SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:12 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
GBL, If you are just getting into the hobby forget the soldering iron and go straight for the Anderson power poles.http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...owerpole-sets/. No soldering and will save you countless time and mistakes that other connectors have due to their bad design. When you don't own that many lipos or ESCs is the time to get power poles so you won't have to convert your whole fleet later once you realize how superior these things are to other connectors.
I am not sure I understand how these work. Do I use these on the connectors on the planes themselves and the batteries? Also, how does one select the right plugs? There are a lot of choices and I have no idea what guage wire is being used in this plane or my EDF jet that happens to also use a 1300 mah battery. The only difference is that it uses Deans connectors.

I will have two with the correct connectors for each plane for a total of 4 1300 mah batteries.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Good question GBY. If you go to their website they explain the pole ends and size wire. What I can tell you is that the 15,30, and 45 (barrels) or metal connectors all fit the same plastic housing and all will connect with one another .In example, a 15 can connect to a 45. I use a little of each in most of my projects depending on the wire size. My 1300mah batteries use 15s, but the ESC uses 30. My higher 3300 mah batteries and 60 ESC use 45. They are all rated for double their number so a 15 can handle 30 amps and a 30 can handle 60 etc. One thing you must understand is that without the Power Pole Tool these are junk and will not be very reliable. Their tool is expensive at $39.99, but is the key. I find I use these things are useful for everything from work to around the house so I think the tool is worth every penny. Their tool is quite unique and nothing is easier then using it. If I were you I would buy the tool. a set of Power Pole 15s(housings and connectors in one bag0 and a loose bag of 30 metal connectors to start. The 45s are useful for thick 12 and 10 gauge wire, but most little foamies don't use these.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,849 Posts
Thank you for the explaination. That is something I will consider before my next battery purchase.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Gee just when I got the hang of soldering Dean's! Thanks Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Deans are smaller and will serve you better in smaller planes.
I have fallen in love with EC3 plugs and have switched everything I have over to them.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
EC3 are a pain to disconnect and connect. Plus it is possible to connect them backwards and short out your plane. Power Poles that would be impossible.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
I had a lot of problems with the Deans getting too hard to plug and unplug, I have been using the EC3 plugs for a year now and have never had a problem getting them together or apart. Also they holes are different so I don't know how any duffus could plug them in wrong. It's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Their square can fit the round hole with enough force or if you every removed the cover in the past they get very loose. I added an SPC connector to an ESC and made the rookie mistake of trying to salvage the blue plastic cover. Trust me an EC3 cover cannot be used twice once taken off. I almost became a qualified duffus.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
That's a good tip, I won't have to worry about that since I never try to reuse a connector. They are very cheap from hobbyking and I keep plenty on hand. I like new stuff when I'm soldering connectors.

Here is a rookie mistake I made when I first started soldering.
I soldered a male deans plug to the battery and before I knew it, both post touched my wedding ring and it sparked, melted the gold just enough to grip it for a couple of seconds and my ring got pretty hot. I yanked the battery loose from my ring and stuck my hand under cold water quickly. Luckily I didn't get burned but my heart was pounding like there was no tomorrow
I don't have to worry about this with EC3 because there is no exposed connector on the male or female connectors.

Anymore and I think we should really take this to a connector thread
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
There is a connector thread?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:55 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Yes,in the Batteries and Chargers forum.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:03 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,317 Posts
Joy! I've been flying micros too much recently. Just took the F4F out for a spin -- it flies sooo much better!

Ps: my vote for EC3 connectors too -- I've never, ever had a problem putting the square peg in the round hole -- it doesn't fit. I must say though, as I get more Turnigy batteries I'm stating to switch over to their XT60 connectors (with the triangle shape on one side).
jdwolters is online now Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Joy! I've been flying micros too much recently. Just took the F4F out for a spin -- it flies sooo much better!

Ps: my vote for EC3 connectors too -- I've never, ever had a problem putting the square peg in the round hole -- it doesn't fit. I must say though, as I get more Turnigy batteries I'm stating to switch over to their XT60 connectors (with the triangle shape on one side).
I like the XT60 also, but I'm in deep with the EC3 connectors. I probably have more than 50 on batteries and esc. I really don't want to go through swapping them all out again.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Yeah, you are definitely committed to that connector. I only switched from gas to electric about a year and half ago. If I had to convert now versus a year ago I might not consider it and I have less then half the batteries you have. Someone just getting into it like GBL now is the time.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I went way outside the box... I chose to go with Traxxas connectors

Excellent contact surface area and easier to plug and unplug compared to Deans. Soldering and assembly is also much easier than Deans...

Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro