Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:22 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
My First Wing The OverLord by Edge RC

Well I finished the OverLord will test flight Tuesday. It went well but the balance still seems to be off a little had to add almost 2 oz to the nose and it stills feels a little tail heavy. Unless I am not balancing it right. The instructions say between 7-7 1/4 inches from the nose. Looks like me and the OverLord has a date Tuesday.

Ron

http://www.edgerc.com/
S'portFlyer is offline Find More Posts by S'portFlyer
Last edited by S'portFlyer; Jun 22, 2003 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:23 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
by S'portFlyer
Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:28 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
by S'portFlyer
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:37 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
After emailing Justin I had the wrong instructions the center gravity is 7 1/2- 8 inches from the nose of the plane. Also I had the winglets upside down. Everything corrected I only needed .2 oz of weight in the nose.

S'portFlyer
Last edited by S'portFlyer; Jun 22, 2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:23 PM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined May 2002
365 Posts
Hey there, nice looking wing. Do you have experience with a zagi? If so how does this compair? Do you just have a sp 400 in it? Cant wait to hear how it goes!
seanpr123 is offline Find More Posts by seanpr123
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:25 PM
Joined Mar 2003
316 Posts
BEAUTIFUL WING S'port flyer! I love the color scheme. I hope everyhting goes well for you and please post up a flight report, I don't know how those fly!
Bob The Podder is offline Find More Posts by Bob The Podder
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:44 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
This is my first wing. I use to fly glow about 10 years ago. I had an ugly stick 40. The OverLord has a zagi ESC, Combatwing sp400 motor, zagi batteries 1700mah reconfigured for flat pack and using Hitec 81 servos. Cannot compare but I have seen Andy's fly but he has a brushless motor and from what I saw it out fles the zagi. But they were only using a sp400 motor. When I go out Tuesday to test fly ( or rather let someone else trim it for me I will ask them how it flys compared to a zagi.

S'portFlyer

Also been trying to figure out what colors to put on the winglets. I was thinking of blue with American flag on each.
Last edited by S'portFlyer; Jun 22, 2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2003
316 Posts
I would reccomend you put in a Mega 4 turn, It would fly great on that!
Bob The Podder is offline Find More Posts by Bob The Podder
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:00 AM
Veni, Vidi, Fragoris
Shreveport, LA
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Ron,

That wing looks GOOD! See you at the field on Tuesday, can't wait to see it fly.

Chris (the guy with the BOP)
djslack is offline Find More Posts by djslack
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:38 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
S'portflyer,

So, how did the first flight go? Come on, tell us

Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
Hi all:

Well djslack test flew it tonight we just had to set the elevons about 7 turns. and she flew straight. Then he took it up high and let me try to fly it. Well gravity works real well, but I did keep it up for a little while. Then I let another person that flys a zagi try it. And talking with him the only thing with the OverLord is when flying slow it does not glide as well as a zagi with power off, needs some power. But everything else it out flys the zagi. Then I practiced lauching for awhile then added power and quite a few launches I finally got it in the air and flew it around until I made a few mistakes and gravity took over. I then let djslack fly it and put it thru the test. If he post later maybe he can give you a better description of how it flew. My opinion it out flies the zagi and performed very well.

S'portFlyer
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:11 AM
Veni, Vidi, Fragoris
Shreveport, LA
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Last night's maiden

S'portflyer did a great job on putting this wing together and it looks every bit as good in person as it does in the pics above.

Last night's maiden went well. I would use as a basis of comparison my Combat Wing XE. The Overlord and CW share a lot of features: all EPP, steel motor mount, clean top wing surface with no canopy, and a thin profile airfoil that is more for speed than for gliding.

After trimming the elevons to level with the bottom of the wing, I gave a good toss and the Overlord floated across the field considerably farther than I expected it to, straight and level.

The first powered flight was very good. I let it pick up speed for a second and then pulled up and the Overlord gave I'd guess a 25-30 degree climb out without a problem, I got some altitude and trimming was a breeze. S'portflyer set this wing up with very gentle throws (top hole of the big nylon control horns) which was a wise decision for learning.

The only first flight problem was pitching up considerably under power. We brought it down and bent the motor mount back some (it was 90 degrees to start, mounted to the bottom wing. Bent so the motor was parallel to the top of the wing and it was about perfect).

Then S'portflyer put in some stick time like he said above, he impressed me for sure, as my first time flying a wing was an ugly sight. Within the one battery that we flew, we practiced lots of launching, first power off, then adding power, and before the battery even started getting weak he was putting the wing in the air and flying laps around the field with it. After he got pretty confident with it and then wanted to take a break, he asked me to put it up and see what it could do.

I had been really gentle with the wing before, just circling up to altitude and slowing it down. Now it was time for the fun stuff. The wind picked up from almost dead calm to probably 5 gusting to 10 right when I launched it, and our field is in between two hills. As I climbed over the edge of the windward hill the wind caught it and climb rate about doubled, while forward speed didn't suffer much. Even with the relatively small throws, this plane was responsive and deliberate. It did not wander (except a little weathervaning when flying crosswind from the winglets).

Inverted was impressive, just a little down to hold it and it went well—actually much better than I expected because my Combat Wing doesn't seem to like inverted very much. The Overlord, on the other hand, was on a 45 minute to an hour old battery pack (we spent lots of time throwing power off, though), and even though I didn't expect it, I was able to pull outside and over the top from a level (as far as I could tell, it was up pretty high and almost overhead) inverted pass.

Rolls were also crisp and responsive, I even tried a downwind 4 point roll with reasonably good looking results. As long as the speed is up, the Overlord will crank through almost knife-edge turns just as any good wing should. Similar to my CW, watch yourself maneuvering without power at slow speeds as it will fall off; but this isn't a glider anyway, you can tell just from looking at it it's bred for combat.

I can't wait for S'portflyer to get some stick time in and then (once he decides to risk his pretty tape job) join us for some combat to see whether it plays well with others .

If you're in the market for a 48" wing for combat and/or high speed fun, I think the Overlord is worth looking into. I was impressed with it (and I want to borrow its winglets to make some templates for myself, too).

Chris
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:37 AM
Veni, Vidi, Fragoris
Shreveport, LA
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seanpr123
Hey there, nice looking wing. Do you have experience with a zagi? If so how does this compair? Do you just have a sp 400 in it? Cant wait to hear how it goes!
Sean,

When I got my Combat Wing from Andy in Dallas and I tried to compare it to my Zagi, he wrote me back an email and told me something to the effect of not to even try to compare them, because they are totally different. I didn't believe him then but I have come to understand it, so I'll try to share what I have learned:

I was just discussing with S'portflyer and the guys out at our field last night. This is only my opinion but it sounds good to me: the Zagi started out as a glider, then some people added electric to it, and some people started doing combat with it, and combat wings were born. You can see the Zagi's glider heritage in its big round airfoil and the way it can just float around, but it's still very maneuverable.

Wings like the Overlord and Combat Wings XE/XE2 shortcut this lineage, they are built directly with electric combat in mind. All EPP with a thinner, sleeker airfoil and a recessed battery compartment, they are a whole different animal. While they look similar they really fly a bit differently. These types of wings almost beg for more power all the time, the faster they go the better they fly, and so I usually go full throttle almost the whole time I'm up. They don't float and hang around; they're going fast or they're coming down in search of more speed.

For instance, it's easy to catch a Zagi, come in power off and low, add a little up to bleed off speed, and flare it right to your hand. Bring one of these EPP birds in like that and you will stall it about 15 feet from you because you'll think it's going too fast to catch but they just don't want to slow down. You can catch it, but you just have to have nerves to fly it straight at yourself and make yourself grab the leading edge.

As far as combat is concerned comparing the two is like a hopped up Honda versus a Corvette; they are both fast but one was purpose built, where one came from a different lineage and was just put in there. Actually the metaphor extends beyond combat, they are both fun and lots of people like them both. I'd say, collect 'em all

Chris
Old Jun 25, 2003, 02:46 PM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
Thanks Chris for all your help.

Ron
Old Jun 28, 2003, 01:06 AM
Shreveport, LA
Joined Jun 2003
29 Posts
I took the OverLord out for the second flight...you would have thought I was an intermediate the way it flew. No more lauching 10 times before I could get it in the air. First throw it was in the air flew about 1/2 throttle. It really flies great. I had some gliches but think it is a bad xtal. I think I even got it inverted by accident.

GREAT PLANE JUSTIN!!!!

Ron