HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon View Post

BTW anyone know how long these usually take to ship?

*sits at window impatiently looking for parcel truck*
Krylon, mid-summer we got behind and were worse than four weeks. We're catching up and will be better than that.

Gary
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
Meles, Krylon's right; the stab is needed for high speed flight. Props with their axes not parallel to flight path make the nose pitch up. The same pitch-up moments occur in tris and quads but you'd never know it because of differential fore-aft thrusts to compensate.

Gary
Hey Gary , Is it safe to say , that you fly along at 8mph and not have these "pitch-up" tendencies ? OR ....is it a learning curve to fly it smoothly ? Your right about the tri's , and quads , and even FP helo's ...Theres' a learning curve to flying all these smoothly , so I'm sure they are with the nvaders ....? Right ?

Thanks for being so kind and answering all the questions

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:59 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Terry,

The horiz. stab takes care of that, ie., keeping the aircraft level. It turns out it's lift and the prop pitch-up moment are both functions of V^2, so once the stab is set for one forward speed it balances the a/c at all the others. Putting the stick forward is pretty much the same as stepping on the gas in a car - I've never noticed a transition that had to be dealt with.

Gary
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Aug 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Thanks Gary

After a few more flight we move into high level testing this will be very helpful for this next stage. Looking fwd to the adventure

Jerry
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
*Picks up 'phone, warns Chicken Licken to don crash helmet*
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:50 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Hi Guys

Just an update; the nVader will be moving into high level testing soon.

I have a few parts to change to make her airworthy, form some small crash damage during the first flight testing phase. These are all low cost items and Gary has hooked me up.

Cheers Jerry
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:01 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
As a newbie to the RC world, I'm looking for an AP platform and am intrigued by the nVader. Can anyone tell me if this platform could be able to perform the GPS hold / Altitude hold that the Hex and Octo platforms can?

I think the nVader has a lot going for it with the ability to get on location quickly and if it can be stabilized once on station, it could make a very nice AP platform.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Mike Routen is offline Find More Posts by Mike Routen
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:41 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Routen View Post
As a newbie to the RC world, I'm looking for an AP platform and am intrigued by the nVader. Can anyone tell me if this platform could be able to perform the GPS hold / Altitude hold that the Hex and Octo platforms can?

I think the nVader has a lot going for it with the ability to get on location quickly and if it can be stabilized once on station, it could make a very nice AP platform.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Mike

All the wonderful stuff will work on the nVader it uses a standard airplane program. If a chap was to fly fpv you would need some sort of artificial flight correction GPS or horizon based. This ship has ample payload and additional weight actually increases the stability.

I personal have no intention to doing fpv but would like to have stability for hovering at distances line of sight.

Jerry
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:14 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
Jerry,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if this aircraft can be stored in something smaller than its ready-to-fly configuration? If so, how long/difficult is it to make ready to fly?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:05 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Jerry,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if this aircraft can be stored in something smaller than its ready-to-fly configuration? If so, how long/difficult is it to make ready to fly?

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike

It breakes down in minutes will fit into 24X12" case. Stabilizer is removable from tail boom, tail boom is very robust there for can be secure or store externaly.

Getting very comfortable with the flight characteristics of the craft, but will have to delay testing till after hurricane Earl passes through.

Cheers Jerry
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:55 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
Hey Jerry,

I've got a few more questions if you don't mind.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on an AP platform and it is between the nVader and the ArduCopter.

There are many things that I really like about the nVader, but there are a few things that I'm not too clear on yet. If I understand correctly, the nVader takes airplane type control inputs and converts them into the correct values to control the platform. If this is correct then can we use something like the FY-20A to help provide a more stable hover? Or are there other components that you are already using to help augment stability?

What are the weather restrictions for flying the nVader? Wind velocity? Precipitation?

Do you have any customers that are currently using the nVader for AP? If so, would it be possible to contact them to see how well the platform is working for them?

I just found the webpage that shows the shrouded blades which is one thing I've been really wanting in order to reduce risk of damage or injury. Are these available yet?

I hate to pester you with a bunch of questions, but my budget doesn't have a lot of room for me to pick a platform that won't work for aerial photography.

I appreciate all of your help and time in answering these questions.

Mike
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:18 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
If you aren't in a rush to build your Gress nVader, you could wait and learn from my experiences. I have an nVader 600 on order that I intend to kit out for aerial photography. I'm a novice to r/c aircraft so I guess if I can do it, anyone can. I'll be publishing here my experiences: so far they are good - Gary Gress has been very helpful answering questions I have put to him.
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:26 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
meles meles,

I am very interested to hear how things go for you on your nVader build.

Up to this point Gary has been very responsive in answering my questions on this forum and it looks like he has a solid product.

What type of camera do you have planned for the nVader? Do you have any plans for augmenting the flight controls or are you going to see how the unit flies out of the box?

I am also new to the RC world, however I used to be an instructor in full-scale helicopters so I am familiar with their operation.

What kind of time frame are you planning on? Weeks, months, or ???

Feel free to email me or post here.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:52 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Hey Jerry,

I've got a few more questions if you don't mind.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on an AP platform and it is between the nVader and the ArduCopter.

There are many things that I really like about the nVader, but there are a few things that I'm not too clear on yet. If I understand correctly, the nVader takes airplane type control inputs and converts them into the correct values to control the platform. If this is correct then can we use something like the FY-20A to help provide a more stable hover? Or are there other components that you are already using to help augment stability?

What are the weather restrictions for flying the nVader? Wind velocity? Precipitation?

Do you have any customers that are currently using the nVader for AP? If so, would it be possible to contact them to see how well the platform is working for them?

I just found the webpage that shows the shrouded blades which is one thing I've been really wanting in order to reduce risk of damage or injury. Are these available yet?

I hate to pester you with a bunch of questions, but my budget doesn't have a lot of room for me to pick a platform that won't work for aerial photography.

I appreciate all of your help and time in answering these questions.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Because of your "customers" question I think you may have intended this for me rather than Jerry.

Jerry's the first customer to put a camera on the nVader. So we'll have to wait and see more from him and from others who are just building or receiving their kits.

Regarding hover stability and also precipitation here is a small clip taken a couple of weeks ago:

nVader VTOL in rain, traffic & shrink wrap - Gress Aeronautics (1 min 11 sec)

It's been flown in light rain like this a couple of times now. It doesn't appear to affect the motors, but you'll always want to keep the electonics in the center of the aircraft dry.

I've found that I can hover it at a distance (say >100 ft) ... and without having to really work to keep it in the air; the necessary visual clue is drift rather attitude. It will tend to drift longitudinally more than anything else; lateral drift is pretty much non existent. But, of course, this a function of wind, and I usually hover pointed into the wind.

Shrouds around the props are not available for the aircraft at the present time. They tend to pitch the aircraft up in forward flight or in winds. A simple loop of wire or tube may be the answer - I will be looking into this.

Since it has accelerometers as well as gyros, the FY-20A may be better than the GMM that comes with the nVader - especially when it comes to preventing drift. But this needs to be confirmed before I can make any recommendation. You would still need to take the two output mixers from the GMM and connect them to the FY-20A.

Gary
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Sep 05, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:58 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
I've found that I can hover it at a distance (say >100 ft) ... and without having to really work to keep it in the air; the necessary visual clue is drift rather attitude. It will tend to drift longitudinally more than anything else; lateral drift is pretty much non existent. But, of course, this a function of wind, and I usually hover pointed into the wind.

Gary
I agree with this statement. I'm still learning the visual cues relate to flight, for most part drift is the most obvious cue, roll is visually related to control input. Pitch on the other hand has no big signs related to stick movement. As a Camera ship a big plus.