HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
This is a fun thread. I can't wait to pick mine up. I have read a little complaint about tip stall. As I will be flying one for the first time soon are there any members of the thread sober enough to give a little consideration and reply? The rest of you can just carry on!
Sobriety is overrated. As is reality.

I for one have never had any problems with stalls, tip or otherwise. Mind you, I think the only time I have the throttle below 75% is just before touchdown.

Keep the speed up, and stalling won't be a problem. She's a warbird - if you're flying slow, you're doing it wrong
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
She's a warbird - if you're flying slow, you're doing it wrong

lol
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butaford View Post
I bought an airframe only and put in a:
Firepower 10 sport
http:// http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1429/Firepower-10-Sport-%283536-dsh-10%29/Detail
Along with a 40amp ESC and a 10x5 prop. I fly 1300mah lipos and get about 5-1/2 minute flights. I don't know how fast it is but its pretty quick and has unlimited vertical.

That's good looking setup and i reckon 5.5mins flight time with the 1300mah LiPo is ok. Cheers for the links.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:48 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
F9F?

The Panther? Not the Wildcat?

I was not sober enough and typed a 9 instead of a 4. My poor typing hides my terrible spelling.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,411 Posts
lol, Gotta keep those 9ers outa where they dont belong, Sometimes its easier said than done!lol
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I was not sober enough and typed a 9 instead of a 4. My poor typing hides my terrible spelling.
Yeah, and the 9 and the 4 are right next door to each other!
Redzed9 is online now Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,088 Posts
Are you still getting the 'cat in the air RZ

When does the season end in the UK, or does it?

Cheers, and I hope you're still enjoying the tubby little Grumman
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Carbon Z Cub
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzed9 View Post
Yeah, and the 9 and the 4 are right next door to each other!
And you use the same finger to type them. LOL44
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Are you still getting the 'cat in the air RZ

When does the season end in the UK, or does it?

Cheers, and I hope you're still enjoying the tubby little Grumman
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
And you use the same finger to type them. LOL44
Hey Justwinglet & degreen.

Actually, ol' Fatso (the little tubby Grumman) is becoming the "ONLY" plane I can fly at the moment!

The problem here is that the flying season in sunny England is/was only really on Tuesday 31st of July in the afternoon between 1:25 and about 6:20, and I was busy then, so I think I missed it.

Ha ha, the weather hasn't been too great for flying here, so my other toys - Durafly P51 & P47, can't currently take off or land at my field due to the wetness/ puddles/ length of grass/ gale force wind etc! because they break props just for the fun of it? - and my latest addition, the E Flite Hurricane is still awaiting some bits to complete before it's maiden, and will then still probably have to wait due to the rain and wind!!

I'm trying to find a nice 'solid' runway nearby.....opcorn and waiting for a wind and rain free day!: wish me luck.

But of course, we are a hardy bunch over on this little Island, so whenever we do get even the smallest chance to throw some foam in the air.... we do.

SO - That's why I Luv my little Fatso, cause take off's are just a quick toss!! Flying in a reasonable wind is a breeze (was that a pun?) and landings need nearly any flat(ish) surface without obstacles. The perfik plane for the UK it seems

I've even bought it some little toys, a T28 prop and a 3 blade one, new prop adaptor (so these fit!) some new engine cowlings, as they don't last too long when you power dive Fatso into the deck! (one of my less successful landing styles) Must be made of really flimsy stuff these cowls I think eh?? Rest of ol' Fatso seemed to really enjoy it! and a cockpit upgrade from parkflyer plastics: http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=517 which I'm going to have a bash at fitting when the weather gets really bad, and unflyable!

My typing finger is getting knackered now, so I think I'll go get it a little glass of wine to recover

I hope you boys on the other side of the world are getting lots of flying time in with ol' Fatso

Enjoy

I'm not sure what day Summer will be on next year in England, but fingers crossed I'm free then
Redzed9 is online now Find More Posts by Redzed9
Last edited by Redzed9; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
This is a fun thread. I can't wait to pick mine up. I have read a little complaint about tip stall. As I will be flying one for the first time soon are there any members of the thread sober enough to give a little consideration and reply? The rest of you can just carry on!
CF105 is right...keep some speed up and you won't have a tip stall problem with this bird. Mine rolls better with speed, too. Trim her out at 70% - 75% throttle.

Sometimes, though, I fly low, slow, fairly tight circles just to enjoy how beautiful she is in the air. Have to give some opposite rudder to keep her altitude level and avoid a tip stall. Works like a charm.

She's great fun to fly. Enjoy her!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:23 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,088 Posts
RZ,

Yes, still flying her quite a bit and for the very reasons you stated; just toss her into the air and go to work! I've been flying her on stock 1300's and went back to the two blade -- flys just as good as any other combo and is alot cheaper to maintain this way. I'm still getting 10 minutes of solid flying with her. When it's time to land, just point her into the wind and float on down

Put two batteries through her last evening. Pretty much gets flown every week.

Cheers,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Carbon Z Cub
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:31 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I've been flying her on stock 1300's and went back to the two blade -- flys just as good as any other combo and is alot cheaper to maintain this way.

Yeah the 2-blade props are the go.
Always try out a 3 or 4-blade if i can, but its mostly for the looks.
Sometimes they give a bit more torque but more blades means more drag too,
so i dont seem to get any more speed, even with a greater pitch.
Just gives my ESC a hard time
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzed9 View Post
...bought some new engine cowlings, as they don't last too long. Must be made of really flimsy stuff eh??

Almost as weak as they come.
Its a shame, and quite odd really because its such a great plane
and the cowling is such a large component on this belly-lander.
If you go back about 70 pages there is some good posts on
how to strengthen your Wildcat cowling so that it will withstand a lot more abuse.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
894 Posts
Just below freezing with bright sun this morning and no wind. I took the F4F out for a flight. The prewar paint scheme really looks good with the sun shining on it. Blue nose, green tail shine our but those yellow wings are like the sun it-self shining at you. Now if I kind just learn to set it down sooner so I don't have to walk so far to get it. LOL
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserBeam View Post

Almost as weak as they come.
Its a shame, and quite odd really because its such a great plane
and the cowling is such a large component on this belly-lander.
If you go back about 70 pages there is some good posts on
how to strengthen your Wildcat cowling so that it will withstand a lot more abuse.
I think a lot of the ARF planes have very weak cowls. I believe the GP WWI planes maybe the worst. I broke a GP Fokker cowl getting it out of shipping plastic. I am going to look for the post on strengthen cowl.