HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:47 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
New Product
FY-20A + Quadcopter

After hearing about the FY-20A auto stabilizer for planes, I wanted to see if it could add the autoleveling feature that my KapteinKuk based quadcopter lacked. Since installing it, I won't be going back to heading hold only mode again.

I was worried that the stabilizer would neuter my quad's flight behavior, but was glad to see that it still lets me zip around with reckless abandon, but with the knowledge that it'll quickly level out if I release the controls. Ever get that feeling (like falling backward in a chair) when you lose orientation or bank too hard because you just know your copter's gonna flip unless you act quick? Now I can let go of the controls, the copter will level out, and I can take time to work out which stick direction brings it home.

The FY-20A is designed to sit between your receiver and flight control board, so it only works with microprocesor controlled tri, quad, or hexa copters that use standard aileron, elevator, rudder inputs. If your's uses discrete gyros and requires 120° or other swashplate mixing, then you'd also need a CCPM mixer on-board.

Be sure to watch in 480p:

FY-20A + Quadcopter (4 min 44 sec)
patricklupo is online now Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Jul 27, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:30 AM
RTF copters maker
South France
Joined Jan 2008
1,186 Posts
Wow ! Impressive !!!
Heli stabilizer is also in test...
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTMwMDAzNDky.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI5ODMzMDEy.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI5ODQ1Nzky.html

Maximus
maximus-rc is offline Find More Posts by maximus-rc
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:11 AM
destructive testing expert
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
Impressive... but then, a good quad controller board should be able to do this on its own. Maybe you should check out one of the boards that support "stable mode", e.g., AeroQuad.
dcaspi is offline Find More Posts by dcaspi
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:57 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,582 Posts
This would be commercial way to add self leveling to the inexpensive quad and tricopter builds that do not have an accelerometer like Simon's build: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219598 or SignGuy's Tircopter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142429 or KapteinKuk's build: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143569 It does however, triple the cost and gets closer to the cost of a DIY board as the BaronPilot and Aeroquad and ArduCopter.
Cheers,
Jim
Your project added to the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jul 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Krakow/POLAND
Joined Dec 2009
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
After hearing about the FY-20A auto stabilizer for planes, I wanted to see if it could add the autoleveling feature that my KapteinKuk based quadcopter lacked. Since installing it, I won't be going back to heading hold only mode again....
Good idea, thank you

Jakub
Jakub J is offline Find More Posts by Jakub J
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:00 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Be interesting to see one of these on the Gaui 330x.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:43 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
If the Gaui 330X doesn't require any swashplate mixing on your radio then the stabilizer should work fine. FY-20A uses 3 accelerometers and 3 gyros to apply aileron/elevator/rudder to keep itself (and your copter) level so it's going to stabilize anything with standard airplane controls. The specs say it's able to track 1200 degrees/sec, so even if your quad is flipping at a rate of 3x a second, it should still be able to accurately determine pitch, roll and yaw position, and correct for it.

One advantage of an FY-20A on a heading hold based copter vs. one with self-leveling built in, is that I can toggle between HH and auto-leveling modes in-flight. From what I've seen, a lot of copters that have autoleveling, either cannot be switched to HH mode or must be re-programmed on the ground. Several I've seen with built-in stabilization also look to have very docile flight characteristics, but I may be mistaken. I wanted something that essentially offers a saftey net without compromising flight characteristics or agility.
Last edited by patricklupo; Jul 20, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:55 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
So the modes can be switch in flight via one of the radio channels correct? Does it just connect to the Rx channel to handle this? How many different "modes" does it have that can be toggled in flight?
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
So the modes can be switch in flight via one of the radio channels correct? Does it just connect to the Rx channel to handle this? How many different "modes" does it have that can be toggled in flight?
Yes, exactly. I use my radio's ch5 2-way switch to toggle between off and stabilization modes, but if you have a 3-way switch, the center position sets 3D mode. In a quadcopter, 3D mode is essentially the same as HH so it's not useful, but on a plane it will keep it pointed in the same direction (even vertically).

*If you leave the mode select servo wire disconnected, the FY-20A defaults to stabilization on.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:11 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I use my radio's ch5 2-way switch to toggle between off and stabilization modes, but if you have a 3-way switch, the center position sets 3D mode. In a quadcopter, this mode is essentially the same as HH mode so it's not useful, but on a plane it will keep it pointed in the same direction (even vertically).

*If you leave the mode select servo wire disconnected, the FY-20A defaults to stabilization on.
Thanks so for the quad it really only needs a 2 way switch as you stated.

So far do you feel it was a good investment, ie worth adding to a quad?

Sssume it works with any Tx/Rx setup such as Spektrum and so on, ie it doesn't require any special Rx or servos or related wiring?
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:39 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Thanks so for the quad it really only needs a 2 way switch as you stated.

So far do you feel it was a good investment, ie worth adding to a quad?

Sssume it works with any Tx/Rx setup such as Spektrum and so on, ie it doesn't require any special Rx or servos or related wiring?
Hi Schooner,

I'm the first to test the stabilizer on a quadcopter so I received a sample unit for testing. It exceeded my expectations and I wouldn't have anything to demo had it not worked. In the $100 range the price it's a good value, if you have a quadcopter without auto-stabilization. Before being contacted to the demo the unit, I'd already asked my wife to put it on my Christmas list.

I'd previously ordered an FMA CPD4 but cancelled it when I realized that a quad flys too low and moves too quickly to work properly with horizon sensors. Then I saw this accellerometer based unit knew it was my best option, but had wanted to wait a bit until someone could verify it really worked on a quad first. Turns out that someone ended up being me.

I built my QC almost exclusively for FPV but didn't want to go the very expensive (and heavy) route involving GPS position hold, waypoints, etc. I did want something lightweight to auto-level my small scale copter if I lost video (FPV folks know that's it not an if but a when video goes out), and the FY-20A did the trick. I'll be moving my camera and VTx from my heli to quad this week and will be posting a video of the results in this thread.

I don't have a Spektrum Rx to test it with but as long as it outputs PPM then I see no reason it wouldn't work. The specs list PPM and SPCM (Spektrum PCM?). I think the radio being used in the first demo on the webpage is a Futaba FAAST.
Last edited by patricklupo; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:57 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
Thanks again for the info. Once I get my 330X going I may have to look at this as a possible upgrade.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:38 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
thats very cool
do you know if the one that comes with an OSD works with quads
does RTH work for quads?
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 View Post
thats very cool
do you know if the one that comes with an OSD works with quads
does RTH work for quads?
The OSD would work but RTH would not work.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Quote:
I'm the first to test the stabilizer on a quadcopter so I received a sample unit for testing.
Patrick,
could you please be so kind as to post the basic connection diagramme for your quad with the FY20A in?
I think it will help lots of guys who want to go down your path.
Cheers,

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear