HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:47 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
How's the p51's tip-stall characteristics v.s. the f4f? More likely to stall on slow turns? less likely? I guess the only other airframe i'm seriously considering (based on looks alone at the moment) is the Corsair. But there's not much room in/on the cockpit hatch for fpv gear.
If you are just putting around the two are really similar. The f4f is easier to launch because it keeps its nose up without extra input while it is climbing out (the p51 drops its nose so you need to aim higher or throw harder). The f4f is a little more floaty and slides better along the grass. The p51, on the other hand handles speed better and is a little more neutral when rolling and going upside down; it doesn't try to nose up either.

So, when going slow I would give the advantage to the f4f. At medium speeds they are the same. At high speeds the p51 shines.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,878 Posts
Quote:
thanks JD.
now I am looking to go wild, so let's say I add that second motor you suggested, my 65a esc should be plenty to support it... but since I'm adding theextra weight of an fpv setup, what kind of reinforcements should I consider for the airframe itself? Surely the stock plane alone wouldn't be adequate for the added weight and speed.

glue the wings to the fuse?
laminate the whole thing?
Man you are heading some place!
65 amp esc tucked in a Wildcat, vertical + fpv.
May be I get it.
It is not about filming, it is first person!
What combat?
I think you need a bigger air frame!
There is the function over form thing.
T-28 may be stop gap.
A 1400mm Hellcat is some thing to behold.
A Jug that size is amazing.
Bet a 40 size ultra stick blows them off!
The E-flight mini ultra stick, absolutely blows off the Wildcat in every preformance respect.
Once again function or form.
Have just about ripped wings off Wildcat with a power 15.
MUS does not even shrug with a 15!
Look pretty or fly?
Want good photos? Chop the nose of a Multiplex Easystar II.
Hard to know what you are after from here!
Curious to see were ya go! Good luck! Chris
Wamp is online now Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
192 Posts
Yeah.. I think you get it Chris.

It's not about filming smooth shots or slow flying high-altitude scenery footage. I think airborne-go-kart is probably a good way to explain it. Basically I plan to clear out the cockpit to make way for a pan-tilt camera since my goggles will have the headtracker, that way I can look around while I'm flying.

The idea is pretty much as "VitaminJ" did in this video:
P-51 Mustang FPV Over the Lake (4 min 32 sec)

Only I want to do the same with the wildcat..if she can handle it. VitaminJ used a Dynam (1200mm i think?) p51.

I like how warbirds look when they're up on my wall, that's why i'm hung up on them.. and their flying characteristics are good fun. If this project succeeds, i might build another for a friend so that we can fly in formation.. but that's way down the road.. first I gotta decide on my airframe. hehe. Cool thing about the wildcat is that it's got a big surface area where the cockpit is.. so plenty of room for the camera.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Yeah.. I think you get it Chris.

It's not about filming smooth shots or slow flying high-altitude scenery footage. I think airborne-go-kart is probably a good way to explain it. Basically I plan to clear out the cockpit to make way for a pan-tilt camera since my goggles will have the headtracker, that way I can look around while I'm flying.

The idea is pretty much as "VitaminJ" did in this video:
http://youtu.be/uGZqF7R4I80

Only I want to do the same with the wildcat..if she can handle it. VitaminJ used a Dynam (1200mm i think?) p51.

I like how warbirds look when they're up on my wall, that's why i'm hung up on them.. and their flying characteristics are good fun. If this project succeeds, i might build another for a friend so that we can fly in formation.. but that's way down the road.. first I gotta decide on my airframe. hehe. Cool thing about the wildcat is that it's got a big surface area where the cockpit is.. so plenty of room for the camera.
Yes yes! Very cool Cameras have come a long way.
I will watch the Mustan vid later.
Formation, what a concept.
I expect the fpv stuff that was state of the art, 2 years ago is klunky.
I am thinking a big shallow pitch prop and may be even one of these new multi axis gyros will help.
Ironic, in that my thinking has it, that the gyros would make up for the fact ones vestibular system in not in the plane and ones eyes are not in the plane.
Please keep us posted on how you proceed! Chris
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:03 AM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
192 Posts
I can't seem to get a straight answer about this online.

Does the F4F airframe kit (PKZ1970) come with servos pre-installed in the wings?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:23 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,370 Posts
Quote:
I can't seem to get a straight answer about this online.

Does the F4F airframe kit (PKZ1970) come with servos pre-installed in the wings?
...no
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,878 Posts
Mine did not.
Nice touch it came with the prop and prop adapter! Chris
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:17 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
192 Posts
can you guys suggest from stronger servos from hobby king .. something that will handle the speeds this motor upgrade is going to be putting down. Or are the stock servos adequate?

thanks.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,237 Posts
The speed won't matter as long as you don't slam on the controls too hard. You might add blenderm tape to all of the hinges and replace your elevator servo with one with metal gears. I recently got some replacement servos. I didn't want to wait so long so I got a parkzone metal gear (pkz1090) and some HS-55 plastic gear servos from HH.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Last edited by jdwolters; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
825 Posts
Quote:
can you guys suggest from stronger servos from hobby king .. something that will handle the speeds this motor upgrade is going to be putting down. Or are the stock servos adequate?

thanks.
If your going to upgrade to better servos go with the HS-55. They are a perfect fit for any PZ airplane and the cost (usually <$10) can't be beat.

Don't forget you get what you pay for.....just sayin'

Don
AMA 384859
dlt2859 is offline Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,878 Posts
Quote:

thanks.
I am done with hobby king.
Try Heads up Rc!
If you go digital, check to see if your bec is adequate.
Good luck. Chris
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Bent motor shaft

Crashed my wildcat friday, broken cowel and I bent my motor shaft or prop adapter. Still have to prove if motor shaft or prop adapter is bent. Can the motor shaft be replaced without buying a new motor if the wobble proves to be the motor shaft?
tc16 is offline Find More Posts by tc16
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc16 View Post
Crashed my wildcat friday, broken cowel and I bent my motor shaft or prop adapter. Still have to prove if motor shaft or prop adapter is bent. Can the motor shaft be replaced without buying a new motor if the wobble proves to be the motor shaft?
I have done 2 shafts (same type of motor), one on my Stinson and one last week on my WildCat. If you have good quality hex keys the shaft change goes good. My Wildcat took 15min total. I stripped the grub screws on the Stinson motor, and had to grind the collar off and replace it.
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebl468 View Post
I have done 2 shafts (same type of motor), one on my Stinson and one last week on my WildCat. If you have good quality hex keys the shaft change goes good. My Wildcat took 15min total. I stripped the grub screws on the Stinson motor, and had to grind the collar off and replace it.
Great I will get a shaft. Do you just remove the two end caps and replace the shafts. Does the stator have to removed from the shaft.
tc16 is offline Find More Posts by tc16
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Wildcat Noob

After learning to fly a Radian, I decided to go with the Wildcat as a first power plane. I'm learning a few things the hard way, but boy is that one tough plane! My worst crash broke the motor mount right off the fusalage. I glued it back together ( and a couple of times since) and it still flys. Unbelievable. This is great fun, and I am looking forward to reading more of this thread.
Mark1976 is offline Find More Posts by Mark1976