HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:30 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
Is it time to give up on this plane?

I have a nike that I have simply destroyed. Repeatedly. I have folded the wing, destroyed the nose, added a different wing mount, and most recently snapped the tail section off. I have repaired all damages, and I am now waiting for the epoxy to dry on the latest repair.

Will/does the Nike fly? Yes it does, but it is starting to look like frankenstein. I have a second nike, but I haven't flown it because the first Nike still flies; but I think the time to fly the second Nike is nearing...

Anyway, let me know when/if you guys give up on planes that still fly...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Last edited by soholingo; Jun 23, 2003 at 12:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:16 AM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
If I can't repair a plane to near perfect condition I'll retire it.

Mario
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:53 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,297 Posts
Jay

I've had planes that are buggered-up and repaired. Even though they still fly, you just don't feel as good about taking them to the field anymore.

Your first Nike has served its purpose. Time to get out the new one. You'll feel better about flying it, and it will in all liklihood fly/handle better than the repaired one. You'll be proud of it. You can always keep the old one around for those more daring moments.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:16 AM
Austria [Europe, no Kangaroos ;-) ]
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
I like my planes with a history of crashes and repairs. Gives them some kind of personality . But when it doesn't fly nicly any more, due to the added weight or changed aerodynamic, it is time to say good-bye .
Erich Preitler is offline Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
Old Jun 23, 2003, 07:40 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
The odd thing is the repaired Nike has flown BETTER with each repair. It is not in Near Perfect condition, my repair skills are not that good yet.

Like Al P said, the nike has been a great mule, and it has served it's purpose very well. I will see how this last repair goes, and then take out Nike 2.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:36 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,861 Posts
I keep flying them until they no longer perform up to my expectations. One good thing about flying a beat-up plane is that if I wreck it (again) it is no big deal.
Also I have no emotional attachment to it and will push it to the edge (or beyond) of my flying skills.

If I get bored with it or it just wont fly up to par, I'll retire the airframe and sell it usually for about 50% or so what I have in it. When I do decide to retire a plane that I like, I will:
1) Buy a new one just like it (I'm on my 3rd Hawk, ready for a 4th....my only parkflyer)
2) Upgrade to another plane
3) Both

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:47 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,058 Posts
Jay, I've yet to be in that position . However if you are still needing 'epoxy' I'd probably stick with the 'old' one yet . On the other hand, if it's the previous fixes that are causing the new 'fixups' then time to move on to the newer plane IMO....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,207 Posts
My original SIG NINJA is on its second wing, fifth fuselage, third set of tails... and keeps flying!
Can't keep an old flyable bird down!
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:39 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky Paul
My original SIG NINJA is on its second wing, fifth fuselage, third set of tails... and keeps flying!
Can't keep an old flyable bird down!
May have to question if it's still the original?
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:54 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rclark
Jay, I've yet to be in that position . However if you are still needing 'epoxy' I'd probably stick with the 'old' one yet . On the other hand, if it's the previous fixes that are causing the new 'fixups' then time to move on to the newer plane IMO....
Most of my damage has come from the failures in the plane itself. The Nike is touted as a hotliner, and it is, BUT only after my reinforcements/repairs. For instance, I have never crashed the plane due to pilot error.

The wing folded so I glassed that, not problem.

The wooden hold down dowel broke several time just in the course of flying, replaced that with a glassed bolt hold down.

The tail broke on landing due to insuficent strength (either due to my putting a switch on the tail or due to the past repairs)

I would not fly my second nike (or any hotliner) w/o making the same structural reinforcements. That said, the plane continues to improve with each repair. It flies faster and floats better. It flies truer (no more porpoising).

I will post pics of the repair later tonight...
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:47 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,861 Posts
Nice tips on the NIKE. This plane is on my short list. I bet a thread dedicated to NIKE mods might be of interest.

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:01 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
pullin,

I was thinking of doing that. I am in the unique position of having the two of the older one piece wing models, and a third two piece wing. Like I said this is a great flying plane, that could be an exceptional plane if they took care of the little things. I have looked at F5b's and see where the enhancemnts have helped the plane out.

by the way you could see how it flies, just let me know where you fly and we can meet up....

Jay
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:01 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sloper Mario
If I can't repair a plane to near perfect condition I'll retire it.

Mario
Mario:

If I remember correctly, don't you "retire" them into concrete walls? BTW, that was a hilarious video.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:04 PM
ZippoGeek
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2002
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daveWCO
Mario:

If I remember correctly, don't you "retire" them into concrete walls? BTW, that was a hilarious video.

daveWCO
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -- POST IT AGAIN! THIS I GOTTA SEE!

Jason
zippogeek is offline Find More Posts by zippogeek
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:33 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Re: Is it time to give up on this plane?

Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo

Anyway, let me know when/if you guys give up on planes that still fly...

Jay
Jay:

That's a tough call. I look at my planes as tools. As they wear out, the closer to the dumpster they get. This is easy for me to say, as I don't own anything spectacular, but still....

Then there's the "plane has been sitting around for a long time - what should I do with it?" question. I think Sparky Paul had a mathematical formula for determining what should move to the trash bin.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO