HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
Bigtex
Joined Mar 2010
39 Posts
Discussion
Alpha 40 Glo to Electric Power Setup

Need some advice from some of the electric plane pros

Put together a Hanger 9 Alpha 40 Trainer-- going to to covert it to electric power. Horizon lists the flying weight of the glo model at 5 to 5.5 lbs.

Horizon Hobby recommends---- Power 25 BL Outrunner Motor, 870Kv; 60-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC; and 3200mAh 4S 14.8V 20C LiPo, 13AWG EC3.

Will this be a sufficient power set up to give this plane adequate power?? or should I go with a stronger setup?

Any recommendations as to brand?

Would like to see an estimate of approximately how much flying time that one could expect from the Horizon Hobby recommended setup assuming that most flying will be a 60% throttle?

I am new to the hobby and still learning the electric technolgy-- and most of the time experience will yield good results-- sometime every better than the formulas. Appreciate any help and comments.

Thanks
bigtex57 is offline Find More Posts by bigtex57
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,908 Posts
I suggest a Power 32. But I think a Power 25 should work as long as you watch the amps. See my reply in the electric page

BTW, I buy all the E-flite motors here (well actually the Exceed-RC Knock-offs) http://www.hobbypartz.com/mopose.html They work great
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Jul 16, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:06 PM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Hi.I'm not a pro......but I tell you my experience with this plane

Just converted few weeks ago my Alpha 40 dsm2 RTF(the orange-white-black one)into electric and I'm very very satisfied whit this.

The set-up that I use is different (always taken from the pages of H9 and E-Flite)
motor: Power 46 bl 670 Kv
ESC: CC phoenix 60 Amp
BEC: CC CCBEC 10 Amp
Prop:APC 11X8 E
Battery:EonX 5S 5000 mah 30C

After testing with a Wattmeter the motor have a max pull of 40A at Full throttle.

Replaced the main wheels with 3.35" and the nose wheel with one of the "old" 2.75" wheel to have more prop clearance from ground.

After removing all the "glow stuff" and installed the electrics and receiver the AUW included the battery is
6,6 lbs.

The flyng time is: at 50% throttle all the time...... 20-22 min
with speed passes and more "spirited" flying 12-15 min

This plane fly like a sport plane and make fast passes a ......"boosted trainer" very pleasant.
The only con is that it need more room than normal to land but once you practice is OK.
v11t is offline Find More Posts by v11t
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
Bigtex
Joined Mar 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v11t View Post
Hi.I'm not a pro......but I tell you my experience with this plane

Just converted few weeks ago my Alpha 40 dsm2 RTF(the orange-white-black one)into electric and I'm very very satisfied whit this.

The set-up that I use is different (always taken from the pages of H9 and E-Flite)
motor: Power 46 bl 670 Kv
ESC: CC phoenix 60 Amp
BEC: CC CCBEC 10 Amp
Prop:APC 11X8 E
Battery:EonX 5S 5000 mah 30C

After testing with a Wattmeter the motor have a max pull of 40A at Full throttle.

Replaced the main wheels with 3.35" and the nose wheel with one of the "old" 2.75" wheel to have more prop clearance from ground.

After removing all the "glow stuff" and installed the electrics and receiver the AUW included the battery is
6,6 lbs.

The flyng time is: at 50% throttle all the time...... 20-22 min
with speed passes and more "spirited" flying 12-15 min

This plane fly like a sport plane and make fast passes a ......"boosted trainer" very pleasant.
The only con is that it need more room than normal to land but once you practice is OK.
Appreciate the quick information-- that at lets me know what I suspected that Horizon recommendations are not very good--

I just want to be sure I order the right motor, esc and batteries.

I noticed that you mentioned a BEC, is not the BEC combined with the ESC??

Thankas
bigtex57 is offline Find More Posts by bigtex57
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
I use the separated BEC because that ESC/BEC can use the onboard BEC only with a battery that have max number of 3 cells. (read the specs of each ESC/BEC before buying it)

Because I wanted a more powerful set-up using the max cell number battery that the motor can handle (5S) than i must use the separate BEC and all it's OK.

Horizon is ok ,but look further to the H9 and E-flite pages,about electric conversion and about the bl motors and you will find very good info's.

I was also helped by other guys on forum's that also gave to me precious info's in order to have a good final result.
v11t is offline Find More Posts by v11t
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:49 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,398 Posts
Older article with some updates in later postings: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264085 .
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:13 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex57 View Post
Appreciate the quick information-- that at lets me know what I suspected that Horizon recommendations are not very good--

I just want to be sure I order the right motor, esc and batteries.

I noticed that you mentioned a BEC, is not the BEC combined with the ESC??

Thankas
If you look at what his weight is, you can see why he needs more power.

The power 25 outrunner should be more than enough power on 4s.

I flew a Sig Rascal 40 on a 15 sized outrunner, at 5.5lbs, and 605 watts for a comfortable 105 watts per pound, on a 3s pack! The power was enough to get it airborne in 20-25 feet, and climb out comfortably at about 40*, but once up to speed, it had sport power, and gave me about 10 mins on a 3s 4000 pack.

That power 25 will be plenty, and my guess is you'll be getting 8 minute flights or so.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
I just did this conversion - yet to fly it though.

I converted it to a bolt on wing and had to modify the battery area a bit to fit A123 cells.

The plane is tragically tail heavy. The wood is seems like some sort of hybrid between balsa and polar lol. But, despite this, its not a heavy kit compared to other trainers. (other trainers use a lot of lite ply instead)

I used an Axi 2826-12 on 6S A123 cells. I also use a 4oz reciever pack stuffed forward and a castle creations HV 45. The servos are all standard Futaba 3004 servos.

With this setup, it just balances at the aft mark. With a lighter motor or battery you would be in trouble. In fact, I just ordered an aluminum spinner to get the CG just a wee bit forward.

All up weight is 5lbs, 14 oz with this setup which is great. Lots of room to clear an 11 inch prop, probably 12.

Hoping to fly it next week or so - been flying since 93, but took a two year break due to job changes and such so wanted an easy flier to get back into it quickly.
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC