SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
Average Joe 2 Semi-Pro n Back!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrew View Post
we are getting the parts from a variety of companies.
FL62 is online now Find More Posts by FL62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:52 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
will we be able to get parts to convert our Extreme Screamers to this hub and motor?...i like the 1 pound 3 oz. weight savings.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
It's actually closer to 16 pounds of thrust with the original motor as well as this motor.
OHHHH BOY! With the weight savings and that power a 1:1 ratio or better is looking really feasible for my Yellow F-18
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:21 PM
Living the dream
United States, LA, DeRidder
Joined May 2006
194 Posts
Motor/Fan Unit

Just bought a Byron F16. How would this unit work for it I wonder. I would be willing to buy one if it preforms well. Just waiting for more product info. Thanks. Mike
flyarmy58 is offline Find More Posts by flyarmy58
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
We will not be offering any type of conversion kits, only fully assembled and tested units.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:21 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
The performance will be nearly identical to the existing Dynamax Xtreme we have been selling. The biggest difference is that you are limited to 12 cells with this setup, and 18 cells with the bigger setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
988 Posts
Sweet! I'm eagerly watching Jim, as I have a few projects that could benefit from one (or two) of these.

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:52 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,271 Posts
Jim nice job on the lighter weight, looks like a nice setup

The Dyn-E-Max scorpion has it beat by a few oz... but doesn't have all those support bearings. If this motor holds up well it's worth it for the bearing support.. a couple oz is nothing

The power is pretty much the same also.. great price two
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:32 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Thanks Ron! We expect the production units to weigh 2-3oz less. The weight currently stated is with the stock Dynamax rotor (made of steel and aluminum) and our custom prop style collet. The new rotor that I designed is two pieces with the nose part being made of 7075 annodized aluminum and the back part out of 6061 aluminum. If you don't hold the front of the blades with something extremely strong, they will come apart at high RPMs! This is why Tom Cook uses a steel faceplate underneath the plastic cap. 6061 holding the leading edge of the blades is not enough. We don't have a prop style collet wth new design, instead, I use four 6-32 set screws with 4 notches in the motor shaft to prevent the possibility of the rotor coming off. This reduces our weight even more and should also help control run out.

We are not concerned about the motor holding up. The core is made by Hacker, and has a proven history in helicopter applications where there is no real cooling. We will offer a limited lifetime warranty on these setups, just like we do with our other products. As long as you are not physically abusing it (stuffing it into the ground), we will cover any defects in parts and workmanship. If you FOD the fan, we can repair it, but that would not be covered under warranty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:08 AM
Joined Mar 2007
211 Posts
Is it possible to exchange the big fan with this one ?, I only ran the fan to check rotor rotation, no flight yet ?
As I'm planning 12S, I could benefit the weight reduction.
baykah is offline Find More Posts by baykah
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:24 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
4,150 Posts
Jim.....Good move on your Hacker core...........I been flying hackers in EDF( Hacker Turbo in my F-86) and prop planes for a long time now and really like them.....plus you can get parts.
Jim.........I now know what my power system will be for my F-8 Crusader which is back on my build table.
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:42 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
baykah, we have a list of over 150 people who want that fan! They are worth top dollar right now if you were to advertise it! We can't swap for any of the new fans though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,657 Posts
Nothing wrong with the old ones You just can't get them is all! Sorry guys, I really wish I had more control in that matter, but I did my part and I still think it WAS the best option out there even though it was a bit heavy. The old factory and its reps were just a nightmare to work with, so a change was needed.

The new set up looks good Jim
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
So did I read this correctly... This fan has blades that can be replaced when they become damaged? Otherwise wouldn't it have been better to machine the entire fan out of a billet of 7075?
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:05 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
The rotor has replaceable blades. Damage one blade just replace it instead of the entire rotor.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff