Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:59 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1 View Post
I have 13 X 8 props and hope to get more stick movement with 12X 6. she off the ground just past 1/4 throttle. I've got the curve scaled back to 0 to 60% linear other wise she a little tough to mange power. I will look at the amps tomorrow.

I fly line of sight keep in mind hover at great distance is impossible without stabilization.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry , the 12 x 6 's should give you a few more RPM's , and a little more stabilty ......right ? .....

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:28 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon View Post
I don't think its realistic to expect the nVader to travel very far given its relativly short flight times. However that said the FPV forum does have a rather concerning ammount of threads about control faliures & lockouts using the spectrum systems even at short range.
I fly FPV, and consistently fly out to around 3km range, before turning for home (I could fly further but just dont take that risk).
This is with standard Spektrum DX6i plus AR7000.... on the Plane. No lockouts or flight problems at all.

This nVader looks a very interesting concept and design.

The smaller model we see in the latter pages of this thread being alot more practical to transport and fly. About the same size as a 450 / 500 Heli ?
On that subject, based more closely on a Helicopter (VTOL), this model is probably better spent, loitering, and generally hovering around, be it for general flying, AP or FPV.

If you are thinking long range FPV (or AP), you will be better suited with a Plane! MUCH greater flight times / efficiency / stability.

Back to this model, reviewing the first videos in flight, it (unfortunately) doesnt appear more stable (or even as stable) as a Quadrocopter or Tricopter? Again, perhaps its flight characteristics ARE more like a conventional R/C Helicopter.

That said, a fun and interesting model, a refreshing change.
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:03 AM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMAX-T View Post
Thanks Jerry , the 12 x 6 's should give you a few more RPM's , and a little more stabilty ......right ? .....

Terry
Terry,

RPMs go up but prop mass (inertia) goes down as you you decrease the prop size, so gyroscopics stay approx. the same.

The best thing is to carry more batteries and/or payload with the same props. What you see in the videos is the lightest possible configuration, ie., a single 4S 3000mAh batt. and no payload.

Gary
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
Terry,

RPMs go up but prop mass (inertia) goes down as you you decrease the prop size, so gyroscopics stay approx. the same.

The best thing is to carry more batteries and/or payload with the same props. What you see in the videos is the lightest possible configuration, ie., a single 4S 3000mAh batt. and no payload.

Gary
Thanks Gary ....

Terry
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:35 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Before I anwer SKY's question I will post this little video. If picture is worth a thousand word what's a video worth? 30fps do the math

nVader 600 Test flight III (1 min 27 sec)

Cheers Jerry
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Last edited by eyeinsky1; Aug 20, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Nice solid hover Jerry .....looks great !

Terry.....more,more.......
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:59 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2008
17 Posts
Fantastic hover, I'm hoping you post a video of some circuit flying. I'm about 3 weeks from delivery of my nvader. I plan to use a Spektrum DX7 plus AR7000 on this and eventually FPV/AP. No I won't be doing any long range flying. I just want some interesting pictures/video from it.

I will be following this thread closely for building tips.

Cheers,
John
Krusher is offline Find More Posts by Krusher
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:46 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
So will us, ooman !

I'm torn between the Spectrum system you propose to use, or an Extreme Power Systems 2.4GHz set up . I only plan to fly my nVader (delivery time around 4 weeks from now) at close range, but if I went for the XPS set up I could interchange it to fly another project I'm working on - two sailplanes linked together to give a P38 Lightning style aircraft for aerial photogrpagy . FPV flying... The same camera pod would probably be carried by the nVader too, though only close in.
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2008
17 Posts
I chose the Spektrum originally for my jet trainer, I wanted a solid rf link using the diversity of the AR7000 rX. I have since used the tx on a number of other projects. I'm really not familiar with the other 2.4 Ghz technologies out there. I think its a matter of what works for you. This is what works for me and I plan on using it in the nvader as said before. But this is a build thread and I am most interested in the lessons learned by the author.

Cheers,
Krusher is offline Find More Posts by Krusher
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:44 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
OK here some more video just playing around. Iím slowly working up to more and more flight ability. Few crashes but no real damage, did I say this thing crashes well

Control adjustments are getting close soon will post some stats but this flight 6min 2700mah.

nVader 600 Test Flight IV (6 min 56 sec)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:55 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Hey Jerry , lookin' good ! Are you delibertly just keeping it close , and still tuning , or are you just learning to fly ? ......Are you a helo, qaud flyer ? I'm just looking forward to seeing some circuits with this rig ..... It actually looked LESS stable than before ... or is this me ?

Thanks Terry
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:28 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
KAMAX

Baby step I've been flying it with one small defect. I'm using two clone PG-03 gyro mixing 1 and 2 channels mix on the radio like some of the Tri guys have done. This is not the best way to setup the roll / throttle channel I have one more mixer coming and a better gyro.

Yes I have been playing with it so what you see as instability is actual pilot input. This machine is very sensitive to input so lot of expo and flying smooth help. The end of the video you can see the smooth flight coming back. If you let the stick go she pretty good. I had Paul shoot the flag so you guy could see the wind level. Today the wind was much stronger flight was more challenging.

I never rolled video though.

Jerry
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:31 AM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
I'm confused, eyeinsky1. (Badgers have small brains). I was assuming that all the mixing was done onboard by the supplied GMM so am wondering why you have the PG-03 gyros and so forth...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
he didn't get the GMM
bradleyK is offline Find More Posts by bradleyK
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:19 AM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
I'm hoping to take delivery of an nVader 600 (V4) kit myself in about a month's time and I'm just wondering what would be the best thing to do: record its build here, or start a thread of my own? I'm tempted to do the latter rather than hijack this one. Anybody out there got any strong feelings on the issue ?