HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,429 Posts
Try getting the fruit stand to answer the phone.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1998 View Post
If they want to send you a new plane, I believe that would be pretty good service. The other companies won't even talk to you, never mind actually help you. But, your money, your call. As for me, Horizon will be seeing more of my money.
BH has done better than HH did this go around. Yes, really.

Beyond that, my main issue was how I was treated more than what was offered. When people who are there to fix a company's mistakes should not treat customers like I was treated.

Edit: Maybe I was too sensitive about it. The last two weeks have been very rough for me personally and I bought this to make me happy. Perhaps I need to see if they are still willing to do an exchange instead of getting my money back. The guy said he was printing off the shipping label in the morning. Hmmmmm
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Last edited by GBLynden; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,137 Posts
Sometimes it's how you approach things. In some cases it's not the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.
I'm not saying you didn't approach it appropriately because I don't know how the conversation went down. But I do know that if customer support senses anger or hostility, they will be less willing to help.
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
591 Posts
Yeah, give the little ol' tubby Grumman a chance to show you what she's made of.

I'm sure you will like it when you've flown it.

A LOT
Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,429 Posts
Remember that "Better" is the enemy of "Good".
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Sometimes it's how you approach things. In some cases it's not the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.
I'm not saying you didn't approach it appropriately because I don't know how the conversation went down. But I do know that if customer support senses anger or hostility, they will be less willing to help.
Something wasn't right and perhaps it was my approach. Calling at the end of their work day probably wasn't a helpful factor either.

The good news is that you guys haven't gotten rid of me yet as they are sending me a new kit as soon as I send the damaged plane back to them.

My expectations have been adjusted so I hope to be reporting happy flights with my Wildcat in the coming weeks!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,429 Posts
I'm glad we helped turn you back around to give it another try. Plane is very fun.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
591 Posts
Just bear in mind........

It may not be perfect when you get it.

But with all the guys on this site helping you....... "WE" can fix it

When it flies.......... you'll love it.
Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,137 Posts
It has to be the most docile and fun warbird on the market.
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
My ailerons were also warped... although no where near as bad as yours... I maidened mine with the warps and it has been one of my favorite planes to fly ever since You won't be disappointed
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,554 Posts
Thank you again guys. All of you were helpful
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
GB,

Glad you're open to giving the Wildcat another look. She's worth it!

I'll have to agree that the customary QC was lacking on these. The ailerons on mine were warped worse than yours, and she had other issues. And yeah, I'd rather have not had to deal with them.

But that's the challenge! Like you, I got a great deal on her, so it was worth it for me to work with her. And it was an excellent learning experience for me!

I used a hair dryer (very carefully!!! ) to take out the warps. That helped. Then I fixed her other issues. Had to really work at trimming her up...more than most of my other PKZ planes. But now that she's "there", I'm really loving her! She's an easy flyer and looks beautiful and very impressive in the air. Other pilots and spectators always turn their heads and admire her when she's going through her paces.

Don't give up! You've got a lot of fun flying ahead of you!
Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:11 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,554 Posts
What were the settings on the hair dryer? I hope the warp is as low as it was on the right wing so I don't need to worry about it. My fingers are crossed though since I really want to have a great experience with it.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
I had to take warp out of both ailerons and both elevators.

I used high heat setting, but kept the nozzel a safe distance away and kept moving it slowly so I wouldn't overheat the foam.

Apply the heat to the INSIDE of the curve while applying gentle bending pressure. The dryer heats up pockets in the foam, and when they pop, they expand and bend the curve out and straighten the warp.

Just watch carefully. Overheating will either damage the aileron or crinkle and disfigure the paint and smooth surface. Some guys put a damp cloth on the part they're heating to prevent this.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,293 Posts
just as point of reference my pzt28 viewed from the front has a warped tail rudder to the right a few degrees and it is a sweet straight flying plane. also the left side of the elevator is a bit bowed lower than the other side. i was not happy but was so excited to have her finally i just assembled and threw her in the air. works amazing with barely any trim needed. you would not notice these things if i did not point them out. all in all a wonderful plane to fly. just saying...
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd