RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:26 PM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Tale of Woe!

As I was waiting for the delivery of a new plane, which is in some damn Post Office depot somewhere...... I decided to fling my little F4 Wildcat into the air......

Yes it was windy, but the first flight went super, bucked a bit but all in complete control Lovely landing, and a great flight all round.

Changed batteries, hand full of throttle and launched it into the breeze.................

BANG

Straight into the deck at near as dammit full throttle!

I pulled back and shut the throttle as soon as I could but to no avail!

Cowl disintergrated, and one wing a bit loose?? But apart from that all appeared in order. Prop, motor shaft, engine mount all looked ok????? What the

As it appeared that only the cowl took the full force of the impact, I reassembled it.
Had to glue the wing back onto it's plastic little frame which was weird - as no glue seemed to have been in contact between these pieces before the impact!!

All Wildcat Owners - check your wings are glued to the little plastic frame that sits in the fuselage wing root. Mine appeared to NOT have been stuck??

When it was back together, went through all checks to make sure all was well. Everything seemed fine.....

Just before I launched it - my eye caught a glimpse of the elevator which was deflected down - luckily in time to abort the launch!!

Checked all trims and controls and all were set as per the first 'successful' flight. BUT - the elevator was deflected a good 15% down, so no wonder it hit the deck? All controls moved ok - even the elevator - and I'm at a loss as to why on the first flight everything was fine, and the elevator now was in a different position!

After the first flight, all we did was have a 20mins chin wag with the other guys, and just replaced the battery, didn't check - but the elevator was now visibly aiming down??

I have no idea how or why this happened??

Wind was picking up, so put sensible head on and came home.

Never heard anything else like this before.??

Luckily the plane seems to have survived, except the cowl.

Just ordered a new one and some T28 props, so hopefully all will be ok?

I will make a point to check the central position for all control surfaces before my next flights on this and any other plane.
Redzed9 is online now Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,154 Posts
Sorry to hear of the accident Redzed,

BTW, can I be so bold as to recommend you order two cowls while you're at it...they're not that much, and better to have more than less. I always like to have more props and cowls in supply; it seems to help keep accidents at bay...

I really wish I had a definitive answer for your crash; without insinuating that you didn't, I always perform a functions check and control check prior to flight....just good procedure to help keep the gremlins away...who knows what it could have been. Without being there, anything is pure speculation, plain and simple.

Bottom line, I'm happy that you seem to have escaped only mildly scathed and easily repairable. One of the benefits of flying PZ models....durability and easy repairs.

Cheers my friend and I hope you are back in the air soon!

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Aug 29, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,878 Posts
Yikes, droid got me.
After a nose in I found the elevator man degrees down.
The servo control arm had skipped a few teeth.
Recentering the servo and replacing the arm got Wildcat back in the air.
The servo is still in service.
At one point the sleeve came lose and bound the servo, no up E!-
Also the elevator control horn may look fine, but can be very lose.
Wildcat can deal with a big motor or a lot of wind if all is in good shape.
Good luck. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
Semper fera cattus
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
PZ Wildcat - silver scheme

Wildcat respray to differentiate mine from others at the flying field.
Black wing tips are to improve visibility. Later I added black rudder for viz.
I had a can of silver automotive paint in stock, and hoped it would withstand masking tape, which it did.
1. Krylon Indoor-Outdoor - gray primer
2. Dupli-Color Caliper Paint - WITH CERAMIC
3. Krylon FUSION for Plastic - gloss black (for tips and rudder)
4. Krylon Indoor-Outdoor - flat black (for anti glare panel)
5. Callie Graphics markings

No problems with any of the paints on this project.
For me the silver scheme is more visible in flight than the factory light blue, or my dark blue respray (Post 8376)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22236561
Roy G Biv is offline Find More Posts by Roy G Biv
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Sorry to hear of the accident Redzed,

BTW, can I be so bold as to recommend you order two cowls while you're at it...they're not that much, and better to have more than less. I always like to have more props and cowls in supply; it seems to help keep accidents at bay...

I really wish I had a definitive answer for your crash; without insinuating that you didn't, I always perform a functions check and control check prior to flight....just good procedure to help keep the gremlins at bay...who knows what it could have been. Without being there, anything is pure speculation, plain and simple.

Bottom line, I'm happy that you seem to have escaped only mildly scathed and easily repairable. One of the benefits of flying PZ models....durability and easy repairs.

Cheers my friend and I hope you are back in the air soon!

John
Hi John,

I have another "non painted" one that came with the park flyer plastics cockpit upgrade I will be doing sometime, so I do have 2, and I've ordered "enough" propellors as the original one still seems undamaged! Not even a scratch, and still in balance as I think I managed to shut the throttle just b4 impact...

I did check all the controls "for movement in the right direction" before flight, however - when looking from above (me standing & plane on the ground - did not see the downward deflection of elevator prior to launch.. I'll be checking this "centered position" on all future flights.

Puzzled me, as the first flight was really super - even in the wind. It just proves what a tough little bird this plane is.

Looking forward to getting it back in the air soon, as it is soooo much fun to fly...
Last edited by Redzed9; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Yikes, droid got me.
After a nose in I found the elevator man degrees down.
The servo control arm had skipped a few teeth.
Recentering the servo and replacing the arm got Wildcat back in the air.
The servo is still in service.
At one point the sleeve came lose and bound the servo, no up E!-
Also the elevator control horn may look fine, but can be very lose.
Wildcat can deal with a big motor or a lot of wind if all is in good shape.
Good luck. Chris
Hi Wamp,

This is exactly what I'm thinking as the elevator definitely was deflected down and I didn't (knowingly) do anything to change this setting??

The servo now "in the neutral control position" does not appear at 90 degrees so could be the servo arm is off set. I'll go and play with this to reset it back to 90degrees to give full travel each way.

Servo seems to be working ok?

Sad it crashed, but pleased it is relatively unharmed

As stated before, I'm looking forward to many, many more happy hours blasting this little fun bug around the skies...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Wildcat respray to differentiate mine from others at the flying field.
Black wing tips are to improve visibility. Later I added black rudder for viz.
I had a can of silver automotive paint in stock, and hoped it would withstand masking tape, which it did.
1. Krylon Indoor-Outdoor - gray primer
2. Dupli-Color Caliper Paint - WITH CERAMIC
3. Krylon FUSION for Plastic - gloss black (for tips and rudder)
4. Krylon Indoor-Outdoor - flat black (for anti glare panel)
5. Callie Graphics markings

No problems with any of the paints on this project.
For me the silver scheme is more visible in flight than the factory light blue, or my dark blue respray (Post 8376)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22236561
This looks very good Roy, and a real change from the light blue camoflage which I can confirm becomes "invisible" even in English sky's

I'm considering a paint job, but probably when it gets a bit more battle damage. One question - those rows of little round stipples all over the body & wings?? I'm presuming/ hoping that I can sand these little beggars off when I paint it, but looking at various re-paints on RCG not many seem to have done this.???
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2004
57 Posts
Recommendations for an F4F airframe

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I always wanted this plane but waited until I got better at flying before buying. Now the plug and play version is discontinued. The bind N fly version is a little too expensive for me at this time so I purchased the airframe. I like to build more than fly so now I need a recommendation for a brushless motor. I have an older Castle creation Phoenix 25 speed control and a bunch of small servos, blue birds and HS-55's. I have seen the park zone 480 960 Kv motor in the hobby shop but it's labeled for a T-28 replacement. Is this the same motor for the Wildcat? I don't mind spending a little more money for a better motor if you guys recommend one. Any recommendations for strengthening the wings, ie carbon fiber strips? Any suggestions before I start this project will be most appreciated. I was reading this thread but it's over 570 pages!

Thanks for any replies
Domo Jo
Toothless9 is offline Find More Posts by Toothless9
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Semper fera cattus
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
The little round stipples

> One question - those rows of little round stipples all over the body & wings??

My understanding is they are steam vents required by the molding process.

> I'm presuming/ hoping that I can sand these little beggars off when I paint it,
> but looking at various re-paints on RCG not many seem to have done this.???

Some modelers sand them off for appearance. Most do not notice a performance change.
Seems that individuals decide for themselves whether the new look is worth the sanding work.

- Roy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Semper fera cattus
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
Recommendations for Wildcat mods

Domo Jo

Great to have another builder.Welcome aboard to the message board.

> I was reading this thread but it's over 570 pages!

There is a great deal of good information in these 570 pages - well worth reading

> Any suggestions before I start this project will be most appreciated.

Try this:
http://bit.ly/PrDicS

> Thanks for any replies

Welcome.
- Roy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
Hello, I'm new to this thread. I always wanted this plane but waited until I got better at flying before buying. Now the plug and play version is discontinued. The bind N fly version is a little too expensive for me at this time so I purchased the airframe. I like to build more than fly so now I need a recommendation for a brushless motor. I have an older Castle creation Phoenix 25 speed control and a bunch of small servos, blue birds and HS-55's. I have seen the park zone 480 960 Kv motor in the hobby shop but it's labeled for a T-28 replacement. Is this the same motor for the Wildcat? I don't mind spending a little more money for a better motor if you guys recommend one. Any recommendations for strengthening the wings, ie carbon fiber strips? Any suggestions before I start this project will be most appreciated. I was reading this thread but it's over 570 pages!

Thanks for any replies
Domo Jo
Hey, the HS-55 servos will be great. The 25A ESC is also perfect for a 480 motor. Get. T-28 prop and collet, and you're all set. You could also get a turnigy 3542, with a bigger ESC to match. With turnigy, look for xx42 -- where '42' is the distance from the back of the motor to the start of the collet; this will make mounting easy.

Ps: actually a turnigy 3536 fits the spec the best; you'll have to add spacers to bring it out 6mm, which isn't too bad.
jdwolters is online now Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,154 Posts
DJ,

The 480/960 is the Wildcat motor as well.....and the PZ P-51 BL motor! It's a Parkzone workhorse that's found it's way into several models in the Parkzone line.

Don't worry about it being labelled as a "T-28 Replacement Motor"....it is, but it's also the motor behind the Wildcat's cowl...

Welcome to the community! These are fantastic models that are a pure joy to fly and lend themselves well to numerous mods and paint schemes, if one desires...just look at Roy's silver trainer scheme for example !

Cheers and happy flying !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzed9 View Post
Hi John,

I have another "non painted" one that came with the park flyer plastics cockpit upgrade I will be doing sometime, so I do have 2, and I've ordered "enough" propellors as the original one still seems undamaged! Not even a scratch, and still in balance as I think I managed to shut the throttle just b4 impact...

I did check all the controls "for movement in the right direction" before flight, however - when looking from above (me atanding & plane on the ground - did not see the downward deflection of elevator prior to launch.. I'll be checking this "centered position" on all future flights.

Puzzled me, as the first flight was really super - even in the wind. It just proves what a tough little bird this plane is.

Looking forward to getting it back in the air soon, as it is soooo much fun to fly...
The way i check for all surfaces being neutral before each flight s this, hold it like your going to launch it,and wiggle all of the sticks,if everything centres fine, it's up up, and away
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
Hi,

I just got my Wilcat out of the box, all is well. Just have one question:

The bottom of the rudder isn't attached to the fuse, it's loosely taped, but is completely off centerline, by about 1 cm (3/8 inch) bend to the right. Is this normal?? is this flyable?

Should I try to fix this by removing the tape, try to get the bend out, glue it back to the fuse and reinforce with tape? Which glue should I use, it's a verry small surface to glue and it should remain flexible.

Thanks,
Phil
Thibor is offline Find More Posts by Thibor