Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:03 PM
crashing is how I learn....
Long Reef, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
25 Posts
Discussion
FrSky 2.4Ghz - Telemetry PDA application

Hi

I just wanted to see if others had parallel thoughts to myself regarding not re inventing the wheel for a Telemetry display at the TX end of things but using off the shelf consumer products for this task.
I had a quick look around for what would provide a useful screen area in colour and interface with the Telemetry module @4800baud. The other criteria was speed along with a programming language I could understand (basic) and of course - Cheap!!!

The contenders are:
1. Gameboy Advance & Advance SP
ARM 32 bit cpu (powerful), 320x240 resolution colour lcd
Interface- link port @9600baud so a PIC bitbanger will be needed to convert to 4800 baud.
Language is DragonBasic, though a flash cart will be needed to hold application
Cost $50-70 USD on ebay 2nd hand + PIC + app cart

2. Windows Mobile PDA or Phone
ARM 32 bit cpu (powerful) 320x240, VGA 640x480 & WVGA 800x480 (kewl!)
Wireless Interface- Bluetooth to TTL board. $20 on ebay (eg BC4_Blue2.0, search for TTL bluetooth module)
Language- either VBasic .NET or my preferred Basic4ppc
Cost $50-100 USD on ebay 2nd hand + Bluetooth module
models - toshiba e805 or 830, del x50v/x51v, hp 4700 or many others

The PDA route is my first choice over GBA because it is a more polished dev platform (eg things like voice synthesis is easy). The only downside to PDAs is battery life but that can be fixed with a well sized lipo

I am building the PDA app now. Its for Win CE4.2 or above. Very early days so its not functional yet. Happy to share.

your thoughts, ideas and inputs?
Mybrains is offline Find More Posts by Mybrains
Last edited by Mybrains; Jul 18, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,677 Posts
Hi Mybrains,

I think there should be a few guys interested in PDA's with the FrSky telemetry modules. GPS in the model is an easy way to get a big bag of info downstairs too. I think there was some guys talking about PDA usage for the two-way units in the older FrSky threads, maybe they will pop in here and say hello.

Why don't you post up the PDA app or a screen shot for us to see. If you are happy to share the app (can't see why not) then you might get some quick feedback from the guys who just received the new Two-Way system modules in the last week or so and can bench test it.

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:30 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,419 Posts
I already started a PDA application, will post a real picture soon in other thread, you can see the initial mockup here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=94
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:44 AM
Joined Dec 2004
25 Posts
Looks great Renato!

We are on a similar mission. I am using BAsic4ppc rather than VS2005. both use .net 2.0 runtime. Im targeting older WinCE 4.2 devices though it should run on later ones.
The target interface is my e805 Tosiba PDA (VGA screen) so im designing for 640x480. I might do a lower res version of the forms as well for 320x240 users.
The only other two thing im adding to the interface is big touch buttons like iphone/Android as I hate that nib, and voice output so you dont need to look at the PDA (you just listen). I recorded a bunch of .wav files today to stick in the app.

Re connectivity to the TX. Jump on ebay and search for "bluetooth TTL module". You will find a few tiny class 2 modules for $15USD!. I have one on order now. This way we can go wireless from TX to PDA.
I attached the spec for them below 4 everybody
Last edited by Mybrains; Jul 19, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:54 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,419 Posts
Me too I am using an old device, an ipaq2200, 4years old at least, PocketPC 2003 (WinCE4.2), not even SE, I would love to have orientation built in hardware...
I think is good to stuck on these old devices, they are cheap to find used on eBay, and people can be more appealed to jump in, instead plain text LCD solutions.

Thanks for BT tip, I already own one for tests, but is a valuable info.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,419 Posts
Voila...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:33 PM
Joined Dec 2004
25 Posts
looks great !

Renato, that looks like you have got into the PDA through the usb/docking connector. Was there a serial link in there or is it just for power?
If its just power, did you end up using the bluetooth to serial module and do you have a photo of that combination?

I will post up a mock up of the Gameboy SP idea I also had. It may be an option for people that want the cheapest interface (and can borrow a GBA off their children
The idea here is to put the GBA's main circuit board inside the TX if the cable between screen and PCB allows this of course (it may be a short ribbon). Very neat and almost factory look.
Last edited by Mybrains; Jul 20, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:25 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,419 Posts
Before investing too much time in app UI and prerequisites, try the serial communication.
The first attempts are not so satisfactory.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined Dec 2004
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Before investing too much time in app UI and prerequisites, try the serial communication.
The first attempts are not so satisfactory.
you are so right!.
Parsing the frames is a challenge. It sounds so easy, but isnt. I have connected to the telemetry module ok @9600 and get data. I am measuring the speed @160 chrs a second average.

my routine sucks in the comms buffer then scans through for the header chr (254) once found, it looks for the footer 5 chrs (0,0,0,0,254). If found it lifts out the whole 11byte frame to be used. Is this how you did yours?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,419 Posts
I consider the footer only the final 0xFE (254), because the four zero could be user data in the 0xFD packet.

But not this is the issue... I mean data coming from receiver, i.e. a possible GPS. Seems almost impossible to get a complete NMEA sequence, must lower the transmission rate much lower than you expected, and filter the sentences to RMC and GGA only, if you have a smart MTK GPS, with such filtering embedded. Else you need a processing unit airborne, to filter and parse NMEA data and send down only the essential info, in small chunks.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2004
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I consider the footer only the final 0xFE (254), because the four zero could be user data in the 0xFD packet.

But not this is the issue... I mean data coming from receiver, i.e. a possible GPS. Seems almost impossible to get a complete NMEA sequence, must lower the transmission rate much lower than you expected, and filter the sentences to RMC and GGA only, if you have a smart MTK GPS, with such filtering embedded. Else you need a processing unit airborne, to filter and parse NMEA data and send down only the essential info, in small chunks.
oh that. yeah, that. I have always looked at this project that the telemetry channel was 'just' for raw data. Software at each end will be needed to encode/decode what is in this data. At the TX end it is easy to decode with the PDA. At the RX end you need a PIC or similar MPU to drive the GPS with NMEA commands, and just pass the results back to the PDA. This is the next project . I have been told Bruce is already making this on his website btw, so maybe we have a look there rather than building a new one?
Last edited by Mybrains; Jul 23, 2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined May 2009
95 Posts
I think a tom tom etc, could be a nice platform also, color touch screen, sound speaker and likely serial port available to read gps.

Units are also relatively cheap available.
fernandez is offline Find More Posts by fernandez
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:51 PM
Joined Dec 2004
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandez View Post
I think a tom tom etc, could be a nice platform also, color touch screen, sound speaker and likely serial port available to read gps.

Units are also relatively cheap available.

Thats very true. I found a whole lot of cheap Win CE GPS devices on Deal Extreme starting at a low $60USD. Some even have bluetooth. I wonder if the gps could be extracted for the plane and its serial port used?
http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx...h.windows%20CE
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Where i can find FrSky Pda software

i need to know if it's possible to download a FrSky telemetry and/or configuration software for Ipaq h2210 without start to write another one myself.
digio2 is offline Find More Posts by digio2
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Just got a Frsky telementry setup and would like it to do more than beep at me for RSSI. Still haven't seen much regarding ground stations/ displays for the thing. Has anyone considered a connection to an Android phone? I have a tmobile G2 that I'd love to hook up to my tx.
rnshagam is offline Find More Posts by rnshagam