere wrong? Either way I've heard good things about it (Paul recommended to me).

With the SPINBox you get to select 15S when setting up the controller. It's as easy as that. At least it was on mine which is an older unit (2009)
Arngeir Blakseth is online now Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:13 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Quote:

That was a mistake on the page, and has been fixed. The price is $569. Our motor cost went up by $30, so we passed on part of that to the new price.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,552 Posts
I thought for sure you'd give me a bonus for helping you find all those mistakes and fix them
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:27 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
Ok Jim

So we need a custom made speed controller to run this. You were having them made and available for us what happened?

Can you give some details on the setup?

Also looking for controller settings

I am wondering about the PWM (8 / 16 / 32) - and Motor Timing.

I took the Controller information as what would run the fan to the listed specification (20kW) - thinking that the 24 cell 250 amp would be the one.

14S / 175A - $199
18S / 200A - $249
24S / 250A - $299

Perhaps you should remove the 20 KW notation from the website.

I should have an 18 cell setup that will handle 300 amps so I should be close.
20Kw and 18S is the correct specification. If you have a low voltage sag, by using a constant power source (car batteries is a common test fixture) then it is possible to reach the 20Kw figure on just 18S. In order to use a higher voltage, the winding would have to be changed and this is not an option that we offer currently.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,216 Posts
I never would have planned to use car batteries

to power the fan.

It would seem that the weight of them would be a bit of an issue. I am using lithium batteries that are commonly used in our toy airplanes.

What benefit in real world use is rating the setup with an unusable battery?

I almost have my test stend together and have a controller that will handle up to 300 amps so i should be able to give it a spin but I am not sure what to expect from this.

I seem to be getting farther from the target the longer this goes on. I dont want to load my batteries as they are new so ill be doing some lower voltage runs to break in the batteries before I plug in the 18 cells.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:59 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
You can see a low voltage sag using 20000mAh Lipos as well. Car batteries was just an example.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,216 Posts
Motor Timing

Hi Jim

I know you said to set the controller ssettings to defalt and have a question on the motor timing.

I see its 30 degrees and want to verify this is correct. Would you also mind explaining what the difference is with this setting?

I may finally run it up today.

Thanks

Rick