HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:21 PM
DisMember
Federal Way, WA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
TJ3D... (Wal-Mart Turbo Jet 2000 conversion)

TJ3D = Turbo Jet 2000 (3D conversion)

I'm trying to assess the feasibility of converting a Wal-Mart "Turbo Jet 2000" into a light-weight 3D foam plane with an IPS drive system (as used in other 24" 3D foam planes).

The fuselage is about 19" long and the wingspan is about 24.5".

My idea, as pictured in my 3rd post below, would be to bring the wing forward, and add ailerons. What do you think? Is this doable?

Here's a photo of the $1.97 "Turbo Jet 2000" kit parts from Wal-Mart:
ScottChase is offline Find More Posts by ScottChase
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:23 PM
DisMember
Federal Way, WA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
Here's a photo of the position of the wing as originally designed as a glider:
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:26 PM
DisMember
Federal Way, WA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
Here's an attempt to reposition the wing in a more traditional electric 3D position (with paper added to similate possible needed modifications):
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:02 PM
DisMember
Federal Way, WA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
Appoximate weight of parts:

0.77 oz -- fuselage
0.27 oz -- left wing
0.27 oz -- right wing
0.09 oz -- stabilizer/elevator
=====
1.40 oz -- Total kit weight
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:04 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Nice job. I have a friend who has converted a walmart 747 into a plane, it cost 4.00! Dont forget to strengthen tthe wing with something. Good luck.

Henry
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:36 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
I seem to recall a thread about someone else who had tried to convert this plane to r/c. They were not successful because the final weight was too heavy. You will have to increase the wing area and make this thing fly very fast to keep it up. The total wing area of this thing is about 1 sq. foot so you will have to keep the gross weight, with batteries to a maximum of 10 oz. If you think you can, go for it. Good luck!

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:44 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Looks interesting, Scott! If you get lucky, the forward plug you cut out for the new wing position will fill the old one

I wonder what effect the fat fuse will have?

Looks like the ailerons are almost doubling the wing area.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 08, 2003, 08:28 AM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
I have this exact plane sitting on my floor right now with epoxy drying, I expect to have it in the air in a few days. I just grabbed the gear I had handy. Two HS-55s for tailerons (if the response sucks Ill go to ailerons/elevator but I hope I dont have to), a S280 mounted on a pylon above the wing direct-drive to a very thin/light 4.5"x2(?) prop. Actual wing area is 74.25 square inches. AUW looks like it will be about 8.5oz with 8*270nimh. Thats about 17oz/sqft which is a lot higher than I would like. I will probably end up cutting the core of the foam fuselage out to save about half an ounce, as well as moving down to perhaps a 300-400ish mah lipoly pack. The other worry I have is the thrust line being so far off the center of mass, that pylon looks huge on a plane this small (the thrust line centers on the top of the vertical stabilizer). If I am unable to maintain decent behavior with it up that high then I will try mounting it in the nose (will make balance a bitch), or on a boom sticking out of the tail (pusher). Balance is horrible in a lot of ways, I may end up having to locate the motor near the wing and extending the shaft forwards or backwards through some bearings to get to the prop in its proper pusher/tractor location.
Sparr is offline Find More Posts by Sparr
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:33 PM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
OK, final AUW with 7*300 nimh is 7.3oz. Test flights were horrible. I need 40 degrees of down thrust to keep it from nosing in. I have relocated the motor, I am now using the vertical stabilizer as a pylon, this should let me drop the downthrust to about 10 degrees. Test flight set two tomorrow morning...
Sparr is offline Find More Posts by Sparr
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:38 AM
DisMember
Federal Way, WA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparr
OK, final AUW with 7*300 nimh is 7.3oz. Test flights were horrible. I need 40 degrees of down thrust to keep it from nosing in. I have relocated the motor, I am now using the vertical stabilizer as a pylon, this should let me drop the downthrust to about 10 degrees. Test flight set two tomorrow morning...
Don't give up! Try adjusting the wing to that of my third post.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:27 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
I'm also trying a cheapo glider conversion, using the parts from an extinct Wattage 300 Extra. I haven't used any epoxy in mine and I'll also be using the tail for control surfaces. Hope to have it in the air tomorrow or Friday. Check out my link for info.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=149759
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.