Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:12 AM
Spy, Belgium
Joined Nov 2004
9 Posts
Discussion
Futaba T8FG and telemetry

Hi there,

I'm pretty convinced that all but a few Futaba 2.4GHz transmitters owners are wondering if telemetry will soon be available.

I've no doubt Futaba will come up with something exciting in the next coming months. Frankly, I was ready to swap my 8FG for a Multiplex featuring the M-Link....telemetry is great on those radios, but they are lacking a SD slot.

So, I'll to wait a bit more, UNLESS, someone here can confirm that the 8FG, for exemple, will never be able to support bi-directionnal connectivity.

Are the current 2.4GHz HF modules from Futaba bi-directionnal?

Are the current 2.4GHz transmitter modules ALSO receivers ?

If yes, then it's worth waiting and cross finger that our current 2.4 GHz will be upgradable in order to support feedback from (yet to come) receivers.

Thank you for your input.
sana is offline Find More Posts by sana
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
Joined Nov 2009
39 Posts
Hi sana,
the T8FG IS already capable of bi-directional connectivity. It only needs a software upgrade. And I'm SURE that this upgrade WILL come as soon as Futaba has it's telemetry module on the market.

So stay tuned!

Chris
chris80 is offline Find More Posts by chris80
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:43 AM
Slovenia (odranci)
Joined Nov 2006
141 Posts
Yes you are right. 8FG and new 20FX is telemetry ready.

We with 12FG/30FX and 14MZ/40FX will have to send transmitters to service for telemetry upgrade. I just hope that this will be possible. I don't want to sell my 12FG, because i love it.

I don't know what is with Futaba 10.

They said that telemetry will be out this year. All i need is Lipo voltage and maybe altitude meter.
skorp_jon is offline Find More Posts by skorp_jon
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:00 AM
Spy, Belgium
Joined Nov 2004
9 Posts
Thanks for your input.

You seem pretty well aware of future Futaba developments...

Could you say a bit more about what you know ?

I would be highly interested in altimeter and speed meter (GPS or Pitot tube based).

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts

What?!

So are you guys saying there is a built in telemetry "receiver" inside my 8FG that I haven't even known about all along?

Quote:
the T8FG IS already capable of bi-directional connectivity. It only needs a software upgrade.
Quote:
Yes you are right. 8FG and new 20FX is telemetry ready.
Quote:
They said that telemetry will be out this year.
Where are you getting this information?

This is shocking news to me. I think I need more confirmation and clarification on this too.

Stay tuned indeed!

Telemetry features I would most likely potentially use: Rx pack and/or LiPo voltage and amp/milliamp-hours (basically a wattmeter with capacity info), signal integrity/strength, and GPS. Of course, as it is now and if I really wanted to, I could just use a third party solution, but having these optionally integrated into the radio would be nice.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:45 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Altimeter anyone
That's the one telemetry feature I'd really want
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:09 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but I think I'd be able to make do with GPS altitude measurements, maybe...

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 19, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,270 Posts
To have telemetry you need first have telemetry enabled receivers. Where are these?
Yes, there is a telemetry solution coming, but not from Futaba.
FrSky has "leaked" about one month ago on their site a Futaba Fasst compatible line of receivers coming. Compatible, not clones
And because FrSky is the only company offering also an open source telemetry system, guess what's the next step? Telemetry modules, of course ! I mean telemetry enabled modules that "talks" Fasst, because FrSky is alredy in the market with their own module based two-way system, that any Futaba module based owner can adopt instantly.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jul 20, 2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:23 AM
Spy, Belgium
Joined Nov 2004
9 Posts
Hi,

Obviously, we need telemetry-capable receivers, for sure.

But the FrSky solution you are referring to will require the use of an extra module on the transmitter itself right ?

If not, could you elaborate a bit, or provide us with a few links.

Thanks,

Sana
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:21 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Always good to have more options, but I'm afraid this is rather unrelated to the 8FG in particular...

What I want to know is how these guys are so sure that the 8FG has built in telemetry capability that can be made usable through a software update.
Last edited by Wrend; Jul 20, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:28 AM
Spy, Belgium
Joined Nov 2004
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
Always good to have more options, but I'm afraid this is rather unrelated to the 8FG in particular...

What I want to know is how these guys are so sure that the 8FG has potentially usable built in telemetry.
I totally agree with you Wrend. What I would like to see is something 'integrated' from the manufacturer. Like Multiplex and Hitec do already.

The only point here is to know if the latest 2.4GHz Futaba radios (and 8FG in particular) have bi-directionnal capability (which is what's required to get some feedback from receivers).

Sana
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sana View Post
Hi,

Obviously, we need telemetry-capable receivers, for sure.

But the FrSky solution you are referring to will require the use of an extra module on the transmitter itself right ?

If not, could you elaborate a bit, or provide us with a few links.

Thanks,

Sana
Yes, you are right, the module on your Futaba radio must be a telemetry enabled model.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
Joined Nov 2009
39 Posts
This information comes from an "involved" person. The chipset used in the T8FG is capable of using bi-directional communication. But the only way to 100% confirm this fact will be to wait for the upcoming telemetry thingy.
For my part, I trust the "source" where this information is coming from and I would be very surprised if this information isn't true.
chris80 is offline Find More Posts by chris80
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:48 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris80 View Post
This information comes from an "involved" person. The chipset used in the T8FG is capable of using bi-directional communication. But the only way to 100% confirm this fact will be to wait for the upcoming telemetry thingy.
For my part, I trust the "source" where this information is coming from and I would be very surprised if this information isn't true.
Any updates?

Have you lads considered the Jeti duplex range? yes you need to add a display to your unit but it seems quite good.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:09 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Hadsten
Joined Jul 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorp_jon View Post
They said that telemetry will be out this year.
Any news?

According to the T8FG manual "the T8FG transmitter will begin emitting RF automatically after it confirms the surrounding RF conditions.". Does anybody know what this means and whether it may fail this check? It does seem to indicate some receive capability.

Does any of the current receivers (e.g. the R6108SB) include telemetry capability?
Tomve is offline Find More Posts by Tomve