HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:51 AM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
Check this out wildcatters

LX F4Fリトラクト テスト(ラジコン1) (0 min 15 sec)

I think this may the first mass produced LG for the Wildcat. The airframe is a nice size as well. I have been waiting for this day - a larger cat airframe with retracts.

Hink
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:55 AM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCL8z...layer_embedded

I think this may the first mass produced LG for the Wildcat. The airframe is a nice size as well. I have been waiting for this day - a larger cat airframe with retracts.

Hink
Kinda looks like it might have flaps too.....it does have folding wings! Look to the right of the fuse side. You can see the wing FOLDED in the still frame of the video.

Don
AMA 384859
dlt2859 is offline Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,462 Posts
wow that is cool
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,489 Posts
It's on the Freewing F4FThread
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:04 PM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt2859 View Post
Kinda looks like it might have flaps too.....it does have folding wings! Look to the right of the fuse side. You can see the wing FOLDED in the still frame of the video.

Don
AMA 384859
You can also see the hinge on the wing in the foreground during the video. They appear to be mechanical though 'cause there is some sort of locking bolt mechanism where the flaps would be.

Looks pretty cool, let's see how she flies!
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:15 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Took the Wildcat out for the 1st time since since the scorching summer heat. Temp today was 42F and boy did I get a surprise The cooler temp caused my aileron and elevator surfaces to go way out of trim Took almost all right aileron trim and about 20 clicks of down elevator to get her to fly level... wasn't expecting that at all... At first I thought I had a major malfunction, but after a few close fly byes everything looked in order... so I adjusted the trim and it stayed perfect through 2 batteries. Had my Stinson out and nothing changed trim wise... very odd
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Sub
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:01 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,373 Posts
Yeah my next Wildcat....

God bless the republic of China.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
It's on the Freewing F4FThread
I believe LX makes this one. It appears to be between 1300 and 1400mm. If the quality is on par with their B-25 it will be outstanding. If it flys anywhere near the PZ it is a home run. There is a thread on this If' you goggle LX wildcat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727861

Hink
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Last edited by Hink64; Nov 07, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:01 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,246 Posts
Trashed my nearly 3 year old Wildcat yesterday when a moment of complacence coincided with a soccer goal post. All electrical components survived, so I just ordered a new air frame. Can't be without this bird.
Lilienthal is offline Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
Trashed my nearly 3 year old Wildcat yesterday when a moment of complacence coincided with a soccer goal post. All electrical components survived, so I just ordered a new air frame. Can't be without this bird.
Sorry for your loss. A moment of silence, please. Seriously! I would be crying...big time!

Hope it's not too long before you get a Wildcat back in the air.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:47 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
Your crash sounds a bit like the first one I had with my Wildcat, on flight 72 or so. I pitched it, only to have it circle hard right and roll in--something it had never done before. I was mystified until, looking at it post-crash, I realized that in sliding the battery in I had managed to pull one of the aileron servo leads loose and hadn't realized it. The involved aileron jammed, hence the roll and drop. Fortunately all I did was break the prop--sometimes it's the simple (and embarassing!) things.
You know, I just noticed I could push one of the servo plugs in farther, so it is possible I messed that up. Thank you sir. I feel a bit less silly knowing I am not the only one who had a crash like that even if that wasn't the direct cause for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Flew 2 more 1250's and 4 more 1350's this morning for a total of 50 more minutes of flight time logged on the little 'cat !

Abundant sunshine, 72 degrees and little to no wind...just perfect

GBL, I snapped a couple of pics for you as per your request for elevator pics. Mine is basically level; maybe just a smidge of up elevator induced through mechanical trim. I always trim my models to fly hands-off at 50-60% throttle. As trimmed, at roughly 50% throttle, my Wildcat will fly straight and level hands-off for at least 250 yards before she starts to gently bank into the direction the wind is taking her. I just tested her again this morning and with little to no wind, at about 100-150 feet altitude, she just sails on by looking as cool as ever

Also, look down the long axis of the model and ensure the elevators are level, using the main wing as a guide...mine were a bit "wonky" as the Brits would say, and needed some light tweaking to get them straight.

Hope you get your bugs worked out...remember, gentle on the thumbs, easy does it
Thank you very much for the pics. I can see I had things set incorrectly based on the elevator one.

After closer inspection, I noticed that I busted out a small piece of the front of the cowl. A nice little souvenir from that humbling experience

It was too windy to try to fly it again today, but tomorrow may be a different story. I am hoping that I get the bugs worked out too and I know I will with the help from all of you.

PS: I am pretty sure my thumbs were a bit heavy. I had a rush of excitement as I threw it up and it probably didn't help my performance. For the time it was in the air it did look really cool and HUGE!!!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Justwingit, I love your picks and overall take on the wildcat. I fly it stock and floaty as well. My ailerons have about the same warpage as yours but it doesnt seem to affect the flight characteristics one bit.
Yess. Ditto nice pix. This warp thing bothers me.
#1&#2 are fine. No #3 if that is the best Horizon offers.
Thanks for the photos. Chris
Wamp is online now Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Took the Wildcat out for the 1st time since since the scorching summer heat. Temp today was 42F and boy did I get a surprise The cooler temp caused my aileron and elevator surfaces to go way out of trim Took almost all right aileron trim and about 20 clicks of down elevator to get her to fly level... wasn't expecting that at all... At first I thought I had a major malfunction, but after a few close fly byes everything looked in order... so I adjusted the trim and it stayed perfect through 2 batteries. Had my Stinson out and nothing changed trim wise... very odd
I had the problem with mine on Tuesday. The temp was 35f, had to put right trim on elevator. Will have wait five months now to see if warm weather fixes it.
tc16 is offline Find More Posts by tc16
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:20 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc16 View Post
I had the problem with mine on Tuesday. The temp was 35f, had to put right trim on elevator. Will have wait five months now to see if warm weather fixes it.
My theory is that it's caused by the the differential in thermal contraction/expansion of the foam vs. the control rods.

In effect, the control setup is like a bimetallic thermometer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1447

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam