Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
No cure for it either, you just have to keep attenting the meetings here.
lol
I am SkyCaptain and I have a micro fetish, a park flyer fetish, an rc truck fetish, a quad fetish and an rc boat fetish. Please help me find more room for my stuff
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:59 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
lol
I am SkyCaptain and I have a micro fetish, a park flyer fetish, an rc truck fetish, a quad fetish and an rc boat fetish. Please help me find more room for my stuff
I am here for you. You need to break the habit. I will PM you my address and you box everything up and ship to me.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Remembering Pearl Harbor....

Although they weren't a factor at Pearl, they were certainly heavily involved in the defense of Wake the very next day....

Put the Wildcat up today for five, very nice, somber flights in honor of those who fought and died on December 7th....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Dec 07, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:21 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Crashed Wildcat recovered from Lake Michigan

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-michigan?lite

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:34 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Although they weren't a factor at Pearl, they were certainly heavily involved in the defense of Wake the very next day....

Put the Wildcat up today for five, very nice, somber flights in honor of those who fought and died on December 7th....
True, but the battle in which the Wildcat played the largest role must be Guadalcanal. I did not neglect Midway but the dive bombers were the heroes there.

Let us never forget those Marines who played such a pivotal tole in the reversal of the Japanese push to control the Pacific.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:39 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
True, but the battle in which the Wildcat played the largest role must be Guadalcanal......
Marine Capt. Joe Foss attacks the battleship Hiei, off Guadalcanal, Friday, November 13th, 1942.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
The story of a great Wildcat pilot. Get to the bottom where they try to take the medal og honor pin from him post 911

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Foss
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:

True, but the battle in which the Wildcat played the largest role must be Guadalcanal. I did not neglect Midway but the dive bombers were the heroes there.

Let us never forget those Marines who played such a pivotal tole in the reversal of the Japanese push to control the Pacific.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Well, not to hijack this thread, but although the Dauntless got the glory at Midway, let's face it, the valiant charge of the TBD's and the absolute gallantry exhibited by the men of Torpedo Eight won the battle. How? Because they brought the Japanese AAA gunners down to sea level, not to mention the fact that all the Zeros were now down at sea level as well, leaving the skies above the carriers completely undefended. The Dauntless pilots had a veritable smorgasboard of targets beneath them when they arrived shortly after the Devastators were decimated...

Great to see the story of yet another warbird pulled from Lake Michigan!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Well, not to hijack this thread, but although the Dauntless got the glory at Midway, let's face it, the valiant charge of the TBD's and the absolute gallantry exhibited by the men of Torpedo Eight won the battle. How? Because they brought the Japanese AAA gunners down to sea level, not to mention the fact that all the Zeros were now down at sea level as well, leaving the skies above the carriers completely undefended. The Dauntless pilots had a veritable smorgasboard of targets beneath them when they arrived shortly after the Devastators were decimated...

Great to see the story of yet another warbird pulled from Lake Michigan!
You can't forget the defenders of Midway that caused the fleet to reload. The Catalinas that discovered the fleet. From the standpoint of sacrifice the torpedo bombers get my vote. The Japanese A/C that discovered the US fleet, causing the reversal of load for ships, leaving the decks loaded with fuel and munitions were helpful too.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
The wildcats were still being used on the Taffy Jeep carriers at Leyte Gulf. They were heroes, along with the destroyers, doing everything they could to protect their fleet.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
The wildcats were still being used on the Taffy Jeep carriers at Leyte Gulf. They were heroes, along with the destroyers, doing everything they could to protect their fleet.
Very true...flying combat missions to the end....

Some in Royal Navy service even shot down some German aircraft in 1945 off of Norway...!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Picked it up today. Flying tomorrow.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
You know we are expecting pics and a full debriefing....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
I have built two Wildcats for rubber scale, one for electric rc and now the foam version. To me, it was one of the most beautiful early WWII planes. My electric rc version was done in MF-211 -- the defenders of Wake Island. They were overrun by the Japanese forces. Every time I flew it, I thought of the Marines who flew those planes and died trying to defend Wake against all odds. I plan to build another one before I pass on. This morning I enjoyed flying my Parkzone F4F-3--a really great flying model.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.