to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
Re increased nVader endurance:

I just had a query from a potential customer about using props other than the stock 13x8"

Master Airscrew also makes 14x7" 3-blade CW & CCW props. Both the increased diameter and decreased pitch should improve hover endurance of the nVader. The present motors should be okay to drive them.

My only concern is a degradation in roll stability, as these props will probably resist RPM changes a bit more. I'll order a trial set with my next order from the supplier and report back.

Gary
Good news

The nVader roll stab is a mystery to me. The standard tri setup will not maintain roll control with this dimension and prop weight.

Jerry
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:09 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1 View Post
Good news

The nVader roll stab is a mystery to me. The standard tri setup will not maintain roll control with this dimension and prop weight.

Jerry
It comes from the props tilting partly sideways in the same direction (with yaw inputs, in this case from the gyro) and the fact yaw and roll are heavily coupled in these craft (as they are in tricopters and quadcopters etc.). Roll corrections will induce yaw corrections, which - in the nvader's case - reduce the roll deviation (whew!). Increasing yaw gyro gain will improve roll stability on the nVader.

It's a very lucky (and accidental) offshoot of oblique tilting, which was originally developed to enable just pitch stability. What it does is allow a smaller aircraft (ie., shorter arms) for the same weight.

Gary
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Oct 12, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
More fun in the wind

nVader Fall Flying II (5 min 42 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
Underground
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
Impressive flying, eyeinsky ! You made that look so simple even a badger could hope to do it...

We've had word from Gary that ours is on its way down the production line so in a few weeks we'll be able to try it for ourselves.
meles meles is offline Find More Posts by meles meles
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:05 PM
Design and fly
IL
Joined Dec 2008
240 Posts
Why did you slow the video down? Why not just show the actual video?
skycam4 is offline Find More Posts by skycam4
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:37 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
John

Slowed it down and edited it too. Make myself look better. I have finished with the unedited cuts for now. Winds 30km gusting 50km, by the time I quit there were white cap on the lake. It’s all fun can't wait for the winds to die.

I got nothing to hide don't sell them just fly them. I like the nVader it works for me.

Jerry
Last edited by eyeinsky1; Oct 12, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:57 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Normal speed one more time in windy condition 30km gusting 50km for John at "Airfoil System"

normal speed (2 min 59 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1 View Post
Normal speed one more time in windy condition 30km gusting 50km for John at "Airfoil System"
No way that wind was blowing that speed. I looked closely and did not even see the branches moving. What are you using for measurement? Take it back...its busted!

What happens if you let go of the sticks? How stable is that? Almost looks like you are fighting it the whole time. The constant rocking would not work well at all for any aerial video work.
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:52 AM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Jerry, it is in fact rocking (rolling) back and forth - which it shouldn't.

In most cases the roll gyro gain should be set to maximum. Once that is done then adjust the yaw gyro gain; there's usually an optimum setting, which is not necessarily maximum.

Also, are you still using 5S batteries? If so, they're really meant to drive smaller props. The pre-production aircraft were tested only with 4S batteries per the motor reviewers' data for the selected prop size - and the production aircraft were released only with these batteries being specified. If anyone is interested I can provide a link to the motor specs and reviewer tests.

Aircraft not built or operated according to the nVader 600 Instruction Manual - regardless of any arguments for doing so - should not be taken as representative of the stock model.

My recommendation: Throw in two or more 4S 3000mAh batteries.

Gary

PS. I'm going to New Jersey this (Wed) morning to prepare and demo some eVader 750s recently shipped down there and won't be back until Saturday.
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Oct 13, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:11 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
No way that wind was blowing that speed. I looked closely and did not even see the branches moving. What are you using for measurement? Take it back...its busted!

What happens if you let go of the sticks? How stable is that? Almost looks like you are fighting it the whole time. The constant rocking would not work well at all for any aerial video work.
I was just having some fun in the windy weather posted see for you self http://www.hrmweather.com/wxwinddetail.php. I flew on Sunday just before noon. I turned the rates up on my radio. I'm sure any one that fly’s a tri will understand the rates a usually set low. I want more control with the gusty condition. I'm on the lee side of the tree and if anything it makes it worse. Out near the center there is lots of wind gusts.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:24 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGress_1 View Post
Jerry, it is in fact rocking (rolling) back and forth - which it shouldn't.

In most cases the roll gyro gain should be set to maximum. Once that is done then adjust the yaw gyro gain; there's usually an optimum setting, which is not necessarily maximum.

Also, are you still using 5S batteries? If so, they're really meant to drive smaller props. The pre-production aircraft were tested only with 4S batteries per the motor reviewers' data for the selected prop size - and the production aircraft were released only with these batteries being specified. If anyone is interested I can provide a link to the motor specs and reviewer tests.

Aircraft not built or operated according to the nVader 600 Instruction Manual - regardless of any arguments for doing so - should not be taken as representative of the stock model.

My recommendation: Throw in two or more 4S 3000mAh batteries.

Gary

PS. I'm going to New Jersey this (Wed) morning to prepare and demo some eVader 750s recently shipped down there and won't be back until Saturday.
Enjoy your trip

Please do send me the motor data. Like I said I had the rates set high it stable enough for me. I could have removed the tail then the wind would have been much affect but I still have not progressed to "fast" fwd flight. I was using the wind to simulate fwd flight. It my process it works for me.

Thanks Jerry
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
C/F Servo and Wheel Mounts.

I finally got it all together except for the wheels. It hovers nicely and with the push-pull system it seems a little crisper on the sticks. I actually had to turn the pitch gyro down some to get the hover smooth! Can hardly wait to get it outside now!...JJ
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954
Last edited by JJtr1954; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:57 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
JJ looks good

nVader Fall Flying (6 min 24 sec)

nVader operating in windy condition with rates set lower. I hope this is a more to your liking. I have done many mods to the original unit and will continue to do so. If there are any concerns please ask the question I've always been open to comment. This is a personal equipped for my needs, I will share if ask. Please do not accuse me of hiding or editing the video to be related to the nVader operation. I will always do my best to answer question about my experience with this craft.

Gary has supported this craft and has always been willing fill us all in on the knowledge he has complied over many years designing it.

I have said my piece; I will not get into back and forth with other manufacture that seems set on derailing the success of this wonderful craft.

Cheers Jerry
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
215 Posts
Hi all

Has any one got one of these in the UK? if so how long does it take to ship out?
Njoro is offline Find More Posts by Njoro