HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:27 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
Discussion
Type II U-Boat build photos

I will start by saying this is the type II that some of you may have seen/heard me talk about on the dock talk colorado crew regatta thread.

I have been working on this hull for a little over 4 years. the first photo is date february of 2006. I bought the molds from a gentleman named Lyle Jansma in Washington state. The molds were originally made by a gentleman named Dave Manley.

Dave Manley used to operate a company named "Small World Models", which may still exist, but he has taken a sabatical of sorts to spend more time with his family, and Lyle Jansma ran "Atomic Subs", which no longer appears to exist.

I also own a Blueback made by "Small World Models".

back to the Type II.

It is 1:32nd scale, it is 53" long, and uses a total of 6 seperate channels for the control:

2 for ESCs
1 for rear diving planes
1 for front diving planes
1 for rudder
1 for ballast tank.

It uses two eflite 400 740kvm brushless outrunners, two castle creations mamba ESCs, an Engel ballast tank (500ml) and ballast tank controller,
3 standard size futaba s3003 servos, and a Mike's Subworks UPC-1. All of this is powered by 2 2000 mah 2 cell lipos, and one 1300 mah 2 cell lipo.

Electronics are contained inside a home-made WTC, 4" diameter by 18" long, made of polycarbonate tubing, with home-made cast resin alumalite end caps.

the motors are direct drive through Mike's Subworks shaft seals, a total of 5 seals are used (2 for motor, 1 for rudder 1 for each diving plane servo).

on with the photos:
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 PM
singapore
Joined Jan 2005
199 Posts
Neat, these are nice boats, watching
Albion is offline Find More Posts by Albion
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:39 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
Here are some more photos of early construction, including the final revision on the laser cut deck. I purchased a set of plans for the type II from loyalhanna / taubman plans, blew them up to 1:32nd scale, scanned the deck into the computer, then used adobe illustrator to convert those scans to vector drawings that could be sent to Plasticare Inc. they did the deck in two parts, which join at the middle of the conning tower. the deck is made of 1:16 cast acrylic. also note that all the flood holes have been drilled and filed to shape, as well as the wintergarden and conning tower details have been started, and finally, the cast alumilite diving planes have been added.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:42 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
thanks albion, this was my first attempt at pulling a hull from a fiberglass mold. It wasn't perfect by any stretch, but after several months of filler and sanding, it was good enough. I hope not too many people are cringing at these early photos.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:16 AM
just a modeler
LA
Joined May 2008
368 Posts
You are doing such a nice job! I've seen Steve Vick's copy from the same molds. This is a real nice model. You are doing it such justice!

Steve
BK 1125 is offline Find More Posts by BK 1125
Last edited by BK 1125; Jul 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:15 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
actually steve, this is not the justice it deserves...

I am extremely happy that special navy made the 1:72 model, and AMP has made a nice PE set for it. the combination of those two recent additions will allow me to make a much better model than i would have been able to just a couple years ago. The motivation now is to take a new set of parts from the mold, hyper detail them to match the level i can based on the new info, and make a set of new molds from that hyper detailed master.

and yes, it appears these molds have been around... I simply call myself their current caretaker.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
just a modeler
LA
Joined May 2008
368 Posts
Well...your doing great and I'm glad to hear all this.

Steve
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
I had the molds for several years and decided to sell them to Lyle Jansma since Jeff LaRue and I have been working on a new Type IIC together....

Nice work! Keep it up....

Matt
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:06 PM
just a modeler
LA
Joined May 2008
368 Posts
Matt stop I'm trying to avoid thinking about owning this boat. The VIIC you gave me should be enough...but.....

Steve
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:20 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
some more photos.

these include the second hull pulled from the molds, with the acrylic deck actually molded in to the fiberglass upper hull during layup.

second set of photos is the first time the sub got wet at a friends testing facility.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
now for the real meat of the build thread. a few internal shots of the hull as it sits today, one closeup of the rear diving planes, propellor, and rudder.

diving planes are cast alumilite, rudder is alumilite, propellors are 40mm engel brass props. and the rest of the rear parts are soldered brass. note that the shafts for the diving planes are square brass tubing. two different sizes. larger is molded into diving plane, smaller is passed through hull and is a tight friction fit to the piece in the diving plane. the brass "steering arm" for the diving plane also has a 1/4" section of the larger square brass tubing soldered to it, so there is zero slop on the movement of the diving planes.

rudder steering arm is a 1/8" brass collar soldered to a brass arm. the 1/8 round brass rod is molded into the rudder. the brass rod is bent at a 90 degree angle inside the rudder so it won't come loose from the casting.

more notes on WTC in next post
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
the next batch of photos.

these are of the WTC proper.

it is basically 3 parts front endcap and rack, rear endcap and rack, and ballast tank.

the ballast tank is a 500ml engel piston tank positioned between the two endcaps. the rear endcap rack is layed out so that the rod from the piston tank moves between the servos and motors as it extends out the rear of the cylinder. the drain/fill tube is extended a few inches to an identical brass tube exiting out the bottom of the front endcap. on the front rack, on top are the forward diving plane servo, the receiver, and a UPC from mike's subworks. on the bottom of the front rack are the controller for the ballast tank and the 1300 mah lipo battery which powers the ballast tank and controller.

the rear rack has positions for 2 servos for the rear diving planes and the rudder. attached to the sides of the servos are the two brushless ESCs. mounted below the rack, directly to the endcap are the two brushless motors. mounted below the servos are the two lipo batteries for the motors. see photos. any questions, please ask.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:00 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
final batch of photos.

these are photos taken at the latest regatta, June 19 & 20
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:12 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
your type 2 looks great.....i thought bout doing a plug/mold for a type 7 in 1/48th....joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:37 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
There is a modeler working on release of a new 1/48th Type VII right now. Should be out late next year.
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign