Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:45 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Routen View Post
Hey Jerry,
...If this is correct then can we use something like the FY-20A to help provide a more stable hover...
Further to Gary's response, I have an nVader 600 build underway (it was stalled temporarily while I was ill) and a FY-20A I intend to install once I have it flying stock. I will post my experiences here.
ramboky is offline Find More Posts by ramboky
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:44 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
Gary,

Yes, I should have directed my customer questions to you. Sorry for the mix-up.

Gary, can you tell me if it is possible to add GPS and altimiter/acceleromter for position hold and altitude hold?

What is the lead time for orders for nVader 600 models?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Routen is offline Find More Posts by Mike Routen
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:09 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Routen View Post
Gary,

Gary, can you tell me if it is possible to add GPS and altimiter/acceleromter for position hold and altitude hold?

What is the lead time for orders for nVader 600 models?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, I'm discussing this with two of the more popular autopilot manufacturers, Procerus and Attopilot. One of them has looked at the nVader's control physics and says they can do it - though it will require some custom software (the other sent me their pricelist). I take this as a general "yes." Do you you have a system in mind?

Right now the lead time for the nVader is 4-5 weeks as I catch up with some previous orders.

Gary
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:58 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
Gary,

Again, thanks for the info.

No, I don't have a particular system in mind. I'm really kind of poking around in the dark here. I'm just getting the idea that the nVader could be a good platform for AP but want to be sure that it will fill the bill for my AP business project.

I'm looking for something that can both give a good stable hover for stills and can also give a good smooth slow flight to give good video as well. The fact that it has high speed flight to get to and from the shooting location is a great bonus.

I will be watching the other builds here very closely!

Mike
Mike Routen is offline Find More Posts by Mike Routen
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:52 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Hi Guys

Just ran another 6 batteries though the ship this morning went beautifully. Perhaps I will have a camera operator this evening or at least have the Go-pro onboard.

My current set up is slightly different than stock as most who are fallowing are aware of.

Currently specs:

5S 4400mah battery
13 X 8 prop but have tried the 12 X 6 found it to be lacking in pitch stability as Gary has stated.
I’m using a custom GMM that dose use the same principle as Gary GMM other than the mixer program. I chose to vary the mix from Gary program to give myself ultimate radio programming. This is easy with my JR 10X radio.

Now that I see some of you are starting their build I will share a list of do and don’ts
Do:
-Fallow the instruction manual Gary has done great job with this document.
-Keep a Dremel tool handy during the build
-Make sure the motor bearing pivot freely there must not be any resistance in this connection. It will affect stability.
-Consider modifying the servo arm to dual link, a more robust setup and seem to improve control
-Make sure your ESC end point are set before you start setting roll control.

Don’ts:
-Power up for the first time with prop installed.

If there is any interest in the mods associated with my build feel free to contact me for more detail. I will do my best to aid you to fabricate all parts.

I will pass all these drawing on to Gary if he wants to add as a kit later.

Jerry
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Last edited by eyeinsky1; Sep 11, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:58 AM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
My build start time will be pretty much determined by the delivery of the kit from Gary - I'm estimating that there are perhaps a couple of weeks to go before I get my paws on it.

I intend to build it as per instructions, and only when I have attained a reasonable degree of proficiency at flying it will I add a camera. Following a few recommendations over on another thread here I have decided to use 2.4 GHz Extreme Power Systems r/c equipment for control.

The first camera to fly will be a Canon S90 or S95

Eventually I hope to install a 1.3 or 5.8 GHz video transmitter system to allow FPV (First Person View) flying.

I suspect the process outlined above could take up to a year.

Beyond that I have some half baked ideas (situation normal there then) about extending range and endurance by fitting some high aspect ratio wings well outboard of the propellor arcs. The plan will be to take off vertically or with a short run, climb steeply under engine power, then throttle back and glide to the target to be photographed, use the engines if required to hold position (hover into a wind like a Fieseler Storch if possible). The reason for this is purely to see if it can be done, but I like the idea of a V/STOL heavy lift platform with long endurance and the ability to operate out of confined spaces. Imagine a U2 crossed with a Rotodyne...
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Last edited by meles meles; Sep 06, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:18 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2008
17 Posts
Excelent build log here I can't wait to add to it. I will attempt to use the dragon osd to fly waypoints but there is no position hold. The ArduCopter platform does look promising but it is still being coded. Till then keep up this excellent post folks.
Krusher is offline Find More Posts by Krusher
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:13 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
Could one of you large brained ooman types give us some advice on a suitable battery and charger for the nVader? We were thinking of one of these 5S 5000mAh batteries, (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-5v-5000mAh-...#ht_1830wt_913) but the more we look into the specifications of batteries the more confused we become...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:39 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles meles View Post
Could one of you large brained ooman types give us some advice on a suitable battery and charger for the nVader? We were thinking of one of these 5S 5000mAh batteries, (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-5v-5000mAh-...#ht_1830wt_913) but the more we look into the specifications of batteries the more confused we become...

Though Jerry has succesfully used 5S, the nVader prop & motor combo is meant for 4S. The props, being 13x8 3-bladed, are large. 5S is more suited to driving smaller props with these motors; if you use it on the nVader you may experience overheating, reducing the life of your system.

Some customers may say they've had no problems with 5S. That's fine. But I need to step in here and say that's not what the aircraft was designed and tested for.

Gary
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:40 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
*makes notes, scurries away in search of a 4S battery*

What voltage should I be looking for - 18.5 ?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:45 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Here's the nVader 600 endurance-payload chart for various 4S batteries:
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Sep 11, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
*makes notes, scurries away in search of a 4S battery*

What voltage should I be looking for - 18.5 ?
3.7x4 = 14.8
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
So something like this Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 20C 30C (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turnigy-5000mA...#ht_1094wt_754 ) looks like it might be pretty good then...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:02 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
So something like this Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 20C 30C (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turnigy-5000mA...#ht_1094wt_754 ) looks like it might be pretty good then...
yes ... that's fine.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
Though Jerry has succesfully used 5S, the nVader prop & motor combo is meant for 4S. The props, being 13x8 3-bladed, are large. 5S is more suited to driving smaller props with these motors; if you use it on the nVader you may experience overheating, reducing the life of your system.

Some customers may say they've had no problems with 5S. That's fine. But I need to step in here and say that's not what the aircraft was designed and tested for.

Gary

Ideally the best prop for the 5S set up would be the 13 X 6 set but it is impossible to find and the 12 X 6 does not produce enough stability because it has less mass. I'm trying to put together a ground adjustable rotor head made from 250 size rotor blades which will give me infinite adjustability. Just received most of the parts required and should have some time to fabricate later this week.
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1