SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:01 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Jerry, any more videos the way it is? Either of or in the plane?
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1 View Post
... I'm trying to put together a ground adjustable rotor head made from 250 size rotor blades which will give me infinite adjustability. Just received most of the parts required and should have some time to fabricate later this week.
Just wondering if you had success with the stock design, ie., onboard videos.

Be careful using heli blades for the nVader. Due to the never ending mysteries and delights of gyroscopics, rigid props will slow down then speed up (or vice versa, depending on spin and tilt directions) when you tilt them. The phenomenon represents an exchange of momentum from one realm to another, I believe, the total remaining constant.

This temporary moment will swing a hinged heli blade back and forth (in the plane of rotation). I have no idea what the effect will be, but probably can't be good. Reduced or delayed gyroscopic pitching moments acting on the aircraft, ie. less stability and control?

Incorporating such blades could be a whole R&D project by itself. I was hoping that you'd do some AP for us beforehand.

Gary
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Sep 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:59 AM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
Hmmm, helicopter rotors... could end up with Vortex Ring Instability, just like the V-22 Osprey when it transitions from forward flight to the hover in ground effect. Speaking of which, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06...y_park_mishap/
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
Just wondering if you had success with the stock design, ie., onboard videos.

Be careful using heli blades for the nVader. Due to the never ending mysteries and delights of gyroscopics, rigid props will slow down then speed up (or vice versa, depending on spin and tilt directions) when you tilt them. The phenomenon represents an exchange of momentum from one realm to another, I believe, the total remaining constant.

This temporary moment will swing a hinged heli blade back and forth (in the plane of rotation). I have no idea what the effect will be, but probably can't be good. Reduced or delayed gyroscopic pitching moments acting on the aircraft, ie. less stability and control?

Incorporating such blades could be a whole R&D project by itself. I was hoping that you'd do some AP for us beforehand.

Cheers Jerry

Gary
Lead and lag of the blade shouldnít be a problem except at low speeds because the centrifugal force will keep them in place. The acceleration should only create a momentary lag of all blades and should center. My goal is to maximize gyro scope properties and maximize efficiency with adjustable blade pitch. I not sure if the tilting will cause blade to lead lag related to till moment. We will test it out also be mindful of rpm so as not to have failure due to centrifugal force acting on the rotors. As I watch the rotor in the video; with the camera pointed aft. Note there is very small movements tilling the motor to maintain stability.

nVader 600 Camera Test II (2 min 28 sec)

I have been doing lots of flying and have some video but I too busy to edit it and post. But will do it soon. I do not have any more ground shot video for the lack of a camera operator.
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles meles View Post
Hmmm, helicopter rotors... could end up with Vortex Ring Instability, just like the V-22 Osprey when it transitions from forward flight to the hover in ground effect. Speaking of which, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06...y_park_mishap/
Wow

But it is to be expected that a 30+ thousand pound aircraft will displace a lot of air

Jerry
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Lead and lag of the blade shouldn’t be a problem except at low speeds because the centrifugal force will keep them in place ...
True, it may very well behave as a rigid prop. We'll have to wait and see.
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Sep 12, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:44 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,210 Posts
Any updates?
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Hi Guys

Still flying the nVader every chance I get and I have to say this is an awesome flying machine, I’m still fascinated with the lack of pitching of the fuselage and how roll stabilization is maintained with such narrow prop spacing, 24" between centers. This does not seem possible with the tri-copter I've tried to achieve this but without the gyroscopic action it will not maintain the level of stability. There is no choice but to extend the arms to achieve the same stability.

Any one started there builds yet?

I will post some video soon.

Jerry
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:28 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys

Still flying the nVader every chance I get and I have to say this is an awesome flying machine, Iím still fascinated with the lack of pitching of the fuselage and how roll stabilization is maintained with such narrow prop spacing, 24" between centers. This does not seem possible with the tri-copter I've tried to achieve this but without the gyroscopic action it will not maintain the level of stability. There is no choice but to extend the arms to achieve the same stability.

Jerry

WE need more videos ......

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:22 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys

Still flying the nVader every chance I get and I have to say this is an awesome flying machine, Iím still fascinated with the lack of pitching of the fuselage and how roll stabilization is maintained with such narrow prop spacing, 24" between centers. This does not seem possible with the tri-copter I've tried to achieve this but without the gyroscopic action it will not maintain the level of stability. There is no choice but to extend the arms to achieve the same stability.

Jerry
I'm just waiting the arrival of the nacelle upgrade then my build will get back underway. First test flights should be next weekend. Though it's the beginning of spring which means rain, rain and more rain here. Keeping busy with my Skywalker FPV/UAV build in the mean time.
ramboky is offline Find More Posts by ramboky
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:47 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboky View Post
I'm just waiting the arrival of the nacelle upgrade then my build will get back underway ...
I should point out that ramboky recieved a v4 kit back in July - as did eyeinsky1. The upgrade, which is a more robust motor mount and pivot, brings his plane up to a v5.

All kits currently shipping are v5's.

Gary
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Sep 16, 2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:31 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
256 Posts
My nacelle upgrade has arrived, I'm not sick and there have been no catastrophic earthquakes for days so I have no excuses. My build will resume tonight!
ramboky is offline Find More Posts by ramboky
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:36 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,646 Posts
So, just curious...if buying a kit...how long is a normal build and how much is included in a kit and what more needs to be purchased? Looking for a stable AP platform for a HeroHD.
Thanks
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:06 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
AeroRecon

I know the build can be done easily in an afternoon. There are three of four options on www.gressaero.com. I chose the bare bones kit my self "No GMM", I would suggest that most people included GMM in the kit. There is a little extra setup required to build your own GMM.

Very Stable AP platform work great for the Go-pro. Keep us post if you decide to tackle the project, any question post here. Iím sure as more and more build get underway input will be available from others as well. I know Gary will help also.

Jerry
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:46 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,646 Posts
Thanks Jerry.
I have been following the platform for a long time. Great to see an active thread with tons of great info. I will be paying close attention.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon