HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2010
42 Posts
Discussion
New Blade SR Pilot Need help with Pitch

Hi new to single rotor flight. Just purchased SR from LHS. Have had some fun but have crashed a few times with lots of repairs. I have rebuilt head several times and now I want to re-establish proper blade pitch. I have previously tracked blades successfully, but now need to re-establish a good initial head condition with blades properly set. Not much help from Blade for this, no specific instruction. How should I start so pitch curve is correct throughout range of flight from 0 throttle to full. What is blade pitch at 0 stick, mid-way, and full stick? Should it b 0 pitch at 0 stick to some maximum amount for this particular helo? Keep in mind I dont want an aggressive bird b?c i am new at this? Any advice welcomed. The radio package is not programable either? Thanx JJETMEC

PS: my 1st post
jjetmec is offline Find More Posts by jjetmec
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Basically, all you can do is set throttle to 0 (with TX on, battery in and motor disconnected) and adjust pitch to 0 using a pitch gauge. Beyond that, all you can do is ensure the head has adequate travel up and down. You can't really set pitch limits without a programmable TX.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Take Bal's word, he's got a lot more time in the biz than I do.

Mechanically, zero pitch should occur at mid throttle on a linear pitch curve. But with the jiggered transmitter there is no way of knowing what should be where when. It's all arbitrary unless Horizon specifies it.

A typical beginner setting for a TX (after the mechanical center is set) gives a few degrees negative at zero stick rather than zero pitch. Maybe that's what Horizon has done to the TX, but unless they tell you or you measured it when it was new, there's no way to know. Until someone comes along who DID measure it when it was new. Anyone?

I know that's not very helpful, but just so you know it's not your fault for not knowing.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Jul 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Take Bal's word, he's got a lot more time in the biz than I do.

Mechanically, zero pitch should occur at mid throttle on a linear pitch curve. But with the jiggered transmitter there is no way of knowing what should be where when. It's all arbitrary unless Horizon specifies it.

A typical beginner setting for a TX (after the mechanical center is set) gives a few degrees negative at zero stick rather than zero pitch. Maybe that's what Horizon has done to the TX, but unless they tell you or you measured it when it was new, there's no way to know. Until someone comes along who DID measure it when it was new. Anyone?

I know that's not very helpful, but just so you know it's not your fault for not knowing.
Thanx guys. Did get a reply from Horizon. They say 0 pitch should occur at apx mid stick similar to your response,and at max throttle it should apx 10 degrees. All i know was right before i broke down head and repaired an experienced pilot at LHS was flying it and he said i needed to increase pitch authority..not enough response. so prior to me crashing it i was going toattempt that change. Now i am starting from scratch. So basically i should make servo arms 90, level swash and all arms, level fly paddles and use a pitch guage to establish a max and min? they also said to start at max of 10 and then should be close to 0 when moved to mid point..then track. how about trim lever during this process? jjetmec
jjetmec is offline Find More Posts by jjetmec
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Its funny on my blade400 my pitch are 10- 0 and a half , 10+ . I guess the mid pitch on mine it just off 0 but i dont have a problem flying it .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1