HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:44 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,107 Posts
I guess I have been very lucky in the way that I haven't received anything warped yet. Maybe a very slightly bent aileron but that's it. The only bad luck I have had was a bad aileron servo and that caused a totaled plane. Since then I have only bought the airframe kit and put better electronics in it.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,402 Posts
Can I quote you in another forum Sky? PZ FMS Durafly are all the same except service and parts are easier with PZ.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,107 Posts
Ok, so what's your point?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
The only bad luck I have had was a bad aileron servo and that caused a totaled plane. Since then I have only bought the airframe kit and put better electronics in it.
The point is it can happen even in a PZ plane. And yes, buying the airframe kit and putting BETTER electronics is always the better route. Remember better is the enemy of good.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:28 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
The point is it can happen even in a PZ plane. And yes, buying the airframe kit and putting BETTER electronics is always the better route. Remember better is the enemy of good.
I still don't quite get it.
"PZ FMS Durafly are all the same except service and parts are easier with PZ".
This statement doesn't mean I saind it can't happen with PZ.
I would love to have a link to the whole post. I think this was taken out of context.
Remember, better is the enemy of worse
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:04 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Remember, better is the enemy of worse
Hey, I like that.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,107 Posts
Thanks
I'm really hoping this storm will pass and we will have some good weather next weekend. I really want to go flying
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Don't try this at home!

Who says you can't do touch and go's with the Wildcat....

So there I was....

In from the desert for a day and the winds were dead calm so let's go flying to relieve some stress...

I'm flying my 4th and final 1350 thru her and thought I had set up a nice approach...actually, I knew I was coming in a little too hot, but figured I could put her down on my little patch of grass anyway (those who follow my blog know about my little "carrier deck" patch of grass out in the desert...)

When I finally flared, I only had about 10 feet of grass left before she slid off into the dirt (and it's about a 6-10 foot gentle drop-off ) Soooo, I did what every good RC pilot would do; I pulled back ever so slightly on the stick and throttled up about halfway...and as Maxwell Smart used to say "Would you believe..." the little plane got back up into the air !

It had nothing to do with my flying abilities (Okay, maybe just a little, but not much ) I owe it all to the fantastic design of the Wildcat. Even sliding along the grass it had just enough speed to respond to the elevator input and gave me just enough prop clearance to give it throttle!

I climbed out, brought her around, set up a good approach and put her down wings level, stopping gently within a 5-7 foot slide along the grass.

WHEW !!!

And yes......I cleaned out my shorts when I got home !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,177 Posts
Hah!

I've done a touch 'n go with the Wildcat too, but in my case she "skipped" back in the air after touching down. It was either open the throttle & go around, or likely stall & crash.

Currently flying my 3rd Wildcat. So far all have come with the same defect - the pilot!
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:25 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,402 Posts
Just as long as it isn't the JNA Japanese Naval Airforce
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
713 Posts
Great Wildcat "touch-n-go" stories! Love 'em! And am especially glad for how they turned out. Way - !!!

Think I'll just stick to READING about them, though. You know...Murphy's Law. Ol' Murph would take over for sure! If I tried to do that intentionally, I'd wind up being (as a good flyin' buddy says) "a real pilot...I'd pile it up all over the runway!"

Congrats!
Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Last edited by shepflyr; Oct 29, 2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Think I'll just stick to READING about them, though. You know...Murphy's Law. Ol' Murph would take over for sure! If I tried to do that intentionally, I'd wind up being (as a good flyin' buddy says) "a real pilot...I'd pile it up all over the runway!"

Congrats!
Tom
LOL!

No doubt; I'd never try what happened this morning intentionally...which is why I titled it "Don't try this at home"...

Like CF105's experience, I really had no choice...unless I wanted my little 'cat sliding off the precipice into dirt It was more or less a successful knee-jerk reaction to a really messed up approach-landing The grass on the driving range is always kept really, really short: almost astro-turf short. The Wildcat will usually slide along about 7-10 feet on landing, so I try to put her down somewhere near the middle of my little patch of grass. Well, this morning, I put her down just a little too close to the edge...

I'm just happy it turned out the way it did and we can share a happy story instead of a bummer...
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Oct 29, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:52 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,177 Posts
I will take luck over skill any day! Especially since I'm still working on that whole "skill" thing.

I'm sure I've had more close calls flying that little Grumman than why everything else I've flown so far. Something about flying her makes me forget my #1 rule: "don't get cocky". Not even sure how #3 has lasted this long.

Well, as long as they keep making them, and I keep wrecking them... I'll keep buying them!
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Who says you can't do touch and go's with the Wildcat....

So there I was....

In from the desert for a day and the winds were dead calm so let's go flying to relieve some stress...

I'm flying my 4th and final 1350 thru her and thought I had set up a nice approach...actually, I knew I was coming in a little too hot, but figured I could put her down on my little patch of grass anyway (those who follow my blog know about my little "carrier deck" patch of grass out in the desert...)

When I finally flared, I only had about 10 feet of grass left before she slid off into the dirt (and it's about a 6-10 foot gentle drop-off ) Soooo, I did what every good RC pilot would do; I pulled back ever so slightly on the stick and throttled up about halfway...and as Maxwell Smart used to say "Would you believe..." the little plane got back up into the air !

It had nothing to do with my flying abilities (Okay, maybe just a little, but not much ) I owe it all to the fantastic design of the Wildcat. Even sliding along the grass it had just enough speed to respond to the elevator input and gave me just enough prop clearance to give it throttle!

I climbed out, brought her around, set up a good approach and put her down wings level, stopping gently within a 5-7 foot slide along the grass.
?
WHEW !!!

And yes......I cleaned out my shorts when I got home !
I ain't never had too much fun!
Pulled off one or two in snow, but you win! Too cool! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:57 PM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Great Wildcat "touch-n-go" stories! Love 'em! And am especially glad for how they turned out. Way - !!!

Congrats!
Tom
Murphy was an optimist...
dazed&confuzed is online now Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed