HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:26 PM
Espaa, CL, vila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Proyect updates.

Thanks to Johnny, who pushed me to finish this bike when I felt quite low, this proyect is closer to a happy ending.

Take a look at the pics and, please, help me to find room for two esc, a servo tester, a Rx and a transponder....

Because this bike will be fast "like a bat out of hell"...

Open to comments and ideas.

Cesar.

Steve posing for the pic (hope this rider last longer than time taken to detail both boots...)

And the new bike....

trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:44 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,393 Posts
Beautiful Bike!!

I'm so jealous - you're going to drive me to actually finish one of my many projects!

If you're using the servo tester to ramp up the gyro speed, you should be able to get away with a small sensorless airplane ESC. That's what I used for my Ricky e-gyro.

Dave
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:06 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,784 Posts
Your almost there! I think the biggest concern is the back end though. Lots of space can be used and you NEED a wheelie bar. Absolutely need it on these bikes, so unfortunately those bars that go to the back to hold the rear part of body will need to be replaced with a strong extension of the frame going back along with a wheelie bar that extends back. You will find at least enough space for your rx and gyro esc/server tester, but maybe also enough room for your main esc too. Another thing I notice is no side crash bars. Those are a must have too.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:52 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,814 Posts
Nice Another thing if you want it to actually work on dirt i would use the MM450 wheels & tyres.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:14 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Elegant and gorgeous.

The question is, will we see it in Fehring?
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Nice Another thing if you want it to actually work on dirt i would use the MM450 wheels & tyres.
Beautiful bike but like TJ said you may want to use bits from a bike that works on the dirt if that is your aim such as like he suggested beadlock rims and soft compound tyres from the MM450 also direct steering and oil forks maybe and also a more modern rear shock. Impressive .
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:16 AM
www.motounoacinque.it
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Wow beautiful bike!!!!!
giakomo65 is online now Find More Posts by giakomo65
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:07 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
I like that frame - looks brilliant!

Agree with Johnny, you want a Wheeliebar!
Place for ESCs:
Left side above the motor, on the main frame looks good. If you go Brushed, try to source a small High-End ESC, like an Robitronic iCube. They are pretty small, but very powerful.
Gyro-ESC is typically small, might fit on the right side above the spur gear.
Servo Tester should be somewhere you can reach it easily (or connect it to your 3rd channel on the RX, and control the gyro speed from the TX.)
Receiver somewhere on the top..

What batteries do you want to use, and where do they fit?

Regarding tires: Get it running first, and then think about how to remove slop in the Fork, or fitting different tires. The steering system works, if your springs are ok (hard enough).
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:13 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
164 Posts
Very cool project. Congrats to your success. One thing to add. On the last page you talked about a KERS effect. Actually the answer is yes it can do so. I have a very similar self made system working in the wheel of my modified QRF bike. If the gyro runs at 80% and I pull off the plug from the main battery, I can steer like 15 seconds just from the power generated by the flywheel. It is really amazing...

BRs
Peter
Bastelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:52 PM
Espaa, CL, vila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
@Dave

Yep, I plan to use a servo tester to drive the 20A airplane esc that controls the E-gyro at the very first tests.

@Johnny

About wheelie bars, Im designing a rear wheel brake system that will look like the small slider Sideways bikes feature behind rear wheel. As soon this slider touches the ground, it will push a shock damper installed in a lever that would control a disc caliper.

The system will act same way as "we all" do with our real scale bikes. As soon wheelie becomes excesive, "we all" press rear brake to reduce power going to the rear wheel....

Youll be able to control wheelie action by changing that shock spring rate or preload.

This design is at the very first stages of developement yet, so no pics or 3D drawings can be seen by this date.

About side crash bars, only rear mount is displayed at the pics, right over main spur gear. Front mount will find its place at the final battery box (the yellow fiberglass one is just a prototype, final one will be graphite...)

@Throttle and Chktm

Im so curious about the MM wheels and tyres. Would you please explain the differences between those and the ARX/Quanum rear wheel I fitted on the bike?

@Gartzen

Ive designed this bike to use saddle lipo packs, or ARX/Quanum lipo bricks.

@Peter.

Thanks for the confirmation the KERS idea will work. You said you unplug gyro battery and get decent handling for about 15 seconds or so.

Just guess how a 3rd channel brake mixxed esc will work. As soon as you apply brakes to enter the slowest track section, the gyro will rev up and get the desired handling there. Enter the main straight or fast curves and gyro wont take any power from main battery and will spin at a constant speed in order not to transfer any reaction to the front wheel.

Thank you all for your compliments and ideas.

Cesar, from Spain.

@Jonathan.

No way to be there. And I think I need another two months or so to complete it.... And a Lotto...

Thanks again.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,784 Posts
Foam inserts with big bore 16mm shock and oil forks in front will give best options for rough terrain. Inserts help soak up the bumps.

The rear wheelie bar brake idea sounds cool and interesting but complicated. Not complicated for you to make as you are good but makes for more parts. A smooth motor and throttle control with simple bar would be first choice to keep simple. Bikes tumble forward and backward and that rear fender will be destroyed very quickly without protection. Just my opinion not sure what your intentions are in that regard.

By the way, how do you go about designing your parts. Do you draw scale parts on paper first, then transfer information to your 3d program to figure out? What 3d program do you use or recommend that is not very expensive? Thank you.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post
@Dave

Yep, I plan to use a servo tester to drive the 20A airplane esc that controls the E-gyro at the very first tests.

@Johnny

About wheelie bars, Im designing a rear wheel brake system that will look like the small slider Sideways bikes feature behind rear wheel. As soon this slider touches the ground, it will push a shock damper installed in a lever that would control a disc caliper.

The system will act same way as "we all" do with our real scale bikes. As soon wheelie becomes excesive, "we all" press rear brake to reduce power going to the rear wheel....

Youll be able to control wheelie action by changing that shock spring rate or preload.

This design is at the very first stages of developement yet, so no pics or 3D drawings can be seen by this date.

About side crash bars, only rear mount is displayed at the pics, right over main spur gear. Front mount will find its place at the final battery box (the yellow fiberglass one is just a prototype, final one will be graphite...)

@Throttle and Chktm

Im so curious about the MM wheels and tyres. Would you please explain the differences between those and the ARX/Quanum rear wheel I fitted on the bike?

@Gartzen

@Peter.

Thanks for the confirmation the KERS idea will work. You said you unplug gyro battery and get decent handling for about 15 seconds or so.

Just guess how a 3rd channel brake mixxed esc will work. As soon as you apply brakes to enter the slowest track section, the gyro will rev up and get the desired handling there. Enter the main straight or fast curves and gyro wont take any power from main battery and will spin at a constant speed in order not to transfer any reaction to the front wheel.

Cesar, from Spain.

@Jonathan.

No way to be there. And I think I need another two months or so to complete it.... And a Lotto...

Thanks again.
Hey Cesar the MM rims and tyres are slightly larger diameter meaning better rough track handling. The rims are beadlock requiring no glueing. The rear tyre is more rounded and more scale looking being thinner. Best of all the tyres are a good tread pattern and soft compound which work great on hardpacked slippery dirt as well as loamy stuff and you don't have to make them. They also have inserts inside the tyres meaning the handling over rough rocky ground is also great. If you want to try some maybe go for the VMX rear rim if you use your own gyro as the wheel bearings on the MM rear rim uses different ones each side. The VMX uses the same ones. Can't wait to see it up and running .
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:12 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post
@Dave

@Johnny

@Throttle and Chktm

@Gartzen

@Peter.

Cesar, from Spain.

@Jonathan.

Thanks again.
I just know from struggling to get the arx to run on dirt with arx or quanum tyres for the last couple of years that they have no traction on dirt, i then got my vmx & find the traction is amazing, you may think i am bashing the arx but i am not i love my arx i am just telling it like i see it i don't sugar coat anything & i love your design & would like to see your bike work right the first time for you & not have to redesign it a second time to fit the mm450 wheels & tyres & even the steering & oil filled forks, for instance if your swing arm is the same length as the arx it will have to be lengthened to fit the mm450 wheels & tyres as they are a larger diameter.
Love that chassis design.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
Espaa, CL, vila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post

... By the way, how do you go about designing your parts. Do you draw scale parts on paper first, then transfer information to your 3d program to figure out? What 3d program do you use or recommend that is not very expensive? Thank you.
I always use my computer, even for first drafts.

Ive downloaded EmachineShop free software that makes designing new parts so easy. You can draw just like on paper (even complicated boundary lines that program will group), adjust material thickness and then go with the machining (bend, mill, drill) process.

Once part have been finished, you can get a 3D view and fly around to check every corner. Next step can be online ordering (expensive, but you receive a completely finished part), or export to DXF files that can be sent to other waterjet cutting/CNC milling companies.

Once at home I can mill bearing holders and some slots/lightening windows with my own Proxxon system.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:31 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,784 Posts
Never heard of that program / system. Nice info! Another question, sorry: so what do you do when you decided to 3d print like at shapeways in plastic/nylon, or do you still use emachinshop? (Your 1/8 bike had some interesting wheels which I thought you mentioned shapeways.) Are you just exporting the dxf from emachineshop and file is allowed file import for shapeways? Ive looked at a free program for 3d printing called autodesk 123d maybe a year ago and seemed pretty cool and free, but that was just 3d printing, not like emachineshop.