HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:15 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,397 Posts
Discussion
Should I try high Timing on a Eflite 480?

Im have a new Hobbywing Pentium 40A and a new Eflite 480. The default timing is low. Medium is for motors with 6 or more poles and there is no good explanation for high timing.

The Eflite 480 has 12 poles. I put it on the wattmeter on low timing....Im getting 276 Watts with a 12X6 APCE prop.

I put it on medium timing and am getting 340 Watts with the same setup.

Ive never changed the timing before on any other setup I have...it looks like Im missing out on some extra HP. What is high timing for and am I doing anything wrong leaving it at medium timing?
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,300 Posts
You may be missing out on a little EXTRA HP but it comes at a cost of heat and battery performance.

Higher TIMING higher motor heat and less battery performance or flight time.

If you have a watt meter then you can check your amp draw at HIGH and if your still within the ESC specs and the motor temps are also in specs then whats left is to make sure you are not over amping your pack and your flight times are where or what you want.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:42 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,256 Posts
Here is an article that I wrote on timing a while back:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/timing/timing.htm
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:46 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Im have a new Hobbywing Pentium 40A and a new Eflite 480. The default timing is low. Medium is for motors with 6 or more poles and there is no good explanation for high timing.

The Eflite 480 has 12 poles. I put it on the wattmeter on low timing....Im getting 276 Watts with a 12X6 APCE prop.

I put it on medium timing and am getting 340 Watts with the same setup.

Ive never changed the timing before on any other setup I have...it looks like Im missing out on some extra HP. What is high timing for and am I doing anything wrong leaving it at medium timing?
What you are measuring is input power, not output power. Now I would expect that you are getting more out of the motor, but how much I don't know. I suspect a (lot) less than than the extra 64 watts you are putting in.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,397 Posts
I appreciate the responses. This setup is going into a Eflite Extra 260. Ill fly it at medium timing...note the time I flew, hotness of the motor, and how much I put back in the battery....then Ill do the same with low timing.
Ill have the plane airborne within a week and post the results here. I read the article Ken. Thats a good explanation of timing
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member