HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
USA, VT, Putney
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
Discussion
Hokusei Ultima Z 70 with Jett BSE 76L

Hello All,

A few weeks ago I ordered a Hokusei Ultima from Best Value RC (http://www.bestvaluerc.com/), located in China. The owner, Max promptly shipped the plane and provided tracking. When the plane was at a sorting station 60 miles from my house, the shipping label was evidently ripped off the box. It showed up undeliverable in the tracking, so my local Post Mistress worked with the sorting facility to get it to me. Somehow, despite our having gotten things figured out, the USPS still returned the box to China! Max was very understanding, and after a few days, a new plane was shipped. That one arrived safely a few days later.

I had been wanting a balsa Hokusei Primus for a while, so when I saw that Max had the Ultima, which is an updated Primus, I jumped. I had recently purchased a Jett 2 stroke BSE 76L (http://www.jettengineering.com/) which is purpose built for 3D and weighs in at 15.2 ounces including exhaust. The Ultima went together easily, with no real issues arising. A few pics:

I broke in the Jett on my engine stand, and today I maidened the Ultima. The plane flew very well, and the engine was fantastic. Of course there are a few adjustments that need to be made, but overall it was a very satisfying, uneventful couple of flights. The Ultima performed as I expected and had no bad habits. I really didn't get too deep into the flight envelope, it will take a few more flights to get comfortable with more advanced maneuvers. The engine is a bit easier to critique. The quality of craftsmanship is just superlative, and Dub has great customer service. The engine was easy to set up and is currently pulling an APC 13x4. After a few flights, I'll put on a Xoar 14x4. As it is set now, it has excellent power and great pullout. The Ultima's AUW is 5 pounds, 4 ounces. The carburation seems well suited to 3D, the transitions are as clean as anything I've flown. The power seems on par with a Saito 82.

I'll write more once I get more familiar with the plane/engine combo.

Regards,
Wardo
wardo78 is offline Find More Posts by wardo78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:47 PM
USA, VT, Putney
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
I am away on a trip, but had a few minutes and thought I'd update this thread. The plane has been flying well, but I did find the landing gear wire was weak, bending easily. Additionally, the wire is too short, causing the plane to have extended toff rolls. I replaced the wire with 40 sized Tetherite gear and that solved the problem. It was difficult to find good hard points for the gear to attach, but I think I got it sorted. I am using nylon bolts to protect the fuse, but if I still end up breaking the fuse, I'll need to pull the covering to install some reinforcements.

The Jett engine continues to be a real power house. They are super tight when delivered, but mine is loosening up nicely. I did have problems with surging, but that was due to my installing the clunk too far back and it starved the engine of fuel because the orifice was blocked by the tank.

Regards,
Wardo
wardo78 is offline Find More Posts by wardo78