HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Discussion
nVader 600 build

Hi Guys

I'm just starting build post for the nVader 600. I had two full evening so far and it going great. Gary has supplied good plan and all the part but keep your Dremel tool handy for some minor adjustments. It is quite simple build, the main attraction to the machine for me. I will fly it stock for little while, then the modification will really start but letís proof the concept first as AP platform, them make it into a camera ship.

My plans will be simple: one modified nVader 600, custom electronic setup including the AP2000I and my active stab gimble with Go-pro camera.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...view=slideshow

Jerry
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Last edited by eyeinsky1; Feb 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:39 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1 View Post
Hi Guys

I'm just starting build post for the nVader 600. I had two full evening so far and it going great. Gary has supplied good plan and all the part but keep your Dremel tool handy for some minor adjustments. It is quite simple build, the main attraction to the machine for me. I will fly it stock for little while, then the modification will really start but letís proof the concept first as AP platform, them make it into a camera ship.

My plans will be simple: one modified nVader 600, custom electronic setup including the AP2000I and my active stab gimble with Go-pro camera.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...view=slideshow

Jerry
Looking forward to it Jerry .... Always loved the concept

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Anything new ? need to see this one fly .....I'm interested in his > (gary's) new forward and pitch control . A little different from the proto-types ....chop-chop .....! !

Terry
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:51 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,775 Posts
I shall watch this one with interest a friend has just bought the first one in the UK I think.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:35 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,009 Posts
Very interested. I'm curious as to several things:

Vibration, stability, ease of maintenance, etc. What everyone else is probably thinking.

Just curious - why is the canopy so large? Is this a stylistic thing or is it part of an aerodynamic means?

Is the tail plane movable / does it need to be and is it part of the control system?

The ESC's and motors - are they readily available, in case of the magic smoke getting out?

What camera are you going to run on this thing and where do you plan to mount it?

Are you aware of any issues with Futaba 2.4 on this nVader, like the MK's have (due to the ESC's requiring a PCM interface)?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:58 AM
Metric
North Oxfordshire
Joined Dec 2009
1 Posts
I'm the friend of Gary who has one on order and I really look forward to the project. I'm sure there will be issues (as with all things) but life would be dull without some challenges. I'm new to the forum ... as an active member anyway ... but will join in with this strand as and when I remember! At the moment I'm still waiting for the postman to deliver the box!
helimetric is offline Find More Posts by helimetric
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:09 AM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Very interested. I'm curious as to several things:

Vibration, stability, ease of maintenance, etc. What everyone else is probably thinking.

Just curious - why is the canopy so large? Is this a stylistic thing or is it part of an aerodynamic means?

Is the tail plane movable / does it need to be and is it part of the control system?

The ESC's and motors - are they readily available, in case of the magic smoke getting out?

What camera are you going to run on this thing and where do you plan to mount it?

Are you aware of any issues with Futaba 2.4 on this nVader, like the MK's have (due to the ESC's requiring a PCM interface)?
Eddie,

First reports from customers are that it's easier to hover and fly than a conventional heli. We'll see as more come in. The only maintenance is having to recenter the gyros with substantial changes in air temperature. With the props balanced the source of vibration is just the downwash over the spar.

The canopy is large to accomodate payloads. The stock payload tray you see in Jerry's (eyeinsky1's) photo measures 50x150mm, but there's an optional, 100x300mm one (4x the area).

The horizontal stabilizer is ground-adjustable. Once set for level flight it doesn't need to be adjusted again.

The motors and ESCs are Turnigys.

We've flown PPM, PCM (JR and Futaba) and 2.4 (Futaba) with no issues.

Gary
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:00 AM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Thanks Gary

I'm away this week so no progress. I should be good to go as soon as I get back home on Monday.

Cheers Jerry
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
Subscribed - looking forward to seeing what kind of video you can get out of it.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:52 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
nVader 600 Ground test

nVader 600 gound test (1 min 32 sec)
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:56 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,355 Posts
Oh man! The suspense is killing me! I can't wait to see it fly!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:56 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post
Oh man! The suspense is killing me! I can't wait to see it fly!
Me too ...... looks like all systems are go ....

Terry ---
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:45 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Jerry, make sure your homebuilt GMM follows the pitch gyro rules specific to these aircraft:

- initially set the pitch gyro gain such that the prop shafts remain in a vertical plane when
pitching the aircraft by hand. See illustration below.
- the gyro output (rotation of the tilt servos) is proportional to pitch angle, not pitch rate. This means, among other things,
that the props do not return to neutral when you stop the pitching. Not unless you bring the aircraft back to horizontal.
- once flying, you can ignore the first rule and adjust the gain to fine tune the
flying quality

Gary
Last edited by GaryGress_1; Aug 02, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:36 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Gary

Great pictorial, I will post the video with the correct pitch gyro control when I get the rest of the gear. What do you think about the change?

Replace the helicopter landing gear with wheel. This gives the ship a wider stance and gives the trust vectoring servo some protection. Tomorrow we install the camera mount system.

Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:54 AM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Jerry,

Great idea for the landing gear.

These planes are begging for the gear to be in the nacelles - like you've done here - rather than being fitted with conventional heli struts and skids. The problem is that it's been hard to implement in production, especially at a comparable price.

Gary