HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 04:59 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
Idea
new 1/4 motocross design from Spain

Hi.

I have almost completed the design/manufacture of several of the parts of my new proyect, a 1/4 motocross bike called CSC-MX1...

In this new design you can find some of the unique features previously seen in other of my prototypes, like the on road nitro CSC-EX1:

Solid spine chassis and rear belcrank suspension system... Other special features include integrated servo (inside the spine), clamp style motor mount and brushless gyro with fully adjustable rotation speed from the 3rd channel of the radio system. Steering system was showed a lot of time ago on a Ricky post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000971

Iīll show you some real pics in few days, but at this time I can post some 3D images of the complete bike just the way itīs supposed to look when completely built...

And thank you Dave for the help to complete this bike.

More info soon.

Cesar
trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jul 20, 2010 at 06:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm not totally useless..
Drunen. NL
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Very nice! Looking good! Cant'wait to see the real thing.

Strange thing is, when I was playing with my ARX last week, I had some trouble getting the rear shock to work right. So I was thinking of using a longer shock and make a link system to cope with the longer travel. And now I see your bike with a "similar" system! Got a Deja Vu feeling, LOL

Now go back to your workshop and finish the bike
radical ron is offline Find More Posts by radical ron
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:44 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Looks really good!

A few things that come to my mind:
- Where to place ESC and Receiver?
- Where do you mount the body?
- Without a wheelie bar, you will destroy the body very quick.

But I'm sure you already thought about that :-)

It's always nice to see new bikes!
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:06 AM
Ninja Fanatic
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2007
297 Posts
Looks good can't wait to see it built.
Is that drawn is Solidworks?
Jayson is offline Find More Posts by Jayson
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:06 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
Thank you all for the compliments/ideas about this proyect...

Gartenz... you asked about the placement for ESC and Rx. Just take a look at the new pic to realize how they will be mounted.

The spine is just 20mm thick and the saddle lipo battery goes up to 54mm, so I needed to install 6 20mm spacers and 2 60mm links to complete battery "box".

Thereīs a lot of room over the battery to place the Rx (right side of the spine, double side taped to the servo...) and ESC (left side, taped to the servo too and keeping power wires as short as possible...).

Front body post will be threaded just in front of upper shock mount, rear post needs a frame (as youīve realized...) itīs not designed yet. Of course, the frame will include any kind of protection for the rear fender (I like the nylon system somebody installed on a DX450 and displayed in this forum...)

Jayson, these shots of the bike were taken out from Autocad 14. My current computer canīt manage the SolidWorks needs...

Ron, this is a close look at the rear suspension setup I designed for my bike. The short link with four swingarm mounting holes offers the chance to change suspension rate curves.

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:54 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Cant wait to see more!

So, are you using parts like gyro, wheels/tires, shocks, body/rider, from other bikes or making them from scratch? Arx or Ricky?

Did you pick the Ricky steering because that is what you know about? I dont understand why that over real mx bike steering.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider integrating front brakes! If so, wouldnt that require 3rd channel, which is now used for gyro control?
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:03 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Cant wait to see more!

So, are you using parts like gyro, wheels/tires, shocks, body/rider, from other bikes or making them from scratch? Arx or Ricky?

Did you pick the Ricky steering because that is what you know about? I dont understand why that over real mx bike steering.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider integrating front brakes! If so, wouldnt that require 3rd channel, which is now used for gyro control?
Commercial parts are:

Complete front end, front fender and rider (Ricky)

Rear wheel halves and steering belcranks (ARX)

Rear tyre (Proline Badlands)

Rear shock (Traxxas Revo GTR)

All other parts that you may see at the pic will be scratch built, even bike body (no pics yet...)

About steering. Rc motocross bikes use any of the two proven steering designs. Bellcrank system (Ricky, ARX, Quanum) or advanced pivot shaft direct steering (Duratrax, Anderson, Venom and all on road bikes). I have chosen the first one because I think itīll work well in addition to my "Y" servo arm steering setup.

And about front brakes. My current radio doesnīt offer brake mixing so , if finally fitted to the front wheel, Iīll operate it from the 2nd channel.

Thanks.
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:13 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
More pics...

The chassis just the way it looked once arrived from Cortenfrio.com, the guys that cut almost everything with a powerful water jet...

The black block (from 2001 Space Odyssey...) is the 6mm thick carbon sheet that I have to cut to make the front bellcranks support plates.

And the swingarm, cut the same way and then sent to a machinist to drill bearing holes.

Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:24 AM
Bryson Ca.
Joined Feb 2010
53 Posts
WOW!!! Keep up the GOOD work!!! Rich.
nano cup is offline Find More Posts by nano cup
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:39 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
Hereīs a close shot at the brushless gyro flywheel...

Aluminium custom designed to fit over a 1500Kv motor. Itīs total weight is about 200gr and spins on 14x8x4 bearings.

Rear wheel shaft has been enlarged to 10mm dia in order to allow the cutting of three slots to take motor wires out of the wheel through inner bearing bore. Rear bearing sizes were 15x10x4mm then.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:02 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
Hi guys.

Just the way Johnny said a lot of time ago, Iīve set aside my road bikes and found time to rescue this old proyect.

I bought a complete mill system and start cutting the swingarm. Iīve cut the rear axle windows, some lightening rails and bearing holes.

And I tried to realize how the bike will look once finished, Do you like it?

More pics soon.

Cesar.
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jun 03, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Wow! Very nice work! Keep us informed!
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:59 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
I didnt forget this project Cesar. I wanted to ask you status when you posted your nitro road bike, but I didnt. Is it worth making your own egyro when you can get the arx system ready to go? Good luck!
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:41 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post

Is it worth making your own egyro when you can get the arx system ready to go?
Hi Johnny.

I think designing my own E-gyro is worth enough because of many new features you wonīt find on ARX unit.

The worst about the ARX system (itīs the way I think...) is the need of an insolated swingarm. One of swingarmīs legs provide battery positive and the other negative.... ARX E-gyro also feature fixed rpms while I can externally adjust mine from a servo tester (installed on the bike) or another esc linked to the Rx.

About this point, I plan to use one esc for main motor and another one (any "chinese" esc) for the E-gyro. I want any esc that needs a reverse channel setup that will be plugged on the 3rd channel of my M11.

Need to launch the gyro? Apply brakes from stop and hear the gyro spin to the desired rpms. You can program this by the Tx EPA or the program card.

Now would be the time to apply throttle and start to run the bike...

Advantages from a fixed rpm gyro? Mine wont drain any current on straights and will increase rpms when youīll need them, at curves. Apply brakes at the enter of the curve and the gyro will spin faster, and get all the power for main motor at the exit...

Iīm also studying its possible use as KERS. I need to check if a launched E-gyro would supply some current to recharge running battery when left free to spin.

Do you think these features are worth the waiting?

More pics of the "rescued" proyect:

Some lightening at swingarm core...

This is how it should look when finished

Stay tuned for more news from Spain....

Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:58 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
550 Posts
As promised, more news from the land of "paella".

Iīve continued the milling process at swingarm, completing the core lightening and adding a much beautiful shape to legs.

Letīs see these improvements...

You can see the machined part compared with a stock unit directly taken out from water jet machine.

Legs new profile,