Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Jun 2005
844 Posts
Detail Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj4de View Post
hello all

i have started the "detail upgrade" program on my wildcat. I have re-painted the cockpit a bit and i have added an antenna mast to the plane. Decals from callie are on the way now and should be here shortly. I will add the guns and the pilot tube next. I am thinking about cutting the windows on the bottom of the plane open and cover the three large holes in the rear fuselage with tape before applying the new paint job.

i am also tempted to add the retract system that orion has in the works once it comes out...can't wait to see the first pictures of it...in the bird!

Cheers
uwe
great pictures
Spaceshuttle1 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceshuttle1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
602 Posts
I have the airframe only version. I am toying with the idea of a wildcat to Brewster Buffalo conversion.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
In thrust we trust
Chandler AZ
Joined Mar 2008
392 Posts
I have the airframe too what motor and battery are you thinking of using?
devilbomber is offline Find More Posts by devilbomber
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:08 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Any Pics? Would love to see what you've done so far.

Does anyone have a good step by step guide or would be willing to give some tips on weathering the planes? So far everyones has looked really nice and FWCXC, yours is just incredible! I'm assuming you used an airbrush to get that nice of a finish.
ljcamp7 Yes I used first sandpaper to sand injection points ,coated whole airplane with spacle trying to avoid covering panel lines. Then sanded whole airplane with 220 sandpaper. Following with foam brush and white primer. when dry sand with 300 sandpaper. Now you can apply paint with airbrush I use good old CIL outdoor mat house paint which Homedepo can match for you. Bottom I just used Tamiya
Gullgray paint . Then the fun begins with weathering again using Tamiya paints and air brush. Hope this will help.

Greg
FWCXC is online now Find More Posts by FWCXC
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:05 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
i wonder how 82nd troopers landing gear would work on a grass field??
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:13 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has put serious power into this airframe yet. I'm talking around 500-600 watts. Thats enough in my book to make any foamy this size seriously quick. Anymore and it starts to get too expensive.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:17 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Just wondering if anyone has put serious power into this airframe yet. I'm talking around 500-600 watts. Thats enough in my book to make any foamy this size seriously quick. Anymore and it starts to get too expensive.

That sounds too easy to me, why not find or wind a motor that is slightly higher in Kv but is more efficient, so you increase the performance and increase the duration at the same time, and to top it off, try to bring it in under the stock weight.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:46 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbomber View Post
I have the airframe too what motor and battery are you thinking of using?
I plan on using the Alpha 480 1020kv motor from hobbypartz. Im not sure about the battery .
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:40 AM
Joined May 2010
181 Posts
Yesterday,

did complet the under wing wathering and did also finish the fuse with that process. I have'nt got the time to start on the dummy radial engin with detail's silver color paint. I mite have the time this afternoon to do some more detail's. Also will work something on the exterior canopy to make it look old and scratchy too. Will see what comes to my mind while at it ...

Did also the machine gun black powder lines under wing and top wing and are deeply black for a more accurate far away site view while flying.

Will also have to go in the canopy to do some painting in there. Will try
to add little detail in there like the head rest unit part and get that pilot some color on his flight gears and face. He looks to sick to me as he is now ... lol ...

As soon as i have it more complet, and maybe today, I'll do a photoshoot session of the Wildcat so all can see some of my work done on her ...

Till now, I am very satisfy on the outlook style she as become ...
A1TANGO is offline Find More Posts by A1TANGO
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:01 AM
Heli & Warbird Fan
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Jun 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Last weekend, Ive flown my F4F with the 3536C-1100 and a 10x7x3 MAS. I got a flight time of 6 minutes with mixed throttle. ~540 watts with a fresh battery. Nice speed and a great climb rate - unlimited vertical.
-=RAGE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RAGE=-
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:08 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Feb 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1TANGO View Post
Nice going 82nd Trooper ,,,

Yea, you should consider taking off those wheel's in the bay doors
that should give your Wildcat some great outlook that way.

Just a thought !!!

And Nice the rocket under the weapon pilon carriage Bud!
Have you consider a 3 blader prop's ?

Thanks for the sharing view of your F4F ...
Each individual's do it is own way !!!
I agree with you about the wheels, a new paint job is on the radar. My first objective was to get her in the air! The wheels are Duo Pro 2 3/4 fly lites, and the tail gear is also Duo Pro #375. It took less that an hour to install, with the tail gear taking the longest. No grass were I fly, but I think it wouldn't be a problem. With the PZ 480 from a old Corsair, roll out is like 25 ft. than she's off.

Jim
82nd Trooper is offline Find More Posts by 82nd Trooper
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:20 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Experimentation costs money. I do know of a great combo that would fit in this plane but am wondering how it performs with the extra power. Is the model very draggy? Does the extra power just get wasted? My P-40 was a rocket with the motor I have.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:42 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,376 Posts
Logic would suggest it's not as slippery as a P40 or P51
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:08 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anj4de View Post
I am thinking about cutting the windows on the bottom of the plane open and cover the three large holes in the rear fuselage with tape before applying the new paint job.
cheers
Uwe
Uwe,

Those holes are needed to allow cooling air to flow thru the plane. Are you planning on leaving the holes taped over? You may want to reconsider...
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:17 AM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john View Post
Uwe,

Those holes are needed to allow cooling air to flow thru the plane. Are you planning on leaving the holes taped over? You may want to reconsider...

Hi

I know that but the parts that need cooling are the ESC and maybe the Lipo and those are all in the front of the fuselage. If I cut the windows under the wings open the air should come out there, still behind the point where the Lipo sits...what do you think?

cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de