SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:37 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
I'm based under the UK and would appreciate some suggestions on what might be the best r/c control gear to utilise. After some study of the options on offer, I'm thinking of a Spectrum DX6i in conjunction with an AR6200 receiver. Longer term, I'd like to fit a camera and possibly even a FPV system. The nVader appears to require 4 channels to operate, thereby leaving me two channels spare to actuate cameras or other payloads.
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Last edited by meles meles; Aug 18, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:46 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles meles View Post
I'm based under the UK and would appreciate some suggestions on what might be the best r/c control gear to utilise. After some study of the options on offer, I'm thinking of a Spectrum DX6i in conjunction with an AR7000 receiver. Longer term, I'd like to fit a camera and possibly even a FPV system.
Sounds like a good choice, with the nVader GMM mix are done onboard so only 4ch required to operate all controls. That would leave 2 ch free for Aux purposes.
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:51 PM
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
198 Posts
meles,

You should check out the FPV forum here
http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/

General consensus is that 2.4Ghz systems are not reccomended for FPV unless you add a substantial booser to them.

Ive just follwed the instructions from Christ Rigotti (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247186) and added a 1W booster to my radio. However thats getting off topic.

Back on topic i just ordered an nVader 600 and can't wait to try it out
Krylon is offline Find More Posts by Krylon
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:32 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
That's an intriguing thread Krylon. Some of it is a little dubious from the legality point of vew, and some of it from the Laws of Physics aspect, particularly propagation and interference, but it certainly provides food for thought and most of it is sound ! My plans are far less ambitious, at least for the moment.

Stage 1 will be to build and test fly the nVader, hopefully becoming moderately competent at piloting it.

Stage 2 will be to install a camera package to take stills and maye short videos

Stage 3 will be to look at a FPV system, though initially only for short ranges and purely for fun.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon View Post
meles,

You should check out the FPV forum here
http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/

General consensus is that 2.4Ghz systems are not reccomended for FPV unless you add a substantial booser to them.

Ive just follwed the instructions from Christ Rigotti (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247186) and added a 1W booster to my radio. However thats getting off topic.

Back on topic i just ordered an nVader 600 and can't wait to try it out
or you could use XPS system what I use, 5 mile range with no mods to my JR9303 or JR10X http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xtremelink.php
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:27 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
horses for courses

Hmmm, spoilt for choice.... though I don't know if that is available over on this side of the pond...

Is it realistic though to expect to operate the nVader out to the kind of range such a system can achieve ? If the transmitter / receiver combination has a range of 5 miles, and assuming that the video system can match that reliably, then it would presumably come down to battery life and propulsive efficiency. Given that the battery life is quoted at around 12 to 18 minutes depending upon payload, then a round trip of 10 miles would need to be performed at pretty high speed to make full use of the radio / control range....
Last edited by meles meles; Aug 18, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:19 AM
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
198 Posts
I don't think its realistic to expect the nVader to travel very far given its relativly short flight times. However that said the FPV forum does have a rather concerning ammount of threads about control faliures & lockouts using the spectrum systems even at short range.

And so far i can find no legal restriction in the UK for the 1W 2.4Ghz booster i am using for the controller. 1W on the VTx now that would be illegal without a licence.

However personally id sooner risk a wrist slap for a powerfull Tx than risk crashing a plane to control faliure. Especially given how over complicated the radioband liscencing is here in the UK. Finding relevant info for things like RC and short rage video transmissions is more than a little difficult. so im going to continue untill somone tells me to stop
Krylon is offline Find More Posts by Krylon
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:51 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
I recall that in the UK, as a general rule, unlicensed transmission are limited to 10 mW though there are some general class exclusions. Above 10mW, transmitters generally require some form of licence or class exemption. I agree with your viewpoint: it's best to fly safely !

I'm still considering what would be the best radio gear for my nVader, particularly as it may need to be interchangeable with the kit I'm planning to put in a fixed wing aircraft. If I go with 2.4 GHz kit then there is much to be said for the lower cost Futuba and Spectrum radios: both will seemingly be quite adequate for the two to three hundred yard range over which I anticipate using the nVader. For fixed wing flight greater ranges would be much appreciated and so the older 27 / 35 MHz kit has much to recommend it. The high power 2.4GHz kit sounds attractive but I know too little about it to make an informed choice.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:21 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,941 Posts
If the radio is modified its subject to re examination by OFCOM, I had to get MacGregor to ask JR in Japan for more details of my 9XII for flight at Farnborough the standard hobby permission granted is not thought enough for UAS, either private or commercial. So for a few days I had a special licence to operate my standard old gear with no mods ;-) Its a funny world.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
118 Posts
Yeah but what about the nVader?
datapolo is offline Find More Posts by datapolo
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Iím doing a lot of flying. My camera man is up in Goose Bay NL. but I'm getting it dialled in. I will post some ground to air video soon. Itís flying very well and will adding the camera soon.

Jerry
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
I just flew her with a big 5S 4000mah bat, it even better more weight more rpm she even more stable. I've ordered some 12 X 6 props to try out.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:19 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1 View Post
I just flew her with a big 5S 4000mah bat, it even better more weight more rpm she even more stable. I've ordered some 12 X 6 props to try out.

What does she come ....(props that is ) ....

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:20 PM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
*watches intently, makes notes*

eyeinsky1: What kind of range do you operate your nVader at ?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:05 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
I have 13 X 8 props and hope to get more stick movement with 12X 6. she off the ground just past 1/4 throttle. I've got the curve scaled back to 0 to 60% linear other wise she a little tough to mange power. I will look at the amps tomorrow.

I fly line of sight keep in mind hover at great distance is impossible without stabilization.

Jerry