HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GregG, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:26 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,334 Posts
Discussion
My Latest Infatuation

I've wanted a Laser 917 ever since seeing an ad for one in a magazine in the early 70's. I must have been 14 or 15 and it may have been Hot Rod Mag or Popular Mechanics, I really can't remember.

Anyway, I'd just about forgotten about it until a few yrs ago someone posted a picture of one online and the "bug" bit into me again. I've been keeping my eyes peeled ever since then and found one nearby through a friend of a friend recently.

Here are a few pics of my new car.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
Congrads!
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:53 PM
Leading the Freedom Fight
Anywhere theres a need for a Hero!!!
Joined Feb 2003
16 Posts
Front Suspension

Try this webpage
Col. Snoopy is offline Find More Posts by Col. Snoopy
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
What happened to all of the posts?
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:07 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,334 Posts
I'd been mentioning about a car to the wife all along and she thought I was kinda nuts but said go for it if that's what I wanted. In the meantime she took off a couple of weekends ago for a gambling trip with friends to Reno.

Being the car was only 1 1/2 hr drive away I just had to take the chance and go see it in person. After checking the numbers on the pink slip against the VIN plates, I decided to bite the bullet. I'm now the very proud owner of Elite Enterprises Inc. 917-422! B)

This body is in very good shape with just a few scratches to touch up. Oh by the way it's a bright red color with factory Vector wheels and 295 60 15's in back and 265 60 15's in the front. It has a few crackes in the headlight covers but that doesn't bother me too much. The weatherstripping on the doors and windows also needs replacing.

The funny thing is, the seller only had it for a month and couldn't get it to run. This kid, his brother, and a few friends had hand pushed it back and forth up and down the street. I paid the guy and (after I got the pink slip in hands) I mention that there is no coil to distributer cap wire. When I asked them about it they said they thought that it didn't need one. They also could not get the alarm to shut off.

I called up a tower with a flatbed and had it hauled home that evening. It was funny following the tow driver and watching the expressions of the passersby as they went by the car on the freeway. There were many a tail light displayed as they slowed to get a better look. Made me feel even better about it.

So the next day the wife gets home and is treated to the red racer in the driveway. She's really actually very happy about the whole thing so this makes it tons easier for me. Her friends all had to come take a look and one even asked if she could take pics to show her son. All the while my head was swelling with pride. It amazes me that Kathy keeps going out to look at the car. She thinks it's really cool.

I temp fitted a coil wire and removed all of the engine-frame wires from the engine. I did this to bypass the old not working alarm that was preventing the car from being started. Made up a quicky wiring harness with a switch for on and a starter button under the hood. The gas tank was bone dry so I dumped in a gallon and made a tin foil funnel to fill the carburetor float bowl (I hate cranking a dry engine) and she fired on the 1st try!!!! I drove it once around the block and into the sideyard it went.

Now I have a place ready to safely store it. The garage right now is out of the question so the quickest thing was the side yard fence got made into a gate for the time being. The garage needs an addition to fit the car.

I've been showing these pictures to associates at work. It cracks me up to see the expressions on thier faces, kind of a wide eyed disbelief look, heh heh.

I worked late last night and one of the gals said just about what Kathy has been saying to me.

"You know you're in a mid life crisis, don't you?"

Little do they know, I just refuse to grow up!

This looks like it's going to be fun. With all of my extra duties around here it may be awhile before I actually get to drive it to work to show off, but I can wait.

I did drive it downtown Antioch today to Pantells Music Box. Owned by buddy Mark Pantell it's going to get an alarm transplant. Out with the old and in with a new Viper with a remote that'll let me know the alarm has been tripped, up to a mile away. It'll also be nice to use the ignition key for starting for once.

The next project is lowering the front end. The front tires are way too tall for me. Time to visit the tire store........
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG