HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:41 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
I Survived BAR/CSS (was "First Contest--Etiquette?")

Dear HL Community,

One of you offering encouragement in the previous post asked to hear how it went. In a word, wonderfully! I had the most legal, harmless fun ever in one weekend.

Denny and his wife; his boys, Andy and Aaron; and his friend Bill provided everything we needed. Carlisle is a great site, thanks to Denny's power club. Denny designed challenging, engaging tasks, they fed us great food, breakfast and lunch, both days. Contest admin was smooth and easygoing. And every flyer was helpful and friendly, and we had a great time.

Most interesting to me were the topics of conversation at dinner Saturday, not the usual mindless guy stuff. Maybe we should try letting HL flyers run the world for a while.

I flew both days and cinched last place both days (but that was good enough for second place in Sportsman). (My competition strategy is to focus on underattended contests and classes to maximize my chances.)

The weather turned out to be challenging, rather than a bust. We took one or two rain breaks for light rain, and quit after 8 rounds Saturday, due to an isolated thunderstorm. (Oleg flew his unlimited ship after the storm, which was a good show, especially the zoom launch at the top of the winch!) There was usually a LITTLE lift, occasionally a lot. Good learning weather.

Since we were only twelve pilots, Denny flew each round man-on-man, the top six in the standings flying first heat, then the bottom six in the second heat each round. That way, each of us inexperienced to semi-experienced flyers had very experienced guys timing and calling air for us, and we got to time for them and watch and learn from them.

Oleg took first both days. There was very little and very light lift, but he always found some, and (I think--we were pretty busy all the time.) never landed out.

My flying improved a lot, especially flying smooth, and my throws. I had a two minute flight Saturday. On two tips from flyers (Tom Kiesling?who took second?and Greg Goodwin) prior to the last round, I added 50% to my launch height every throw, cored a good thermal, and stayed up 2:37, but landed out, so it didn?t count. It was still great fun and my longest flight to date!

I?m hooked. I?m going to do some evangelizing at the local clubs. I need to cultivate at least two more local flyers (for a total of four) to be able to fly in pairs and trade off timing each other, so we can practice real contest tasks, rather than just flying around. I hope to attend at least one day in Jersey, Sept. 13 or 14.

Thanks to all the support from the list members. It was great to meet some of you in person in Carlisle.

Good flying, all!

Marc
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:52 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,142 Posts
What do you mean by 'I hope to attend at least one day in Jersey, Sept. 13 or 14.' ? Is there another contest in Jersey?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:24 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
John,

From the Eastern Soaring League Contest Calendar (http://anker.home.attbi.com/ESL/Calendar.html):

Sept 13-14
South Jersey HL (not ESL)
Evans Mill Pond, Marlton, NJ_
contact John Jenks, jwjenks@netzero.net

See you there?

Marc
Old Jun 24, 2003, 06:33 AM
Joined May 2003
66 Posts
I might be wrong, but I believe that is an open class contest and not a hand launch contest.
hayman01 is offline Find More Posts by hayman01
Old Jun 24, 2003, 07:43 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,925 Posts
http://www.sjsf.org/Events.htm says:

September 14th: 4th Annual South Jersey Handlaunch Classic RC

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:42 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcbrust
September 14th: 4th Annual South Jersey Handlaunch Classic RC

Randy
Randy,

Thanks for finding the official South Jersey Flyers site, and for the correction on it being just a one-day HL contest. (It wasn't linked from the ESL site.) I also notice 4th Sundays at their field are handlaunch focused. I plan to be at the Sept 14th contest and might make it down on the 4th Sunday of August for some practice.

Be well,

Marc
Old Jun 24, 2003, 09:14 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,142 Posts
Marc,
I'm a member of SJSF. Hope to see you at the S. Jersey handlaunch contest. You probably won't see any of those top 5 BAR/CSS contestants there, but we do the same type of tasks.
Cliff (the other guy in sportsman class) usually attends.

Last year I tried to get the 'Special Sundays' get a following. Unfortunatly I was the only HL guy who would show up except for one month when two other HL guys showed up completely unaware that it was a Hand Launch Sunday. The weekend weather has been so bad this year that the Special Sunday thing has been ignored completely.

Hayman01,
We are having a SJSF ESL open contest in August.
The BASS club couldn't hold the event so we volunteered. It should be interesting. There are not many ESL events held at fields that are lined on all four sides with trees.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Last edited by John Gallagher; Jun 24, 2003 at 09:24 PM.