HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
jricchio,

I've flown on the PZ three-bladers with a couple of different models but found them to be a little fragile. Not that I plow my birds in when I land, but I even had one break a prop just setting her in gently...I guess the blade was in the wrong place in the wrong time. Bottom line, how often do you fly your cat and have you ever broken a prop?

Maybe it was just a bad batch, but I've even had a PZ three-blader fly apart on me in mid-air ! Fortunately, it was on my Trojan and I just dead-sticked her in for an absolute greaser...funny how some of your best landings are under emergency conditions !

I love the way the three-blader looks on the cat...it just finishes it off. I'm just a bit leary of the props anymore...
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
I've also used the corsair 3-blade prop. It works really good for thrust and should be just fine with your 25C batteries. (It overwhelms the stock battery,). The prop looks good and if you paint the hub silver it looks great. Buy several because they break with normal use. Try a T-28 prop sometime too. Happy flying!
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
That's my point....

Things shouldn't break with "normal" use...

I've flown my cat with them before, and I still have several brand new ones from when I was flying exclusively on the three blader; I was just hoping maybe it was a bad batch and not the norm...and yes, the T-28 prop turns the Wildcat into a true Wildcat !

I've been doing some minor detailing on the cat (that's all I know how to do - I'm not an artist like some of the folks here on RCG )...maybe I'll give the three-blader another chance...
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
.....I guess the blade was in the wrong place in the wrong time....
Yup.

That's happened to me only once, out of a whole lot of normal 3-blader landings.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,365 Posts
Corsair prop is all I'm using on my Wildcat now. I did have one fail on me during an otherwise perfect landing - one blade came off, and another was cracked near the hub. Now I inspect the prop before & after each flight.

Fact is, the plastic used in those props is probably a bit too brittle for belly-landing, and odds are they will occasionally break on landing.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinopilot View Post
25C gens ace eco
If you need speed. Try some higher discharge rate bats.
Currently the 1300mAh 40c units from Heads up rc are rocking my boat.
If you do not use the high discharge rate, just putzen ok extendend flight times.
Punch it ya got it!
Do not use a wimpy ESC.
Try that before a huge heavy motor.
Yes happy Veteran's day, especially to the families who lost loved ones.
And to the friends who live in memory.
Check out Newport News CA 148 Oct 1 1972.
We were all kids.
Peace Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
quit typing and go fly
North Riverside, IL
Joined Sep 2006
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
jricchio,

I've flown on the PZ three-bladers with a couple of different models but found them to be a little fragile. Not that I plow my birds in when I land, but I even had one break a prop just setting her in gently...I guess the blade was in the wrong place in the wrong time. Bottom line, how often do you fly your cat and have you ever broken a prop?

Maybe it was just a bad batch, but I've even had a PZ three-blader fly apart on me in mid-air ! Fortunately, it was on my Trojan and I just dead-sticked her in for an absolute greaser...funny how some of your best landings are under emergency conditions !

I love the way the three-blader looks on the cat...it just finishes it off. I'm just a bit leary of the props anymore...
I lost a blade once doing a high speed dive and pass with a good head wind. I thought I hit something when it made a loud "crack". Cut the throttle and glider safely in with no damage. That was after about 20 flights with the 3 blade prop. I have about 40 lights on the current prop. Yeah, they look and feal fragil, but I like the looks and the performance.
jricchio is online now Find More Posts by jricchio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
806 Posts
I bought some Hyperion 1300 25C batts to power my Wildcat. Man, what a difference! I was happy with the ThunderPower 1350 25C...but these Hyps are much better! (Of course, it may be in part because I have some time and flights on the TP 1350, too). More power, more authority, and more fun flying!

To all of our Vets on this Veterans' Day...a sincere, heartfelt "Thank You!" ...and salute!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:13 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Broke two corsair props back to back. I got a the Power 15 and the T-28 prop, thrust and speed are not a problem, wings bowing is freaks me out!

If you use a corsair prop, it will break belly landing maybe not today or tomorrow but it will. Both of mine broke on GENTILE touch downs with the stock setup. Not even thinking of trying it with the Power 15.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
......GENTILE touch downs........thinking of .........the Power........
Matt,

Just use The Force!

Don't think about Gentile, or Jewish, or whatever.........or The Power vs The Force.............it's all good...........those artificial differences have no place in the Brotherhood of RC Aviation!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Nov 12, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Nice! Still loving this bird though, just glides right in even with the extra weight.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined May 2006
106 Posts
Finally got my F4F!

Only.... Now I'm as busy as a one armed paper hanger in a wind storm. How did that happen? One day your wondering what to do with all of your new found spare time then, BAM! Your so far behind you can't see stragiht?

Anyway, the bird looks good, wings look straight and the rear stab looks straight. Paint is not an issue, looks good too. I'm hoping that I can get her up in the air real soon. Had some fun a few weeks ago when I was flying the Dynam T28. I had trouble with take offs so I held the tial and did max power then let go. WOW!

BTW, I did pick up a 3 blade Corasir prop to see what the diif is with my set up when I get it in the air. Worst case, I use it for display if it survives, haha.
g2tiger is offline Find More Posts by g2tiger
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
936 Posts
I flew the Wildcat after painting when the sky was overcast. It was mostly a dark plane in the sky unless I banked and could see the yellow on the wings. I took it out today for its first flight with 3 blade prop. Sun was out and all the colors stood out. Really looked good. Could not tell any differant from 2 blade prop but I am not a speed flyer. I am use to flying WWI planes and on landing I bring them in close and chop power and they slow to a nice soft landing. I brought the Wildcat in, chopped power and watched it not loose speed and fly right on by. I added power for a waveoff and next time brought it in much lower for a fast landing. Now I am working on getting the old FW-190 going.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I am use to flying WWI planes and on landing I bring them in close and chop power and they slow to a nice soft landing. I brought the Wildcat in, chopped power and watched it not loose speed and fly right on by.

lol yeah she likes to fly.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
anyone have an extra spar for this plane?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx