HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:05 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
GWS P-51 brushless video

Good day all

For everyone who has been tempted to upgrade there great flying GWS plane with a brushless; I have a short video on the website that shows the Stang (P-51) with the MPjet 25/35 upgrade.

As GWS4CEO has stated several times, us americans can never have too much power!!

The MPjet is a good upgrade at a moderate cost. As you can see in the video its a very good match. The motor and gearbox combo is a good "next step" from the stock set up.

Im at the stick and not the best pilot, but I think you can see a bit of the power upgrade. Most of the flight was at between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. The Stang handles it very well.

http://www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm

Jeff "Splash" Small
www.e-flightline.com
Splash is offline Find More Posts by Splash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2003, 07:17 AM
England
Joined Apr 2002
240 Posts
Nice video..these planes fly so nice..mine is stock and i love the sound it makes as it comes by .... its only the landings im still struggling on...!
jeddy11 is offline Find More Posts by jeddy11
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:11 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Morning Jeddy,

Landing are no problem for me as you can see the grass where I do most of my test flying is very High

I have all the GWS warbirds and love them all. I dont seem to have the same tip stall problems that everyone else is having. I guess I must just land hot as a general rule.

I have had the landing gear on and it didnt seem to tip either. With the MPjet im swinging a 8x6 so I was able to shorten the landing gear a bit and it make a great deal of difference. The gear is must more steady.

Thanks for coming by and visiting.

Splash
www.e-flightline.com
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:42 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Very nice Splash! Looks quite speedy. What kind of run times are you getting on the li-poly setup?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:45 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
When you wear out your standard EM300, you may try to use EM350 before go to brushless.

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...em/eps350c.htm
R/C Groups Discussion > E Zone Forums > Power Systems > Gws Eps-350c
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=eps350

Trust me, you can make it!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Last edited by GWS4CEO; Jun 23, 2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:49 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Thanks Tres,

Yep, its pretty speedy. I have the shakes the whole time its in the air still (after about 12 flights)

The nice thing about videoing the flight is you get an accurate flight time. This flight was 6min 34sec and the pack took 543mah. I have done some flights until the plane speed is noticably slower and they were around 15 minutes, but still only took 1400 mah

I really like the Lipo's I just wish I could get some for the store. It hard to find a wholesaler for them.

Have a great one
Splash
www.e-flightline.com
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:01 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear Splash, what gear ratio and prop ?

Looks very powerful. Becareful the wing may be need carbone stick to make her stronger!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:17 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Good morning Sir

It has a 5:1 gear ratio and is swinging a APC 8x6. From what I can tell the wings are looking good just with the stock wood stick. I have about a dozen flight on the stang and have had it in some power dives with pretty harsh pull outs and she is doing fine.

I would like to try the new motors, but I cant seem to get any. Sorry to complain again, but its still hard for me to get stuff.

Have you checked out the whole site yet.? I would be interested in any comments you have.

Splash
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:23 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I have the shakes the whole time its in the air still==

LOL! I know that feeling! I've been flying a CVS Switchblade and recently put an Aveox in it on 3x1200 ETs. YES! I was having a great time until the cells overheated and the LVC kicked in. Dead sticking a plane like that is interesting! Got the adrenaline going! I took it home and cut a big cooling slot in it

==I have done some flights until the plane speed is noticably slower and they were around 15 minutes==

You'd probably get 4 minutes off of 600 ae's, so that's pretty good flight time. Do you know what your amp draw is? I like the way it looks in the air, quite scale-like at those speeds! A P-51 just doesn't look right loafing around
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:34 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Your right about the loafing 51 just doesnt look right. I definetly know how you must have felt when the switchblade went deadstick..... The heart just gets pumpin

I have the amp draw but I believe its pretty low. Im using a Phoenix and 10 and have had no problems. But again I do most of my flying no more then 3/4 throttle and the pack is only warm when Im done.

I have tried a bunch of different combo's with the MPjets and 8x6 seems to be the best for the 25-35

Splash
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:32 AM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Cool idea with the prebuilt GWS planes... Time being so tight I may have to give ya a try sometime...

Hank
Hankstone is offline Find More Posts by Hankstone
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:36 AM
san francisco, ca
Joined Feb 2002
269 Posts
hey splash, i am interested in your prebuilt GWS plane, just wondering how do you ship them? and do you put in any known mods to those planes??

thanks. i might get the BN2 from you if you carry them later
katana1211 is offline Find More Posts by katana1211
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:41 AM
In need of a new name...
Clarkston, MI
Joined Dec 2002
429 Posts
Thats a heck of a launch...

I liked that running throw, looked like you could launch a jet.

Was it extreme overkill for the GWS model, or do they take a stiff push off to keep them from stalling or rolling???
ShamelessMale is offline Find More Posts by ShamelessMale
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:43 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Hank and Katana

I do do a couple of upgrade builds when putting them together too. I use 1/2 if CA hinge and use mini EZ connectors for all the push rods. The standard build is Alerons and Elevator, but we can put Rudder in there too if you need it.

Shipping at this point is back in the original GWS box with modifications to the tail end of the box. We are actually going to look into a new method today. Ill let you know how it comes out.

We will carry the BN2 for sure.

Splash
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:45 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Shameless,

it is extremely overkill, but I from the school of better safe then sorry. I could probibly stand still give it full throttle and just let go, but Im not that good of a pilot.