SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2001, 02:39 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Airfoil design>Actual cutting

Can someone please explain the process of cutting a foam wing, from seeing the desired airfoil in a program (Profili) to somehow transfering the design to foam, then cuttiing it? For instance, If I bring up the Zagi airfoil, it looks great, I want to use it. What am I looking at? Is it the center (chord)? Is it the wing tip? When I print it, it's only about 8 inches long, how do you transfer the desired airfoil to a chunk of foam? Thanks.
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2001, 05:17 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,508 Posts
I've only made one foam wing. I down loaded the air foil from PROFILI and printed it.

This was glued to a 3/4" thick piece of plywood.

I then cut the air foil pattern using a scroll saw, cleaning it up with a file and sand paper.

This gave me the correct shape which I used to check my progress. The actual shaping of the foam was done using a 'sureform' drywall tool and sand paper.

It was a long slow process but worked well. Hot wire cutting would be easier but I didn't have that ability at the time, still don't for that matter.

This worked well on the constant chord wing I was making. I think this method would be extremely difficult with anything but a constant chord wing. After that experience I switched to all balsa, built-up wings.

As far as PROFILI, you set the length to your requirements. If the chord is less than 10" you can print it on a single sheet of 8.5" x 11". Chords greater than 10" will print on two sheets with registration marks.

You can select a root chord, a tip chord and set the number of ribs between. The progam will perform all the required interpolation and you can print out the whole set of ribs.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Last edited by Larry Dudeck; Oct 01, 2001 at 05:22 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2001, 05:44 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Like this ?.

http://www.geocities.com/william_pics/airfoil.html
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Oct 01, 2001, 06:11 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Thanks Larry,
William YOU DA MAN! The "Help" file for Profili is, uh....short. Anyway, I assume you'd print out the root and tip chords, make templates, attatch the root to one end of the foam, the tip to the other, and then what? do you cut one pass for the top from LE to TE and then do the same on the bottom?
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Oct 01, 2001, 10:46 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...Cutting%20Tips
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A